LB7: Coolant hose hard but then went away?...

DIESELMAFIAPER.LB7

<----new hotness
Jan 17, 2010
idaho
shop.dieselmafiaperformance.com
i was messing with my new hids and i always check my coolant hose been pushing a little over 500hp for over a year figure im on borrowed time an the coolant hose was hard as a rock truck was running so i shut it off nothing changed took the cap offand it overflowed the tankblew the cap off lost probably a gallon i would say in coolant.:eek:

so i cleaned it up and took it for a drive and all seems normal i had rodded the living hell outta of it the night before i checked it. So my ? is could i have a gasket starting to go or a cup letting compression blow by? or some weird fluke havent driven it today but the hose feels normal?

Anyone have any ideas on what my problem could be if any:confused:

Mike_S

OOPS!
Nov 18, 2009
Idaho
Its the beginnings man. They start small...and get proressively worse. Goto a reputable shop and ask for a hydrocarbon coolant test. Tell them you think you have bad head gaskets and they should know what you are talking about. If there are hydrocarbons in your coolant...then we get to do 2 engine builds! :thumb: :rofl:

Krazykid

<-Daily Thought Process
Nov 22, 2008
Upstate, SC
I am having the same issues out of my 04.5 LLY. I will keep a watch on this tread to see what you guys come up with........I'm guessing I'm in denial for the $$$$$ I will have to spend in the near future. I do have a question though. If you replace the HG's and install ARP stud kit is it required to machine the heads? I have never toren an engine apart before, but am willing to give it a go with the support of the folks here; i getting the feeling I can tackle just about any project on my truck. And I am willing to "try" any project on anyones else's truck too with thier money of course! LOL Thanks for the info. guys. ;)

Mike_S

OOPS!
Nov 18, 2009
Idaho
I am having the same issues out of my 04.5 LLY. I will keep a watch on this tread to see what you guys come up with........I'm guessing I'm in denial for the $$$$$ I will have to spend in the near future. I do have a question though. If you replace the HG's and install ARP stud kit is it required to machine the heads? I have never toren an engine apart before, but am willing to give it a go with the support of the folks here; i getting the feeling I can tackle just about any project on my truck. And I am willing to "try" any project on anyones else's truck too with thier money of course! LOL Thanks for the info. guys. ;)

No machining is required for head studs unless you are installing 14mm studs...which is not required unless you are making big power. The heads themselves May need to be resurfaced, like jake said if it has been running like this for a while. You are one step ahead of us, as you don't have injector cups to worry about.

Krazykid

<-Daily Thought Process
Nov 22, 2008
Upstate, SC
No machining is required for head studs unless you are installing 14mm studs...which is not required unless you are making big power. The heads themselves May need to be resurfaced, like jake said if it has been running like this for a while. You are one step ahead of us, as you don't have injector cups to worry about.

Here's where I'm getting a little lost. As the only ting that I have noticed is the upper Rad. hose getting hard, I se NO oil in the coolant and don't see any coolant in the oil. I haven't noticed or gotten messages of the engine eating coolant, so what's the deal? What do I need to be checking? The truck isn't used for daily driving and only gets used on the weekends every now and then as of right now.

So after all this, give me the low down. How difficult is it to replace head gaskets and studs? Given a driveway mechanic an assortment of slightly above average hand tools?

KEVINL

Jul 4, 2008
Phoenix, AZ
So after all this, give me the low down. How difficult is it to replace head gaskets and studs? Given a driveway mechanic an assortment of slightly above average hand tools?

I didn't think it was very hard just time consuming

The hardest part for me was the driver side valve cover no room to get a tool in for the back bolt

Last edited:

Krazykid

<-Daily Thought Process
Nov 22, 2008
Upstate, SC
I didn't think it was very hard just time consuming

The hardest part for me was the driver side valve cover no room to get a tool in for the back bolt

Thanks for the info.....I am hoping to get a topside creeper soon to assist with this project. Will I need and engine hoist? I have read that this is possible to do while the engine is still in the truck, true?

Mike_S

OOPS!
Nov 18, 2009
Idaho
Thanks for the info.....I am hoping to get a topside creeper soon to assist with this project. Will I need and engine hoist? I have read that this is possible to do while the engine is still in the truck, true?

possible, yes. Just more time consuming, and you will need to take your time keeping everything clean as you can. You will have to install some of the studs with the head on the block as there isn't enough room to slide the head over the stud. Overall its not too tough, just alot of junk to move out of the way to get to where you can actually do something. Far as oil and coolant swapin places, the gaskets tend to rupture between the cooling passaes and the cylinder. So what you end up with is combustion pressure leaking into the cooling system, This is why a hydrocarbon test will alert you to this problem.

Krazykid

<-Daily Thought Process
Nov 22, 2008
Upstate, SC
possible, yes. Just more time consuming, and you will need to take your time keeping everything clean as you can. You will have to install some of the studs with the head on the block as there isn't enough room to slide the head over the stud. Overall its not too tough, just alot of junk to move out of the way to get to where you can actually do something. Far as oil and coolant swapin places, the gaskets tend to rupture between the cooling passaes and the cylinder. So what you end up with is combustion pressure leaking into the cooling system, This is why a hydrocarbon test will alert you to this problem.

Thank you for this explaination.....I will try to locate a shop local to me for this test to be done.....but I think the I already know the answer.

Krazykid

<-Daily Thought Process
Nov 22, 2008
Upstate, SC
Tell ya what, You come to N.Y. and help me change mine and I will help you change your's;) :D

Sounds like a plan......aparently I will not be driving that distance! ;)

No wait it's cold up there, I have 70* here this week. "Come on Down your the next contestant on the you f'd up your truck!" :eek:

Thanks for all the support and information.

custom8726

Feb 25, 2008
Upstate N.Y
Sounds like a plan......aparently I will not be driving that distance! ;)

No wait it's cold up there, I have 70* here this week. "Come on Down your the next contestant on the you f'd up your truck!" :eek:

Thanks for all the support and information.

well on your way up stop by maryland and we can do all three:rofl::rofl::rofl:

Lol, must be something in the air as of Late:(:):D