Jul 3, 2010
2005 duramax
k3500 dually
99K KM (60K miles)
all stock

got fuel.
left hauling 13K goosneck.
with 30 minutes development a limp mode, could go over 40km/hr, or 2000 rpm
turn off, back on, fix. but soon repeated.
had fuel filter changed.
head out again, limp mode again.
dealer pegged egr valve as culprit and changed (1300.00$$ I might add)
left in 2 days on another trip with trailer.
limp mode again which progress to knocking and white smoke on acceleration.
here is a video of what its doing.

youtube.com/watch?v=UaidJVXmWZE&list=UU5SBRu8rEYl38TituZra0Eg&index=1&feature=plcp

dealer has had it for 3 days now and between them and GM engineers they are stumped as to cause. never eny engine light come on to date. flushed/cleaned injectors... checked wire arness 2&7..they tell me this engine has no vacuum pump? I and they are at a loss

any suggestion?

chris, nova scotia

Chevy1925

don't know sh!t about IFS
Staff member
Oct 21, 2009
Phoenix Az
sounds like water in fuel or you put gas in the tank instead of diesel

id drain the tank and start from there

RKTMech

Idiot with a wrench
Aug 18, 2008
The Norco's
I like the fuel issue idea, sorry to hear about the egr reaming, dont even see where that could have been a guess with the info we have!

bub549

Jul 3, 2010
truck just left dealer, I had them send to a private shop (they now tell me their disel tech is on vacation after today and wont be back for another week so I had no choice)).. they gave me another bill for 1189.00 and I got f-all to show for it. same issues before I ever set foot in there. I've had diesel trucks for 8 years now and can't imagine ever putting gas in it. It may have been bad fuel but they flushed and clean and still no better....lets see what this guy can do...I am not in a large metro are and don't have a lot of choices....

doug9940

Ca LLY
Dec 6, 2009
Corona, Ca.
truck just left dealer, I had them send to a private shop (they now tell me their disel tech is on vacation after today and wont be back for another week so I had no choice)).. they gave me another bill for 1189.00 and I got f-all to show for it. same issues before I ever set foot in there. I've had diesel trucks for 8 years now and can't imagine ever putting gas in it. It may have been bad fuel but they flushed and clean and still no better....lets see what this guy can do...I am not in a large metro are and don't have a lot of choices....

What did they do this time for $1189.00??????

bub549

Jul 3, 2010
another scan, flushed fuel system which they sd took over 2 hours, then 95/hr for labor x however many hours they claimed to have diddled with it. they did take 20% and subtracted 1.5 hours for me and lowered it to 923.27 (just to be nice after I got a little irrate) + the 1400 I pd last week for the egr valve...so nice of them.... hope they sleep well at night

bub549

Jul 3, 2010
I am 50 minutes away at work... they are holding the keys.. and would not take it to another shop until bill paid...I am waiting for GM canada to call me back

blk smoke lb7

<-----Lots of green $
Nov 8, 2010
belvidere,ill
So 2400 hundred for miss diagnosing i wouldnt be paying and sending a letter to GM as far as the bill.I know this doesnt get the truck fixed but 2400 and no fix is hard to swallow

Ryan T

Sep 5, 2010
CA
i wouldnt pay them sh!t unless my truck was fixed, id demand all my money back, you shouldnt be paying them for something they arent fixing ,its not ur fault they cant diagnose the problem.. i think its illegal to fix/charge for a misdiagnosis.

blk smoke lb7

<-----Lots of green $
Nov 8, 2010
belvidere,ill
I have heard if the fuel supply line gets a small crack or a pinhole on 1 of the innner layers it can take a little bit but it will ballon up and cut the fuel off.

Chevy1925

don't know sh!t about IFS
Staff member
Oct 21, 2009
Phoenix Az
I am 50 minutes away at work... they are holding the keys.. and would not take it to another shop until bill paid...I am waiting for GM canada to call me back

I know you probably think its easy for us to say not to pay cause we are not in your situation but man, that dealer is stickin it to ya. I would be payin credit card then disputing the charge and goin to court if need be. You basically paid 2400 for them to stand around and say "yup, that there is a dmax".

bub549

Jul 3, 2010
just got off the phone with elizabeth, she was oh so supportive and empathetic, gag, ...offered to find me the next closest dealer as she does not control when a dealer's staff takes a vacation... I told her at an average of 6-700/day I'm sure they'de keep it there for as long as it took to figure it out...

Hot COCOAL

May the farce be with you
Jun 9, 2012
Tell the dealership how unhappy you are, and that you are going to the local news. Go to your local police(here i would say county sheriffs office) and file a police report, file a claim with a better business association, actually go to the local news, some big news stations have investigative consumer reports. Go public and see how quick you truck gets fixed for free. Cuz they are takin you hard, they know it.

Darius6t9

I'm the Floater. Lurking.
Aug 23, 2008
Rusk, Tx. Again
At the dealership I work at, customer don't pay squat if we can't find what is wrong when there is obviously a problem. They only pay the Diag time and the actual fix labor and parts. If it was misdiagnosed then they don't pay for that. Just what actually fixes the problem.

ddac44

Jul 13, 2012
El Paso, TX
I am a diesel mechanic with more than 20 years exp. I've worked at dealerships, independent shops and taught diesel tech at the collage level. I mostly work on semi trucks but switched to the small stuff about 3yrs ago. Don't think the dealers are experts. I've seen my share of dips. Its hard to take it somewhere else because GM is stingy with the diagnostic software. Most of the techs nowadays can't find their ass if the computer didn't tell them where it was.
I am working on a truck with a similar problem now. I don't want to get too much into your business but give you things to think about. OBD2 only can tell you when a sensor has failed or is out of parameter or if an electronic component is not responding. It will not detect mechanical failure. They need to preform a cylinder balance test which will show the percentage of power each is producing along with a cutout test.
White smoke in a cold engine is unburnt fuel, its caused by water droplets in the fuel. In a warm engine, its coolant entering the cylinder. The knocking is usually an injector running lean. Clogged nozzles will not set a code.
When an engine goes into "Limp-Home" mode, its because the ECM detected something wrong that will destroy the engine or transmission like overheating or low oil pressure. But a crank or tps sensor will cause the same reaction its usually followed by a code.
I noticed that you have an 05 with about 100k kms. It may be hard to believe, but thats not good for diesel engines (great for resale) but they need to be worked.
A leaking injector cup or warped head will cause much of what you describe but to find it is expensive because they will have to pull all the injectors. A reman engine is $7k at the dealer which is overkill but you have already spent half as much. Just to let you know, not telling you to run out now and buy. The balance test will narrow it down.

Last edited:

bub549

Jul 3, 2010
thanks for the input. I am giving it today for this guy to try and diagnose, then its off to buy a new f350... missed one too many family vacations...

S Phinney

Aug 15, 2008
Quncy, Fl
White smoke can be from injectors in either cold or warm engine conditions also. The injector allowing fuel into the cylinder when it isn't suppose to be doing that. Low compression on cold startups can cause white smoking too. Many symptoms are the same for a different part failure. Computers will not tell you what your problem is. A real diesel technician can.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk 2