LLY: Couple suspension questions

BrandonLLY

Apr 23, 2014
Finally getting around to installing some aftermarket UCA to compliment my RCD 4-6” lift. Decided to get the box style cognitos. Much overdue for the control arms as the previous owner of my truck installed the lift years ago and im sure my upper ball joints are toasted.

So my first question is how do I know how much my truck is currently lifted?

I know there is a range between the 4-6” but is there a starting point measurement I can go off and get that answer somehow? From top of tire to fender I measure 12” on the button and Im sitting on 315/70/17’s.

The torsion bolts look like they are almost all the way in and my cv angles do have a slight downhill angle towards the tire. But I am not sure as to whether my keys are aftermarket or not. I might need to order some shorter blocks for the rear if I need to bring down the truck with torsion bolt adjusters. The truck is currently sitting dead level and not looking to stink bug.

Second question is what is the optimal measurement between the LCA and the bump stop on the crossmember. Obviously mine are blown out so I will be replacing those at the same time.

Im guessing all of my questions are pretty correlated but I’m a total rookie when it comes to front suspension. Looking for a better ride out of my truck hence finally getting to the UCA’s but want to make sure I do it the right way.
Lastly I’ll leave you with a few pictures of my cv angles, bump stop gaps to the LCA and torsion bolts. The last picture is a little tough to see but there are only a few threads showing towards the heads of the bolts.

Thanks in advance.

542db273034305452982a5f9fdc0b4c7.jpg
ca1be56d57da492d0152888b036b0f41.jpg
2adcaa63ba1d30724d0fd2ecc3b4f102.jpg

BrandonLLY

Apr 23, 2014
Never mind on the bump stop question. Im understanding that is not a traditional bump stop in used to but a jounce stop that maintains contact with the LCA. But for that to happen, I think I need to crank the bars way down. Hopefully I can still clear my tires.

Awenta

Sep 28, 2014
CT
Take a picture from the front. Measure the bolts on the lift up front. From bolt to bolt where the lca is and was bolted to before the lift.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

TheBac

Why do I keep doing this?
Staff member
Apr 19, 2008
Mid Michigan
Those jounce bumpers are a functional part of the suspension. Might want to replace them.

BrandonLLY

Apr 23, 2014
Those jounce bumpers are a functional part of the suspension. Might want to replace them.

I have those on order, as well as 2” blocks for rear to replace 4”. To compensate for the drop in the front I hope to get out of the torsion adjustment. Will post back Sunday if I get it done this weekend. Hopefully with much better angles and some new parts.

ChrisPerry

Apr 4, 2016
Ventura, CA
I've got those same lift on my truck. I set the front up so the bumps just touch the lca. Rides great. No help on cv angle as mines 2wd. If you need pics or measurements just let me know.

BrandonLLY

Apr 23, 2014
I've got those same lift on my truck. I set the front up so the bumps just touch the lca. Rides great. No help on cv angle as mines 2wd. If you need pics or measurements just let me know.

Appreciate the info, I’ll need to crank down the front. What size tires are you running? One thing I did that really helped the front end was putting new kryponite sway bar end links and new bushings in. It really helps the roll when you’re making a long turn at high speed.

BrandonLLY

Apr 23, 2014
Never mind on the tire size I’m happy to see you’re able to clear 35’s. Im on a 34.5” tire. Thanks again. Im gonna try to knock all of it out including alignment on Sunday. It should be no more than a 3 or 4 beer job.