Crank replacement?

JoshH

Daggum farm truck
Staff member
Vendor/Sponsor
Feb 14, 2007
Texas!!!
I usually rebuild them, but I have done just a replacement before with no problems. As long as the main cap isn't deformed and still fits tight in the block when the bolts are removed with no obvious signs of damage, you should be ok. We bought an LML a couple of months ago that had a slight knock in the bottom end; after doing some inspection and teardown on the motor, we found signs that it had broken a crank and had damaged the main cap causing excessive main clearance and the knock we were hearing.

Blackmax123

Aug 2, 2014
central Pennsylvania
Josh is right.

First broken crank I found it spun the mains and the block was questionable. I wanted to truck back running ASAP so I bought a used low mileage complete engine that was supposed to have been gone though and all checked out. Long story short I got a boat anchor with a bunch of scabbed on junk. Couldn’t return it for a refund so made a deal with the seller to keep it.

2400 miles later it lost oil pressure and started knocking. Pulled it apart and found spun main bearings. Ended in using that block and getting builder main caps and doing a full built engine.

From my experience, take your time and do it right or you’ll do it again.

2007 dmax

Mar 2, 2014
When mine broke the crank with 50k on the built motor we decided to try this exactly. So we pulled it out rolled it over and dropped a new lbz crank in. It never spun any bearings but we put new rods and mains in and it’s still running today with another 50 thousand miles since then. So yes it does work in the right situation.

10lmmdmaxxx

Mar 27, 2019
So I finally got around to pulling the engine and have it all tore down. Everything looks good inside for it having a broken crank. All bearing were still good mains were not blued nothing seem to have gotten hot. If I knew how to post pictures I would get y’all a opinion. I’m planning on putting new bearings in and got a used crank looks pretty good but my ocd has me second guessing.

Dozerboy

Jun 23, 2009
TX of course
I think it really comes down for your plans on the truck. If you want to keep it a long time or make a lot more power put some work into it. But if you only need a year or 2 out of it get a used crank.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Tapatalk