CTS Not a DMAX: New rack and pinion does not line up to dead center steering wheel

fishv12

Jan 30, 2011
Okay this is not my DMax but I need a little help! I am replacing my rack and pinion with a brand new AC Delco unit in my CTS and the steering knuckle which was lined up to dead center won't line up with the input shaft on the new rack and pinion. I can turn my steering wheel to make it work but I don't think that's the way to go... Any advice is appreciated.

chevyburnout1

Fixing it till it breaks
Aug 25, 2008
Berthoud, CO
How far do you have to turn the steering wheel? Did you make sure the steering gear was centered? For example the same amount of turns to the left as to the right. They aren't shipped centered half the time. And your going to have to get an alignment afterwards.

fishv12

Jan 30, 2011
That's the feeling I get that the rack and pinion wasn't centered to start with... Now it's going to be a real pain to turn it as it's installed in the car. I know I need an alignment afterwards but I just have a feeling the rack isn't centered. I just presumed that new racks would just be centered from the get go. First time doing this sort of job... Learning on the fly.

chevyburnout1

Fixing it till it breaks
Aug 25, 2008
Berthoud, CO
As long as it was close and you didn't have to spin the steering wheel more than 180° to line it up. Anything further and you risk aligning the rack one revolution off and destroying your air bag coil.