Controller for Dual Pumps

Fingers

Village Idiot
Vendor/Sponsor
Apr 1, 2008
White Oak, PA
So, you want to build your own dual CP3 controller?

Well, the one for my kit was DOA. There is another on the way, but since I was just sitting around waiting for the replacement, I started a science project.

attachment.php

attachment.php

Works well and has the truck back on the road. Now I am starting to think a nice embedded MCU could clean up the pump response a little....

Last edited:

Fingers

Village Idiot
Vendor/Sponsor
Apr 1, 2008
White Oak, PA
Never seen the TS controller. But really, it isn't a big deal to make one of these. Even a micro one.

The question is, what would you do differently if you could? Make it cheaper? Yea, I've seen the price tag some are charging for theirs. Cheaper would be nicer.

My thoughts however, are to roll in the Engine RPMs into the control some how. I am also thinking maybe a couple switched outputs. Kick on one or more booster pumps when the pumps start to fall behind?

Lastly, I would like something that can be reprogrammed by the end user.

I wonder if anyone else has some thoughts other than its already been done.

MMLMM

Tunergeek
Mar 2, 2008
Reno, NV
www.dyncal.com
Never seen the TS controller. But really, it isn't a big deal to make one of these. Even a micro one.

The question is, what would you do differently if you could? Make it cheaper? Yea, I've seen the price tag some are charging for theirs. Cheaper would be nicer.

My thoughts however, are to roll in the Engine RPMs into the control some how. I am also thinking maybe a couple switched outputs. Kick on one or more booster pumps when the pumps start to fall behind?

Lastly, I would like something that can be reprogrammed by the end user.

I wonder if anyone else has some thoughts other than its already been done.

I have some thoughts......roll everything that I just quoted you on into a 1.5x1.5x.75 module with a usb port, pc software for programming and sell it for 200 bucks......We are all in :D

Nice Job, did you reverse engineer your broken one, or come up with it? Not knocking anything you did Just curious is all.

Mike_S

OOPS!
Nov 18, 2009
Idaho
I have some thoughts......roll everything that I just quoted you on into a 1.5x1.5x.75 module with a usb port, pc software for programming and sell it for 200 bucks......We are all in :D

Nice Job, did you reverse engineer your broken one, or come up with it? Not knocking anything you did Just curious is all.

Effin A cotton! I'd be second on that list!

Fingers

Village Idiot
Vendor/Sponsor
Apr 1, 2008
White Oak, PA

Couldn't reverse the one I got. It was DOA. But I already knew how they worked. What I cobbled together was something I had played with a while back.

MMLMM

Tunergeek
Mar 2, 2008
Reno, NV
www.dyncal.com
Couldn't reverse the one I got. It was DOA. But I already knew how they worked. What I cobbled together was something I had played with a while back.

smart man. good job. I really like the idea of something programmable. Although most would say pulley speed from rpm is good enough for them. Or are you saying programmable to turn on lift pumps or something? Or programmable to shut one cp3 down when the second pump is really not needed??

DAVe3283

Heavy & Slow
Sep 3, 2009
Boise, ID, USA
I've always wondered if it would work better to have the 2nd CP3 shut down for the first 1/3 throttle or so.

I would think a reporgrammable one (where you can adjust the division of work between the pumps) would be slick.

Fingers

Village Idiot
Vendor/Sponsor
Apr 1, 2008
White Oak, PA
smart man. good job. I really like the idea of something programmable. Although most would say pulley speed from rpm is good enough for them. Or are you saying programmable to turn on lift pumps or something? Or programmable to shut one cp3 down when the second pump is really not needed??

Not that smart.

Pulleys are linear.

My understanding is rail pressure is unstable at higher RPMs. Probably because of over control of the second pump. Adding a dampening factor to the second pump's control at higher RPM would help that.

I was thinking Lift pumps.

Scaling of the work load between the pumps is possible too.

My first choice would be a small MCU I have here on the desk that I like to play with. Simple, but not easy to have the end user program. (easy for me) I have another one here that can run a LCD screen without issue while servicing the pumps. Probably the next best deal to adjust things via menus and parameters. Actually, it would keep people out of trouble.

Fingers

Village Idiot
Vendor/Sponsor
Apr 1, 2008
White Oak, PA
Anybody with dual fuelers have Fuel pressure logs they might like to share? A couple have dropped in my lap from a sled puller and they show almost a 5,000 PSI variation going down the track.

More importantly, is that a common problem?

Fingers

Village Idiot
Vendor/Sponsor
Apr 1, 2008
White Oak, PA
The pressure lag on spool up through 2000-2900 was significant (>5000 PSI or ~20% of commanded) and similar to what I had seen on my truck when it was a single CP3.

Bad assumption on my part.

That translated to about a 14%-17% longer pulse than needed to get the same amount of fuel. Maybe more.

Even after the pumps caught up the pressure fluctuated ~2000-3000 below commanded. Mostly above 3000 RPM. But I don't know how much of that is just draining the rail and how much is bad pump control. Since they seem to dampen out after about 1 sec of hard pulling, I suspect it is a control problem.