Allison 5sp: Cost to rebuild?

MQUnlimited

Nov 16, 2016
I'm sure it's been asked a million times, I'd call around but currently can't. Before I left on my current trip, I bought a new PPE programmer after running a crappy Predator tuner for years and drove around in 4th setting (has 7). I bumped it up to the 5th setting, got right foot happy and it limped.... Pulled over, shut it off, and ran fine again but I know its time. I have 180k miles on a '03, no mods other than a programmer, intake and full exhaust.

Feeling I need to use this situation to my advantage, I'm shopping around for an HTT single turbo kit as well. I was originally going to take my truck to a local shop near where I live in SoCal but feel I should just drive the extra distance to Inglewood trans. What price am I going to look at to have it rebuilt to handle 450-500hp and I tow a 18K toy hauler or would it be better to just buy an already built built trans from BD or similar?

ChrisPerry

Apr 4, 2016
Ventura, CA
Sounds familiar. Ran a PPE level 5 for 2 years put in a new cp3 trans limped a week later.limped 3 more times in 3 months.
5k spent with Mike L later, I run level 6 unless towing (4 while towing) trans never misses a beat.Full throttle shifts while towing = all good. Best 5k you'll spend.:thumb:

1 note, your tires will hate you and Mike

Jan 28, 2015
Ohio
I had 4900 in mine when I had it built for my lmm. The 5 speed in my lly I had Manfred do was 3950. I pulled and installed both. So that was no labor fluids or filters.

clrussell

pro-procrastinator
Sep 23, 2013
Do not buy an off the shelf transmission from bd or "similar" drive to see mike and you'll be way better off

Josh154

Sep 28, 2015
Sioux Falls SD
I was right at 4900 for my lmm also. Best bet is to call Evan at limitless and see what he wants shipped for a 5 speed.

Chevy1925

don't know sh!t about IFS
Staff member
Oct 21, 2009
Phoenix Az
I'm sure it's been asked a million times, I'd call around but currently can't. Before I left on my current trip, I bought a new PPE programmer after running a crappy Predator tuner for years and drove around in 4th setting (has 7). I bumped it up to the 5th setting, got right foot happy and it limped.... Pulled over, shut it off, and ran fine again but I know its time. I have 180k miles on a '03, no mods other than a programmer, intake and full exhaust.

Feeling I need to use this situation to my advantage, I'm shopping around for an HTT single turbo kit as well. I was originally going to take my truck to a local shop near where I live in SoCal but feel I should just drive the extra distance to Inglewood trans. What price am I going to look at to have it rebuilt to handle 450-500hp and I tow a 18K toy hauler or would it be better to just buy an already built built trans from BD or similar?

you will need to call Mike and talk with him. cost can vary depending on converter choice and how worn internal parts are.

btw MQ, are you the same one thats on GlamisDunes with the bad ass baja bug?

I was right at 4900 for my lmm also. Best bet is to call Evan at limitless and see what he wants shipped for a 5 speed.

I have absolutely nothing against evan and even suggest him for east coast work but when the guy lives in Mikes back yard, there is no sense paying shipping charges for a trans when he can just make a day trip to mike.

MQUnlimited

Nov 16, 2016
you will need to call Mike and talk with him. cost can vary depending on converter choice and how worn internal parts are.

btw MQ, are you the same one thats on GlamisDunes with the bad ass baja bug?

I have absolutely nothing against evan and even suggest him for east coast work but when the guy lives in Mikes back yard, there is no sense paying shipping charges for a trans when he can just make a day trip to mike.
Sup bro, I am the same dude.Thanks man but sold it last month, building a new body Beetle baja bug now. Keeping it on the DL for now.

I'll give him a call when I get the chance, just trying to get an average of what Im going to spend. This is going to cut into my baja build funds!

Chevy1925

don't know sh!t about IFS
Staff member
Oct 21, 2009
Phoenix Az
Sup bro, I am the same dude.Thanks man but sold it last month, building a new body Beetle baja bug now. Keeping it on the DL for now.

I'll give him a call when I get the chance, just trying to get an average of what Im going to spend. This is going to cut into my baja build funds!

Nice! always digged your build and "other" pics ;) :D.

i would expect to pay around what is being said. Mike is a great guy and will have you in and out within the day 95% of the time. I make that 6 hour drive from phx to there for good reason :D

MQUnlimited

Nov 16, 2016

i would expect to pay around what is being said. Mike is a great guy and will have you in and out within the day 95% of the time. I make that 6 hour drive from phx to there for good reason :D
LOL my profile pic is the "other". Thanks man, same here but with your truck. truck is BA, I want to do Fiberwex fenders like yours with some bulge. desert thing I guess. Now if I could get the wife to drive my truck to Inglewood but I'll have to wait a little. :roflmao:

Burn Down

Hotrodder
Sep 14, 2008
Boise Idaho

LOL my profile pic is the "other". Thanks man, same here but with your truck. truck is BA, I want to do Fiberwex fenders like yours with some bulge. desert thing I guess. Now if I could get the wife to drive my truck to Inglewood but I'll have to wait a little. :roflmao:

Okay F-ers now you got post these "other" pics, the people wanna know:D

wyopoke

wyopoke
Dec 3, 2015
wyoming high country
Mike L is where ya need to go, no brainer when you live in CA. Spent a little less than $6K with billet input & output shafts, larger clutch basket, complete rebuild, Mikes trans cooler, shipping the whole deal. Mike is one of a kind great guy with so much knowledge.

ALLY Fox

Old Man Truck
Dec 14, 2010
Oregon 7S5
Call Mike. Good time to get the pump rub fixed and upgrade the downpipe while the trans is out if you haven't already done those. And go to Disneyland....