De-Lip or not?

RENODMAX

Dead Wrong
Mar 4, 2008
For the record, I don't plan on de-lipping anymore than necessary. I'm not cutting to lower compression. The build will never make tons of boost or really have big chargers either. Just a reasonable small pair or parallel twins to get the job done.

Injectors will likely be sent to extrude hone to cut down on PW needed for the power level. Other than that, she'll be stock unless I hit the lottery. :)

If youre running parallel turbos you could potentially make a lot of power in theory just due to charger efficiency. Just something to think about. I'd spend that money on the motor over the charger setup. You can always add that later.

Oct 16, 2008
Idaho
If youre running parallel turbos you could potentially make a lot of power in theory just due to charger efficiency. Just something to think about. I'd spend that money on the motor over the charger setup. You can always add that later.

I realize that, but running a single turbo on a V8 in an open engine bay doesn't look right IMO. You can always gate the chargers to keep the power down. There are also quite a few cheap turbo options that make a parallel setup really inexpensive. Especially if I'm not trying to make big big power. I doubt I'll be into the entire setup half the cost of a set of rods or pistons, let alone both.

RENODMAX

Dead Wrong
Mar 4, 2008
I realize that, but running a single turbo on a V8 in an open engine bay doesn't look right IMO. You can always gate the chargers to keep the power down. There are also quite a few cheap turbo options that make a parallel setup really inexpensive. Especially if I'm not trying to make big big power. I doubt I'll be into the entire setup half the cost of a set of rods or pistons, let alone both.

Piping and manifolds still aren't cheap. That's assuming youre tig welding all your own stuff and not paying someone.

Oct 16, 2008
Idaho
Piping and manifolds still aren't cheap. That's assuming youre tig welding all your own stuff and not paying someone.

You're also assuming I'm not flipping the factory manifolds forward and running short connector pipes to the turbos. While some of the big builds may need a header type manifold and they look awesome, I just don't see a need for them for what I'm doing. Other than the wow factor, which for the price I'll live without for the initial build. :)

RENODMAX

Dead Wrong
Mar 4, 2008
You're also assuming I'm not flipping the factory manifolds forward and running short connector pipes to the turbos. While some of the big builds may need a header type manifold and they look awesome, I just don't see a need for them for what I'm doing. Other than the wow factor, which for the price I'll live without for the initial build. :)

Even still you need stainless tubing to pedestal mounts for chargers new IC tubing etc.. Cant be cheap is all I'm saying.

Chevy1925

don't know sh!t about IFS
Staff member
Oct 21, 2009
Phoenix Az
Because to do it right you need a new intake manifold either custom or the banks. I think its a very cool idea just don't see it being cheaper than rods.

You dont need that to run parallel turbos. all you gotta do is make a y-pipe off the two charge pipes from the chargers and run them into the intercooler. whos to say your way is right?

RENODMAX

Dead Wrong
Mar 4, 2008
You dont need that to run parallel turbos. all you gotta do is make a y-pipe off the two charge pipes from the chargers and run them into the intercooler. whos to say your way is right?

It's not "my way" and you could definitely y the piping if you wanted to. My only point was no matter which way you cut it a custom set up like that will cost close to what rods do. Even more if you're paying someone to build it for you.

DIESELMAFIAPER.LB7

<----new hotness
Jan 17, 2010
idaho
shop.dieselmafiaperformance.com
I delipped mine Levi Troys in rigby Does awesome work an may as well balance it to made mine idle alot smoother power is smoother to IMO doesn't cost much to balance it let me know what you decided I want to see that thing when its bout done

Last edited:
Oct 16, 2008
Idaho
Because to do it right you need a new intake manifold either custom or the banks. I think its a very cool idea just don't see it being cheaper than rods.

Intake doesn't really have anything to do with the running parallels IMO. It doesn't know how many chargers are feeding it. More than likely just do a Y pipe to join the two pipes before the engine. I've got some ideas for the intake that won't be stock but not cost an arm and a leg.

I understand what you're sayin. Not trying to argue with you, I just feel like there's more than one way to skin a cat. I don't have any desire to spend a zillion dollars on it, kind of takes the fun out of it IMO.

May I ask what kind of vehicle are you doing if it is so light?

All aluminum Freightliner cab, sectioned 14 inches and chopped 7 inches. Just about done with the cab and getting ready to mock up for chassis. I'll build an aluminum bed to go along with it. Cab is probably in the 200lb+- range. Figure I can keep it under 2300lbs with a Duramax, 4L80E and a quick change rear.

RENODMAX

Dead Wrong
Mar 4, 2008
Intake doesn't really have anything to do with the running parallels IMO. It doesn't know how many chargers are feeding it. More than likely just do a Y pipe to join the two pipes before the engine. I've got some ideas for the intake that won't be stock but not cost an arm and a leg.

I understand what you're sayin. Not trying to argue with you, I just feel like there's more than one way to skin a cat. I don't have any desire to spend a zillion dollars on it, kind of takes the fun out of it IMO.

All aluminum Freightliner cab, sectioned 14 inches and chopped 7 inches. Just about done with the cab and getting ready to mock up for chassis. I'll build an aluminum bed to go along with it. Cab is probably in the 200lb+- range. Figure I can keep it under 2300lbs with a Duramax, 4L80E and a quick change rear.

I totally agree with you on cost thats why I always put my own stuff together. I would still use stock pistons and go with Carillos or something of the like because you will eventually want to turn it up. Just the nature of the beast.

LWATSON

future trans limpers
Jul 30, 2008
Scotland Neck NC
We delip pistons to remove the sharp edges of the bowl so the pistons dont start cracking.....but doesnt cutting valve reliefs adds 4 separate areas of sharp edges to the crown?
And those edges are sharper than the bowl's were, right?
And those reliefs intersect the bowl, which makes for 8 sharp corners at the bowl edge, right?
So wouldnt those reliefs make for even more spots for the piston to start cracking under stress?
I metioned in an earlier post that I've seen an entire set of cut and coated pistons cracked. One completely failed and upon inspection the other 7 had small cracks beginning where the valve relief and bowl meet. Best I can remember it was two cracks across from each other closest to being over the pin.

Utahski

Oct 20, 2008
Northern Utah
We delip pistons to remove the sharp edges of the bowl so the pistons dont start cracking.....but doesnt cutting valve reliefs adds 4 separate areas of sharp edges to the crown?
And those edges are sharper than the bowl's were, right?
And those reliefs intersect the bowl, which makes for 8 sharp corners at the bowl edge, right?
So wouldnt those reliefs make for even more spots for the piston to start cracking under stress?

My pistons were machined at Mahle. Edges on the valve reliefs came with a radius.