coolant in the oil....

danzick

playing with fire
Feb 20, 2014
Livingston, MT
one more thing before I tear it all apart. Should I be worried about my internal parts covered in coolant? should I put it all back together with oil and no coolant and run it for a little while to get it out?

darkness

Jul 15, 2009
vegas
What are the chances the o-rings got rolled or cut or flat ass missed on an injector cup?

danzick

playing with fire
Feb 20, 2014
Livingston, MT
seems pretty slim since the machine shop said he pressure tests the heads before they leave his place. plus, I looked at my old head, the tolerances are very close, and I think youd see an oring sticking out the top.

danzick

playing with fire
Feb 20, 2014
Livingston, MT
here it is running with no coolant. I decided to put new oil in and run it through to displace some of the coolant. seems to run smoothly. no white smoke that I have noticed. It has not ran since yesterday. I plan to do a comp. check on the passenger side since im pretty sure thats where my problem is.

Chevy1925

don't know sh!t about IFS
Staff member
Oct 21, 2009
Phoenix Az
Blocks gotta be cracked…. There is no freeze plug or way that coolant can get in there by the oil squirter that I can think of.

Can you get the camera closer to the area to see for sure? What happen to the original engine again?

danzick

playing with fire
Feb 20, 2014
Livingston, MT
I overreved it and floated the valves and pretty much destroyed it. I just did a compression check. all 4 passenger cylinders were right at 300 psi. Which is higher than I expected since There is literally no miles on this engine. where do you think the block would be cracked? its obviously a really big crack. when I put pressure to the system, it would pour out at a steady drizzle. my machine shop told me he pressure tests the blocks. so I would find it odd he didnt find that crack? its not like ive even had the engine to 100 degrees yet.

danzick

playing with fire
Feb 20, 2014
Livingston, MT
I'm going to start pulling the motor tomorrow. After talking to my local machine shop he only pressure tests for external leaks. He can't think of any other reason coolant would be filling the galleys like that. My worst nightmare has just come true.

Chevy1925

Staff member
Oct 21, 2009
Phoenix Az
Sadly, shit happens.

The old limo got a whole new engine when the block blew out at the head stud as we were putting new heads on it. I feel your pain…

Then as I put the new engine in, I had to pull it back out after bolting it all down due to a cross threaded converter bolt (my fault) and stripped bell housing bolts (over worked from all the years of trans coming out for upgrades or engine coming out for upgrades). I was thoroughly irritated and done with it after it finally went back in.

danzick

playing with fire
Feb 20, 2014
Livingston, MT
Yeah... My problem is I'm doing all this with the intent on keeping it for many years. I figured 15k for a new built engine for my paid for 88k Mile truck was better than spending 50k for someones seconds with 150k.

danzick

playing with fire
Feb 20, 2014
Livingston, MT
yeah thats way more than im willing to do at this point. the machine shop guy is going to help me out on the block, so its a matter of just gaskets and my time at this point.

Reactions: DAVe3283

Chevy1925

Staff member
Oct 21, 2009
Phoenix Az
well i'm a real dumbass. Found the problem. I put the passenger side head gasket in upside down.

still!!!! What an easy fix!

Double check the rockers and pushrods. Iirc the oil can’t get to them if it’s upside down… or that’s a different engine I’m thinking of