Coolant Leak (2013 Duramax)

The Engineer

Sep 24, 2014
Moore, Oklahoma
I have a 2013 2500 HD LT, Z71 4X4 with about 19K miles on it. It has developed a small coolant leak on the driver's side that pools on the skid plate then runs off.

The local dealership appears to be completely dis-functional finding and fixing the leak. They've already had it in/out of the shop for three weeks now (week four starting today) and it appears to just be setting there. I'm thinking a different dealership if they don't come up with something soon!

Any ideas, or suggestions about the leak?

WD

MACKIN

Smell My Finger...
Aug 14, 2006
Connecticut
Your dealer should be your best source of repair since it is under warranty. If you would post your location maybe someone here knows a dealer that is better suited for duramax repair in your area if you aren't happy.

The dealer needs to put a dye in your coolant then under a black light should find the source of the leak.

Good Luck

Hot COCOAL

May the farce be with you
Jun 9, 2012
I can think of a couple spots to check...
1) The coolant bridge connection on the drivers side head
2) the hose connection on the water pump
3) the water pump seep/weep hole
4) the gasket on hard pipe that connects to the pump
5) the coolant drain plug in the block

The Engineer

Sep 24, 2014
Moore, Oklahoma
I can think of a couple spots to check...
1) The coolant bridge connection on the drivers side head
2) the hose connection on the water pump
3) the water pump seep/weep hole
4) the gasket on hard pipe that connects to the pump
5) the coolant drain plug in the block

Thanks for the info!

WD

Last edited:

The Engineer

Sep 24, 2014
Moore, Oklahoma
I see you're from Moore...what dealership are you taking it to?

I don't want to name the local dealership just yet, however, their service department has really "strung me out on this minor problem!" I'm thankful it wasn't something really major with my Duramax, I really like my truck!

It appears to me, my pickup is just setting there in the shop for the most part and they don't have anyone working on it constantly to find and fix the problem. This also makes me worry about the "quality of work" in their service department.

Also, this is the dealership I bought the truck. So, if it doesn't get fixed correctly under warranty there, I'll be taking it to another dealership.

WD

The Engineer

Sep 24, 2014
Moore, Oklahoma
x3 Was the cause of all coolant leaks for LML's coming into the dealership. The fan likes to spray it all around the engine compartment and make it very hard to find.

Thanks for the info! I'm going to talk with the service department today about what you've told me. I believe they're completely lost finding this problem. It's kind of like going to your doctor and you basically have to tell the doctor what you have, so he can then cure you! :D

WD

Last edited:

trashygasman

Slowly but Surely
Dec 18, 2008
Washington, OK
I don't want to name the local dealership just yet, however, their service department has really "strung me out on this minor problem!" I'm thankful it wasn't something really major with my Duramax, I really like my truck!

It appears to me, my pickup is just setting there in the shop for the most part and they don't have anyone working on it constantly to find and fix the problem. This also makes me worry about the "quality of work" in their service department.

Also, this is the dealership I bought the truck. So, if it doesn't get fixed correctly under warranty there, I'll be taking it to another dealership.

WD
Since you don't want to name it, Is it north or south of you? That might help me in pointing you in a better direction.

Big Block 88

Multiple choice muscle
Nov 3, 2008
Kansas when I am home
Does the dealer even have a diesel mech? I would ask that and ask for proof.

Our dealer in our lb7 screwed us for years, 5 years later we found out they never had an ase diesel mech

The Engineer

Sep 24, 2014
Moore, Oklahoma
After almost four weeks in the service department, they're telling me now it is conclusively the water pump that was leaking! And they should be finished replacing it today and I will get my truck back before the weekend. :thumb:

Hot COCOAL

May the farce be with you
Jun 9, 2012
After almost four weeks in the service department, they're telling me now it is conclusively the water pump that was leaking! And they should be finished replacing it today and I will get my truck back before the weekend. :thumb:

If it were me I'd call them up before they're finished and tell them you want the old part and I'd want to see if they can pin point the failure (shaft seal, o-ring etc)...after reading about the fan shroud issues with these LML's your water pump failure would seem like an anomaly...I guess if the leak is fixed, the leak is fixed so it doesn't really matter at this point...buuutttt

I'd want to "know" fer sure that they're not just trying to upscale the work charges if for nothing else to save face, to make the 4wk wait seem more "legitimate"

I mean, as a customer I would be like WTF is wrong with you guys if they came back 4wks later and told me the fan shroud rubbed a hole in the rad hose...

Glad to hear you're finally gonna get your rig back tho...
:)

The Engineer

Sep 24, 2014
Moore, Oklahoma
If it were me I'd call them up before they're finished and tell them you want the old part and I'd want to see if they can pin point the failure (shaft seal, o-ring etc)...after reading about the fan shroud issues with these LML's your water pump failure would seem like an anomaly...I guess if the leak is fixed, the leak is fixed so it doesn't really matter at this point...buuutttt

I'd want to "know" fer sure that they're not just trying to upscale the work charges if for nothing else to save face, to make the 4wk wait seem more "legitimate"

I mean, as a customer I would be like WTF is wrong with you guys if they came back 4wks later and told me the fan shroud rubbed a hole in the rad hose...

Glad to hear you're finally gonna get your rig back tho...
:)

The good part (if there is anything good about this story), the pickup is under factory warranty. And warranty work is billed back to GM, so GM probably only allows some fixed-rate reimbursement for a water pump replacement (i.e., 6.5 hours, or something like that). That means the dealership service department will have to eat all the time they wasted fumbling around with this problem.

And, I'll be watching closely to see if the leak is still there. Additionally, I've learned we have a GM Fleet Service Center here in the OKC area that is oriented towards GM commercial vehicle service. So that is the place I'll be taking my Duramax to in the future for warranty work, no matter how minor the problem!

WD