Cooling system question

Bagged93gmc

Nov 30, 2010
I am having a problem with my 01 duramax, i bought it and guy said coolant surge tank was cracked, so i replaced it and then still was having a problem with it losing coolant, it was building pressure and blowing it out of the overflow tube on the surge tank, so i capped it off and found my radiator had a crack in it, fixed it and then was driving it home last night and it blew coolant out the tube again, well this morning it kept saying low coolant, but did not blow coolant out the overflow tube, well i went to lunch and it never said low coolant til i pulled back into the shop parking lot, i filled the surge tank again, but it did not bubble and act like there was a air bubble in the system like usual, and i know chevy's are bad about creating air bubbles in the system if you take the hose's off. I have also been told that the head gaskets are bad and that is what is making it do this. Just seeing if anyone has had this problem or come across it before.

Vrabel

TOYAHOLIC
May 22, 2008
Hewitt, NJ
Is all the air bleed out? After engine cooled, is upper hose still firm? If so, doesn't look good for H/G's

RKTMech

Idiot with a wrench
Aug 18, 2008
The Norco's
Sounds HG's all the way! The bleed screw is on top of the T-stat housing, if you purged the air out this hole while filling the system you were 98% blead, after a little test drive and a top off the cooling system should be purged...... good luck