Crank shaft roll pins sheared off Reluctor wheel

blown1967camaro

Mar 9, 2014
03 truck wouldn't start, figured out the reluctor was spinning freely on the crank by accessing it through the crank sensor hole. After removing the timing cover we could see the reluctor pin had sheared off, and the crank pulley pin is damaged as well. I found the empire crank kit for the pulley, but nothing for the reluctor gear? Anyone have info on redrilling that roll pin????

TheBac

Why do I keep doing this?
Staff member
Apr 19, 2008
Mid Michigan
Ouch...prybar on the reluctor. Hope you didnt bend it.

I cant say Ive ever heard of anyone successfully drilling out a crank pin before. It looks like the hole is ovalled out anyway.
Search "keying the crank". That'll tell you the best course of action.

S Phinney

Aug 15, 2008
Quncy, Fl
Looks like you will be pulling the crank. It would be very hard to fix in the truck. The damage would make it were you need to key it.

Sent from my XT1080 using Tapatalk

EDP

<<<< Miss The Ol Girl
In this event I would HIGHLY recommend the full removal of the crank and taken to a well reputable machine shop in your area the have the crank completely given the once over over. Then have them install a 5mm key way for both. The crank pin kit we sell is mainly for guys in the stock to lightly modified area and not wanting to remove the crank from the truck.

blown1967camaro

Mar 9, 2014
I'm working with a local machine shop using my old gear as a drill bit guide. Gonna run 2 pins for the balancer and 2 for the reluctor gear. I'll post pics

blown1967camaro

Mar 9, 2014
Used my stud welder for autobody to pull the existing pins, if you ever have to do this it take a few heat cycles for the pin to pop out.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    212.6 KB · Views: 285

TheBac

Why do I keep doing this?
Staff member
Apr 19, 2008
Mid Michigan
You are lucky to have the tools to get those pins out...99.9% of people dont. Good luck on the repair. :thumb:

juddski88

Freedom Diesel
Jul 1, 2008
Chesterfield, Mass.
If you can put new pins in to aid in the re-alignment and drilling of the second broaches, id suggest that. It took some trial and error for me to align an ATI dampner to use the EDP drill guide without the original pin present. Also, I wouldnt use a slip fit stock balancer again on that snout if it was mine.

blown1967camaro

Mar 9, 2014
The tool we made to drill the pins worked, had to use a starter bit first then step up from there. Time to reassemble

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    174.4 KB · Views: 324

Oldur

Aug 26, 2010
Maine
That is an awesome idea and upgrade. I'm going through the same bullsh"t right now. Is that rig of yours reusable? Want to sell it or rent it?

Molska

unknowingly Knowing
May 31, 2020
British Columbia
Shoot!!! i'm struggling with this problem right now as well. Anyway I can get info on how to make my own? Unless you can rent this to me and ship this to Canada? I'm pretty limited on what I can do without sending this truck into the shop. Both my balancer and reluctor pins are ovaled so just doing the at home key kit by empire just wont cut it. Let me know if anyone has ideas without me taking out the crank to get keyed. I guess my other question is what old part is that? You said old gear machined? Did you cut the gear part off and left just with the ring? What size drill bit do you use for the pin hole?