Allison 5sp: Cooler debris

PureHybrid

Isuzu Shakes IT
Feb 15, 2012
Central OH
There are a couple pictures attached.

Trans started running hotter than usual (210ish even when cooler outside), so Friday night I drove the truck around to get temp in the trans/engine and backflushed the cooler lines with compressed air. Only got about a qt into my catch bottle, had a little metallic shimmer look but no chunks, but did have some balled up clutch material. Looks to be brown, none of the clutches in the trans have that color. The red rag in the pics is what I filtered the ATF through, and after I picked out the clutch material.

I guess I'm just looking for confirmation that my converter is taking a poo. It still locks fine but can be lazy at light throttle. No codes, doesn't shutter or anything at WOT during a launch. Only changes to the tcm tune are the slip limit tables, and T/H is setup for 2nd gear starts (btw a 25psi launch in 2nd gear will tear a non bolted engine mount :roflmao: )

Thanks for looking.

Attachments

• IMG_20170324_205649960.jpg
    IMG_20170324_205649960.jpg
    95.8 KB · Views: 78
  • IMG_20170324_210036110.jpg
    IMG_20170324_210036110.jpg
    123.9 KB · Views: 75

PureHybrid

Isuzu Shakes IT
Feb 15, 2012
Central OH
This 1056 has been in there since late 2011, that's why I never thought it was anything left over from the stock one. It never gave me any problems either.

skintback

Take this one to church
Mar 5, 2007
Florida
Just for piece of mind I would pull the lower metal line out of the radiator/heat exchanger and look inside it real good with a light

Mike L.

Got Sheep?
Staff member
Vendor/Sponsor
Aug 12, 2006
Fullerton CA
You would be suprised at how much stuff never comes out. It can stay in there for years.

Mike L.

Got Sheep?
Staff member
Vendor/Sponsor
Aug 12, 2006
Fullerton CA
I'd be surprised if anything gets left behind with that trans cooler flush machine you have.

Stacked plate coolers like we have are made to contract when cold to help the alli warm up faster. Using cold flush solvents and air do not get the stuff out.
Hot flush machines duplicate street driving under normal atf temps and do a very good job getting the crap out. The machine that I use along with Evan and Josh are the best. Cost is about 6K. It works.:thumb::D

PureHybrid

Isuzu Shakes IT
Feb 15, 2012
Central OH
Update on this.

Couldn't find anyone to hot flush it for a decent price, so I bought a new radiator. Probably good thing I did, had old clutch material crammed in there! I took a picture but it won't let me attach a file from my phone??? I've done it before so who knows...

And another good thing I pulled the rad, had all kinds of dirt packed in it, kind of surprised this truck never ran hot! And gave me a chance to wash out the intercooler too. Haven't drove the truck yet because I broke a clamp on the intercooler, I'll report back again. Also dropped the pan to check things out, spotless. Doesn't surprise me, just had it apart 2k miles ago for the 4x4 swap.

Thanks for looking.