Cracks me up

relaxedhd

Nov 12, 2015
I got a guy at work that has a 2012 2500 hd. His dash started cracking over the gauge cluster & by the passanger air bag. He said he keeps a windsheild visor over it since he bought the truck. He posted it on face book & apparently others have had this problem. I havent luckily on mine or another guy with a 2013 also. Dealer wont cover it here in utah told him to take it back to texas where he bought it. Has anyone else experienced it or know anyone?

fast03

Jun 15, 2008
Rancho Cucamonga
My son's 08 has cracks same place. IIRC the dash is the same. It may or may not be covered. I had the issue on another vehicle and the dealer fixed it no question, but heard others say same as your buddy

ALLY Fox

Old Man Truck
Dec 14, 2010
Oregon 7S5
I guess they lost the recipe for non-cracking dashes. My 11 year old Sierra looks as good as the day it came out of the factory and I don't rally do much except wipe it off with a damp cloth couple of times a year....

ripmf666

Sep 20, 2006
Wentzville Mo
Our 09 Yukon is cracked on the top side above the gauge cluster. Started at the seam towards the windshield and working towards the steering wheel.

kiwilml

Nov 4, 2015
My 11 still looks brand new when you wipe the dust off.. And it's been outside unprotected 100% of its life..

Hot COCOAL

May the farce be with you
Jun 9, 2012
I think my neighbor is cracked out?
But maybe he thinks I am, cuz I'm up late too?

Back on track...
This dash crack thing seems to be a NBS(GMT900) issue?
I have personally owned 3 GMT 800's and never once had an interior issue
Plenty of others tho:D

02greysixer

Jun 4, 2011
North Central FL
Even after my 05 had a meltdown the dash wasn't cracked. I should have been a dick and said the dash on the lmm cracked after the guy ran into me. But I didn't think of it in time :D

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G870A using Tapatalk

OregonDMAX

NOT IN OREGON, NO DURAMAX
Apr 28, 2013
Goodyear, AZ
I think my neighbor is cracked out?
But maybe he thinks I am, cuz I'm up late too?

Back on track...
This dash crack thing seems to be a NBS(GMT900) issue?
I have personally owned 3 GMT 800's and never once had an interior issue
Plenty of others tho:D

It is, to me the lmm feels like the cheapest truck GM has made.

Hot COCOAL

May the farce be with you
Jun 9, 2012
Funny, cuz I've had that same thought numerous times...
Over time, they grew on me, but still my least favorite GM truck in several renditions of the Silverado/Sierra...

The brand new trucks...now the brand new, new trucks are somethin else, in a good way...
The new trucks are (as they should be) the best trucks I've ever seen and ridden in, they're better than a caddy was from early 2000...and I'm talking about a 3/4 ton HD pickup...

c20elephant

C20ELEPHANT
Apr 25, 2013
Phoenix, Arizona
I guess they lost the recipe for non-cracking dashes. My 11 year old Sierra looks as good as the day it came out of the factory and I don't rally do much except wipe it off with a damp cloth couple of times a year....

More than likely GM and the rest of them had to make changes due to the ever evolving EPA standards with VOC's and every other chemical that causes some sort of human ailment per C.A.R.B. standards, keep in mind the EPA will be adopting C.A.R.B. standards across the board in next 10 years. 2016 or 2017 will be the first years all vehicles manufactured in the US will be CARB compliant emissions wise...

Remember back in the 80's when all the clear coat was being damaged by the sun, snow/moisture frozen on the hood etc..? That was about the time that the VOC regulations were being ramped up and all major companies had to start experimenting with waterborne products to reduce and comply with VOC emissions standards, and guess what, the public paid a price. Some vehicles were recalled but not all, I had a 1990 GMC 1/2 that I forced the dealer to fix even after 6 years....

Last edited:

OregonDMAX

NOT IN OREGON, NO DURAMAX
Apr 28, 2013
Goodyear, AZ
More than likely GM and the rest of them had to make changes due to the ever evolving EPA standards with VOC's and every other chemical that causes some sort of human ailment per C.A.R.B. standards, keep in mind the EPA will be adopting C.A.R.B. standards across the board in next 10 years. 2016 or 2017 will be the first years all vehicles manufactured in the US will be CARB compliant emissions wise...

Remember back in the 80's when all the clear coat was being damaged by the sun, snow/moisture frozen on the hood etc..? That was about the time that the VOC regulations were being ramped up and all major companies had to start experimenting with waterborne products to reduce and comply with VOC emissions standards, and guess what, the public paid a price. Some vehicles were recalled but not all, I had a 1990 GMC 1/2 that I forced the dealer to fix even after 6 years....

More like GM was in trouble because of the crashed economy and the lmm trucks got cheap parts and they were throw together really fast. They got the worth dash rattles of any 2000-newer truck I've worked on

Dozerboy

Jun 23, 2009
TX of course
No rattles on any of my street GMs ever. We do have a a few ranch trucks trucks that do but they get the shit beat out of them.

NRA223

May 20, 2015
I had a 2011 1/2 ton for 3 years from the time it was new to 45,000 miles. I never had any interior problems but I did have all sorts of electrical trouble. Naturally the dealer tried to blame it all on me. At the same time my wife had a brand new 2011 Buick Regal Turbo. Talk about a POS. It had phantom electrical issues, went through a set of brakes and 2 struts in 17,000 miles. I thought both of us having brand new vehicles would be nice... I was wrong and don't know that i will buy a new GM vehicle again.