Danville Stg2r Drive Pressure vs RPM's

justin722

Aug 8, 2014
Hey guys,

Just looking for some insight if anyone can help me. Doing a built motor in my truck and already have been running a Danville Stg2r for some time, what I'm wondering is I've been looking at the SoCal 6480 cam to give me a bit higher rpm but I'm afraid of what that might do to drive pressures on this turbo. Does anyone have experience with this or advice that can help me in the right direction?

I appreciate it!!

Reactions: Silver06

ikeG

Oughta Know Better
Apr 19, 2011
Western PA
www.facebook.com
The cam isn't going to "give" you more rpm as much as it's going to enable the engine to make better power at higher rpms. It will make it more efficiently move air, which actually could lower your drive pressure at a given rpm.

Sent from my SM-G990U2 using Tapatalk

Dozerboy

Jun 23, 2009
TX of course
As long as your tuner isn't trying to get 40psi of boost at high RPMs you will be fine.

Are you sled pulling? No other reason to turn that kind of RPMs with that charger.

justin722

Aug 8, 2014
Appreciate both of your replies. I don’t have any first hand experience with this kind of performance, I’ve never had a built motor before or even been around someone who has so I’m figuring it out through research.

I’m certainly not going to be a dedicated sled puller but I would like to sled pull and be streetable, streetable is more priority than sled puller though currently. I wasn’t sure how drastic that 6480 was, I figured the 9200 would definitely be out of question.

Bdsankey

Vendor
Vendor/Sponsor
Feb 1, 2018
Neenah, Wisconsin
Appreciate both of your replies. I don’t have any first hand experience with this kind of performance, I’ve never had a built motor before or even been around someone who has so I’m figuring it out through research.

I’m certainly not going to be a dedicated sled puller but I would like to sled pull and be streetable, streetable is more priority than sled puller though currently. I wasn’t sure how drastic that 6480 was, I figured the 9200 would definitely be out of question.
6480 is a great all around cam but it does require reliefs. The 3388 is also a great cam that offers an improvement over stock.

justin722

Aug 8, 2014
6480 is a great all around cam but it does require reliefs. The 3388 is also a great cam that offers an improvement over stock.
Plan currently is to use fingers cast with reliefs, 6480, Carrillo rods, Callie’s durastar crank, and a girdle (not decided on brand). Probably would do exergy 12mm pump also. Can’t find crap for machine shops that’ll do this near Pittsburgh pa so I may end up going the route of a dmaxstore assembled bottom end or a similar option from elsewhere. Open to options.

Pretty generic build but I think it’d be solid. Feel free to correct me if wrong. Goal is to run stg2r for a bit then maybe a 484 over it down the road when it gets boring.

Bdsankey

Vendor
Vendor/Sponsor
Feb 1, 2018
Neenah, Wisconsin
Plan currently is to use fingers cast with reliefs, 6480, Carrillo rods, Callie’s durastar crank, and a girdle (not decided on brand). Probably would do exergy 12mm pump also. Can’t find crap for machine shops that’ll do this near Pittsburgh pa so I may end up going the route of a dmaxstore assembled bottom end or a similar option from elsewhere. Open to options.

Pretty generic build but I think it’d be solid. Feel free to correct me if wrong. Goal is to run stg2r for a bit then maybe a 484 over it down the road when it gets boring.
Sounds like you've got a pretty good setup going there! What size injector are you planning on running?

juddski88

Freedom Diesel
Jul 1, 2008
Chesterfield, Mass.

There are several great machine shops in PA and OH that can take care of you. Miller Race Engines is not terribly far and would be my first choice in that area.

Reactions: 1TRIKHD

justin722

Aug 8, 2014
Sounds like you've got a pretty good setup going there! What size injector are you planning on running?
Thank you! I have 150% exergy’s currently that I’ll be sticking with for now. Don’t feel I’ll ever need much bigger but who knows right?

justin722

Aug 8, 2014
There are several great machine shops in PA and OH that can take care of you. Miller Race Engines is not terribly far and would be my first choice in that area.
I appreciate it I’ll give them a look, any other notable ones? Maybe I just checked too local.. also in an older area that everyone’s only ever used one or two shops lol