LB7: Coolant leak....

whitetrash21

put on da damn helmet day
Apr 29, 2008
Vegas
This the line/hardpoint you talking about?? Looked ok to me. Charge tube under was clean, no dex on it. Line didn't feel cracked.....:confused:

Last edited:

sweetdiesel

That's better
Aug 6, 2006
Thailand
Somewhere on this site is a post and link for the coolant tester

Try and google a Dmac coolant tank pressure tester I think max is 13-15 psi
it just screws onto the cap for the overflow tank

you let it sit for a while and see if you can find a leak,the stock system should not exceed this as are stock cap blows off at like 13 psi IIRC

whitetrash21

Apr 29, 2008
Vegas
~420 miles on the bottle now and still nothing ... I think it's safe to assume that its not pushing out the overflow tube. Fresh spray on the firewall and filter housing though. Still no clue where it's coming from.

sweetdiesel

That's better
Aug 6, 2006
Thailand
~420 miles on the bottle now and still nothing ... I think it's safe to assume that its not pushing out the overflow tube. Fresh spray on the firewall and filter housing though. Still no clue where it's coming from.

Wish I could of made it 4.2 miles and my bottle was over flowing:(

I think your safe to say that:)

I seen you found a tool....its handy and I hope you find the leak with it

Jared Duramax

<---- $$$ Whore!!
Feb 13, 2008
Matthews NC
SER3700 this will pressure test the cap and the tank (when you buy the adapter)

BK 7003025 this will also work as the pump for the tank but not the cap you can rent these from autozone or advanced i cant remember which one (still need the adapter)

BK 7003034 here is the adapter you need

These are all napa part numbers

sweetdiesel

That's better
Aug 6, 2006
Thailand

BK 7003025 this will also work as the pump for the tank but not the cap you can rent these from autozone or advanced i cant remember which one (still need the adapter)

:rockon: Jared......good info!

Jared Duramax

<---- $$$ Whore!!
Feb 13, 2008
Matthews NC
i went through all of this i bought 3 diffrent pressure testers to come up with what works but in the end it all got returned :D i will some day buy the correct tools

whitetrash21

Apr 29, 2008
Vegas

Thanks a bunch for posting those. I'm going there tomorrow to pick up oil/filters... gonna see if I can pick one of these up.

One question: Will I be safe in purchasing the two BK parts only?? Seems to me if the cap was bad, it'd have coolant sprayed on the top of the tank or in the bottle (which it isnt) .....

Thanks again Jared and Simon. Really appreciate you helping me out....:hug::)

Jared Duramax

<---- $$$ Whore!!
Feb 13, 2008
Matthews NC
i would probably say that the cap is fine but it probably wouldnt hurt to test it while you are at it. just remember that the cap blows off at 15 lbs and has a working pressure of 13 lbs

clayt171

He's watching you
Aug 21, 2008
I O Way
Another way to try to pinpoint the leak is to use rags. Wire tie them in different areas to see where the spray is comming from. Be careful that they stay away from parts that get really hot or that move. Just attach them in various places and the one that is the wettest is the closest and what ever side has the most dex on it should point at the leaking area.

whitetrash21

Apr 29, 2008
Vegas
~550 miles, removed bottle and found leak. Stopped at Alligator today and we snooped for a bit. Turned out to be a hose located directly under the charge line coming from the turbo. I think it was part of the EGR cooler, not to sure about that though. Had a small crack in it, probably only opening when the EGR became active which would explain it not being found while idling.

Checked out those parts while at NAPA today. The Pump was ~$110 and the adapter was ~$70. Thanks for posting those.

Thanks to Chad also, for taking the time to help me. Appreciate it, bud. :hug::)

Last edited:

Jared Duramax

<---- $$$ Whore!!
Feb 13, 2008
Matthews NC
i am glad to see that you figured it out. i know from experience that cooling issues suck but when they are fixed you feel so much better

whitetrash21

Apr 29, 2008
Vegas
Oh yeah :D

Now, how to get the jellified 5 gallons of coolant off the exh manifolds, down pipe, frame, trans pan, oil pan, heads, filter housing, etc, etc...... That stuff makes a mess and its nasty once its superheated.....