Cranks will start but dies

Miller1990

Mar 18, 2023
Pontiac80$$
I have a 01 I haven’t had any problems with it ran fine yesterday then parked it. Today go out side it starts runs bout 10 minutes then dies then it cranks and won’t start till you pump it couple times then it dies again, it’s only 20 degrees outside it wasn’t plugged in last night it’s plugged in now waiting for tomorrow but anyone have any ideas? I just put all 8 injectors in it and has 122,000 miles on it

DAVe3283

Heavy & Slow
Sep 3, 2009
Boise, ID, USA
How long ago did you put injectors in it? Usually starting then dying is either fuel gelling in the cold, or sucking air in somewhere. Could be a leaking filter head, or a problem with a fuel line.

Sent from my FlashScan V2 using Tapatalk

Reactions: kidturbo

Miller1990

Mar 18, 2023
Pontiac80$$
How long ago did you put injectors in it? Usually starting then dying is either fuel gelling in the cold, or sucking air in somewhere. Could be a leaking filter head, or a problem with a fuel line.

Prolly less than a month ago and I haven’t changed the filter I thought bout that it’s never done this since it’s been running till yesterday and it was cold. I’ll check those things you mentioned too. Do they have to be plugged in? I thought it was just for the oil?

DAVe3283

Heavy & Slow
Sep 3, 2009
Boise, ID, USA
You don't want to use HEET additive on a diesel I believe. You'd need like Diesel 911 or PowerService or another diesel-specific additive.

I've never had much luck with the anti-gel additives actually working, I've always had to wait for it to warm back up.

Since you haven't changed the filter recently, it's probably worth doing. But if the filter head itself is leaking, that won't fix the dying problem. You can get rebuild kits for the filter head, but you can also get a brand new one for not much more money, so that is what I usually do now. I find the new ones last longer than the rebuild kits.

But don't just throw parts at it, figure out what it needs first.

If you don't KNOW you have winter diesel in, then it could just be gelled up. Wait for the weather to warm up or get the truck inside to warm up, and see if it works again. If so, get winter diesel in it and you're done. If not, test for an air leak and go from there.

Miller1990

Mar 18, 2023
Pontiac80$$
You don't want to use HEET additive on a diesel I believe. You'd need like Diesel 911 or PowerService or another diesel-specific additive.

I've never had much luck with the anti-gel additives actually working, I've always had to wait for it to warm back up.

Since you haven't changed the filter recently, it's probably worth doing. But if the filter head itself is leaking, that won't fix the dying problem. You can get rebuild kits for the filter head, but you can also get a brand new one for not much more money, so that is what I usually do now. I find the new ones last longer than the rebuild kits.

But don't just throw parts at it, figure out what it needs first.

If you don't KNOW you have winter diesel in, then it could just be gelled up. Wait for the weather to warm up or get the truck inside to warm up, and see if it works again. If so, get winter diesel in it and you're done. If not, test for an air leak and go from there.

Sounds good i appreciate it I’ll try that first before buying more parts for it thanks

LBZ

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jul 2, 2007
B.C.
Rebuild the filter head and huck a new filter at it. Then find some diesel 911 and put that in the tank. You just fixed your problem fairly cheaply if it’s either of those two things.

After that you’re going to have to investigate deeper if the problem persists. Anything from a failed rubber hose, kinked fuel line to injectors could be the problem.