Dealer F-up

WSUcowboy

500 club baby!!
Aug 7, 2006
Spokane, WA
So I was having some major issues with my trans, to make a long story short the chevy dealer R&R'd the Valvebody, something I could have done but didnt have the time. I got it back and things were going good, but the truck sat overnight and then wouldnt shift in the morning.

I replaced the ignition switch and in the process had to remove my remote start/ alarm. And I replaced the spin-on even though it was only 1 month old. I did this stuff at the recommendation of quite a few member both here and on another forum.

The next morning it did the same thing. I finally got around to looking at the bill for the Valvebody R&R and noticed the dealer only put 12qts of ATF in. Now if this was a stock trans with a stock pan that wouldnt be an issue, but I have the Deep Pan.

The trans was 4 QTS low on ATF!!!! I added the ATF and All is well. My question is what kind of recourse do I have with the Dealer??? All in all I drove about 150 miles while low in fluid, I am going to call them on Monday and I am fuming.... what do I do? I am into the extra parts about $150 I no longer have my remote start/alarm.

Does anyone have an idea as to what I should do? -Jeff

SIKDMAX

Highway Burnouts!
Sep 14, 2007
Central Coast, Cali
www.sikdmax.com
Eh, what you did was an aftermarket modification, yes the tech should have noticed its a bigger pan than usual and adjusted according (and charging you for the extra fluid), but he didnt. Id say be happy about your tranny being fixed and move on. You did a lot of really unnecessary stuff before checking the fluid, that probably should have been one of the first steps.

WSUcowboy

500 club baby!!
Aug 7, 2006
Spokane, WA
True, but I thought (like an idiot) that their "tranny expert" would have checked the fluid level.....

One of my first jobs was for Jiffy Lube (I know, I know...) but the first thing that they taught us was to check, and then double check all fluid levels...... before AND after working on ANYTHING

othrgrl

Diesel Addiction Owner
Mar 10, 2008
Wilmington NC
www.mydieseladdiction.com
I doubt you can get reimbursed for anything that you troubleshot and did yourself - i.e. remote start and ignition. I would have checked fluid first then assumed a stuck valve in the new valve body. You probably won't get anything out of them for your troubles and even if being low on fluid shortened the life of your trans you can't really prove it so they'll do nothing.