Converter number 4 down the drain

Mike

hmmm....
Feb 17, 2007
San Angelo, TX
I do have some good news, the transmission is working fantastically well. On the other hand, the converter is gone.... I sure hope the ATS 5 Star converter had a defect, if not, I think I better do some de-tuning or learn to be easy on the Allison components. Can't wait to give it another whirl when I get my next victim... :D

Larry, I'm really sorry and I owe you a big thanks. You listened to me during my ranting, raving, griping, moaning, groaning, bi**hing and crying. You didn't even get to drive or ride in it. Next time, when I start it for the first time you will be there, like it or not. :hug:

By the way, I'm thrilled as HELL.... :cool2:

Mike

hmmm....
Feb 17, 2007
San Angelo, TX
great news you are back on the raod!

Sorry to hear of the converter loss:mad:

I'm not sorry by any means, I really think the converter had problems and trashing it was not completely do to power or "driver".. Oh ya, at least this converters noise goes away when the converter locks. :cool2:

Really, the transmission works better than it ever has and I'm thrilled with the results of the tuning and co-pilot addition.... No hard feelings or regrets. Just gotta get on the phone tomorrow and get another "Victim". lol :cool2:

Bluemax

???????????
Sep 25, 2006
Missouri
The one I heard made a couple of big bangs when it shifted up and when we stopped it just wouldn't hold tight anymore, kinda like a stall converter with a 6500 stall speed.:D

Mike

hmmm....
Feb 17, 2007
San Angelo, TX
So what physically happens when a converter goes? Does it go Bang, or Crunch, or just sits there going nowhere? Any indications before it goes? Slipping, Noises etc?

This last converter worked good, go figure, then began to increase stall speed as the other converters did. The converter began to make noise and finally when placing the truck in drive or reverse the converter would act as if it had 0 stall. I could floor the truck while holding the brake and get it to stall to 1000 rpm. As I would hold the brake in gear idling, I would be pushed through the brakes. No bang or crunch, but I really didn't want to do more damage for just one more run you know. I will say the converter did squeal or sing if that makes since. But hey, the lock up still worked. I was able to drive the 20 miles home from town. I called Wade at ATS before I drove it home and they eliminated the co-pilot as a possible cause ( keeping the converter locked ).

LBZ

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jul 2, 2007
B.C.
Well, if they are bad to begin with then I guess that statement is correct!

Did you find the source of your codes and limping nonsense before everything went to hell Mike?

Mike

hmmm....
Feb 17, 2007
San Angelo, TX
Well, if they are bad to begin with then I guess that statement is correct!

Did you find the source of your codes and limping nonsense before everything went to hell Mike?

Ya I sure did dale. I don't know, but I'm thinking the sticking "e" valve could be related to the stator coming apart in the converter. I did mention to George the fluid looked a bit metallic. But really, in 9 or 10 quarts it could have been a toss up. Now I know.

LBZ

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jul 2, 2007
B.C.
Well, if they don't warranty it Mike, I have a purple one I'll sell you for a good price if you can wait until May!!

Mike

hmmm....
Feb 17, 2007
San Angelo, TX
Well, if they don't warranty it Mike, I have a purple one I'll sell you for a good price if you can wait until May!!

Thanks for the offer Dale. I know I couldn't wait till May.... Wow that's a long time. Heck I may forget what power is like if I have to drive my wife's Envoy till then. :D :rofl: I have every bit of confidence in the folks at ATS, I believe I will be back in my truck quite quickly. I was reassured I would be taken care of regarding the warranty.

Big thanks to ya Dale!

LarryJewell

Back with his honey :)
Jan 21, 2007
San Angelo
Thanks for the offer Dale. I know I couldn't wait till May.... Wow that's a long time. Heck I may forget what power is like if I have to drive my wife's Envoy till then. :D :rofl: I have every bit of confidence in the folks at ATS, I believe I will be back in my truck quite quickly. I was reassured I would be taken care of regarding the warranty.

Big thanks to ya Dale!

You sure look cute driving the Envoy though ;)