LB7: Dead lb7 help

zack

I love strippers
Oct 3, 2009
Edmonton, AB
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

A friend of mine just picked up a dead LB7, wouldnt run.

Replaced all the fuses, oil change, filters, primed, still wouldnt run

Found out it was a relay, replaced that, started..

It ran really rough with a lot of knocking and white smoke, then it started making "ting bang ting" noises and got louder and then shut off and wont start anymore.

The starter engages but the truck WILL NOT turn over.

(side not, previous owner used a shitload of ether before to try and get it started, with no success, i think that may be part of the issue)

ANY IDEAS ON WHAT WE CAN DO?!?!?! got a steal of a deal on this rig and would love to get it running.

JMK777

16's, but i keep em clean
Mar 20, 2008
Moss Beach
take the oil cap off and start it up and see if smoke or blow-by comes out. compression check with the injector fuse out. could be a bad injector or piston. any codes???

JMK777

16's, but i keep em clean
Mar 20, 2008
Moss Beach
oops:eek: just seen that you cant start it. is it locked? put a barker bar on the balancer bolt see if it will turn

ZeroGravity58

Mar 23, 2008
Maryland
take the oil cap off and start it up and see if smoke or blow-by comes out. compression check with the injector fuse out. could be a bad injector or piston. any codes???

says the starter engauges but the trck will not turn over so he cant do this. If the guy used ether it could of bent a rod or ate a piston. this could be why it was running rough and chugging white smoke. sounds to me like you may have to pull the motor...

Last edited:

zack

I love strippers
Oct 3, 2009
Edmonton, AB
yep previous owner was convinced ether would have started it, guess he failed to read the "immediate engine damage will occur" under the hood in plain sight. Looks like a motor build in our future..

ZeroGravity58

Mar 23, 2008
Maryland
if i had to guess i would say bent rods. the noise you may of heard might of been the pistons hitting the crank. Then it finally let go on you and locked up.

TheBac

Why do I keep doing this?
Staff member
Apr 19, 2008
Mid Michigan
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

A friend of mine just picked up a dead LB7, wouldnt run.

Replaced all the fuses, oil change, filters, primed, still wouldnt run

Found out it was a relay, replaced that, started..

It ran really rough with a lot of knocking and white smoke, then it started making "ting bang ting" noises and got louder and then shut off and wont start anymore.

The starter engages but the truck WILL NOT turn over.

(side not, previous owner used a shitload of ether before to try and get it started, with no success, i think that may be part of the issue)

ANY IDEAS ON WHAT WE CAN DO?!?!?! got a steal of a deal on this rig and would love to get it running.

IMO, the previous owners idiocy in using ether bent/tweaked a/some rods, so the ting-ting you heard was probably the crank hitting a piston and freezing the motor up.

Simple fix is to lift the oil cap and put a new motor under it.

Just my opinion though....

ON EDIT: I didnt see Zero's post before I wrote mine.

Last edited:

TrentNell

Finally underway !!!!!
Jul 7, 2008
slc tuah
Same thing my GMC did , wouldn't fire for nothing , it was hydro locked also , ended up being head gaskets , and 2 bad pistons I would have him start looking for a used short block .

zack

I love strippers
Oct 3, 2009
Edmonton, AB
ya he got it for a sick price its got a brand new alli in it (5 speed) he was hoping he could make it run but doesnt want anything to do with it anymore, I might buy it off him and pull the motor out and try and rebuild it and throw it in a old ck blazer 2500 bogger.. I dunno tho. Thanks for the help guys I figured it was blown.