Dealer...Fast learn

Builtlngbd

Aug 24, 2009
oka so after i got my new tranny installed and all the bugs worked out i took it down to the dealer to have them put it in fast learn. the mechanic that was going to do it said he had no idea what that was but that he would re-flash the tcm. is that the same thing or 2 different things?

paint94979

Beer Nazi
Sep 18, 2006
oka so after i got my new tranny installed and all the bugs worked out i took it down to the dealer to have them put it in fast learn. the mechanic that was going to do it said he had no idea what that was but that he would re-flash the tcm. is that the same thing or 2 different things?

completely 2 different things... call Mike L.

stacks04

Nov 16, 2007
Terryville,Ct
i am not sure a reflash clears the taps or not even still its not a fast learn mode replacement. dont do many tcm reflash here. i do know the fast learn does just that, and it makes all the difference vs a tap clear.

Last edited:

rgullett83

Oct 27, 2008
Illinois
i am not sure a reflash clears the taps or not even still its not a fast learn mode replacement. dont do many tcm reflash here. i do know the fast learn does just that, and it makes all the difference vs a tap clear.

x2 needs to be fast learn. Tell him to go to Transmission output controls, and scroll down to fast learn procedure. Or tell him to look it up on Service Information.

Rikter

Grumpy, old, farty, funny
Jan 14, 2010
Calgary
Fast Dealer Learn?

Really? We need to tell a stealer mechanic how to do some of this? Hardly seems right. They are trained by GM's tech center and should know this. Do you get a "service charge" rebate for teaching the mech?:confused:

stacks04

Nov 16, 2007
Terryville,Ct
i'd bet a good portion of the dealers havent done so much as a fuel filter on a dmax truck let alone a fast learn. the fast learn really only needs to be done when the trans gets rebuilt, which on a stock truck rarely happens. i bet if i walked next door to the truck dept and asked them what it is, they would not know. we are new englands biggest dealer:(. its a sad day when a loley used car prep guy knows more about these trucks then the guys doing most of the work on them.

Builtlngbd

Aug 24, 2009
oka so ive put 200 miles on it and it has gotten a little better but still shifts hard and revs up then catches on the 2-3 upshift. does it just take time so straightin out?

thanks guys

Builtlngbd

Aug 24, 2009
Oka so I have 1295 mikes on it. And 2nd-3rd revs up then grabs and same on 5-6th. It has gotten smoother under light throttle but the more throttle I give it the harsher it is. All I did was clear the taps like mike l. Said. Is this normal and just need more time?

Mike L.

Got Sheep?
Staff member
Vendor/Sponsor
Aug 12, 2006
Fullerton CA
Need to do stop and go driving and run it through the gears. get more aggressive with the throttle as shifts begin to clear up. Some trucks take longer than others depending on how abusive you were to the Alli. If it doesn't clear up, you may need to go back into the trans.

Builtlngbd

Aug 24, 2009
oka so i finnally said screw it and went back to the dealer and had to walk the tech thro on how to fast learn it lol. trans is tickin off tha gears and is alot better. All the other times ive rebuilt it i just cleared the taps with efi and its been good. Guess this time it just didnt work right. Thanks for tha responses guys and mike also:thumb: