COmpound S480 or S475

Noreaster

Jun 13, 2007
Cape Cod,MA
I have a s475 with a 6 blade billet wheel with the standard .63 cover & a 1.10 housing, its the best all around setup Ive run so far

Id like to change the crossover & downpipe someday to run Tial's SS 1.17 v-band housing but I hate the fact that they cost almost $800

Burn Down

Hotrodder
Sep 14, 2008
Boise Idaho
Assuming the cam & head & compression ratio differences are not extreme, most people with 'built' engines could put their air and fuel setup on a stock long block and they wouldn't know the difference. And vise versa.

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

Sure, if you want to waste a ton of money on parts not needed to make 600hp.

Burn Down

Hotrodder
Sep 14, 2008
Boise Idaho
should i try that? :joker:
dont be a chicken shit James turn it up!

I was referring to your comparing built engines with stock statement. But thats getting off topic anyhow so nevermind

So what’s your recommendation for the op. My point was it’s tough to beat a 75 stocker setup for towing on a stock engine. Not a 1100hp built setup. Can it make as much power as a big atmo no but it will spool quicker and better suit the op’s needs. How are we off topic?

ikeG

Oughta Know Better
Apr 19, 2011
Western PA
www.facebook.com
I missed your point til now. I thought you were talking specifically about the turbos' driving characteristics with built vs stock engines, not the potential and capabilities. And if we discussed that it would be off topic.

For towing I would definitely try a 87 tw in either a t6 housing or even a 1.25 t4. They are extremely lazy for a t4 in a single setup in my experience. But if you make/buy a kit with a t4 flange you limit yourself severely on turbo changes in the future.

Last edited:

Burn Down

Hotrodder
Sep 14, 2008
Boise Idaho
I missed your point til now. I thought you were talking specifically about the turbos' driving characteristics with built vs stock engines, not the potential and capabilities. And if we discussed that it would be off topic.

For towing I would definitely try a 87 tw in either a t6 housing or even a 1.25 t4. They are extremely lazy for a t4 in my experience. But if you make/buy a kit with a t4 flange you limit yourself severely on turbo changes in the future.

Ok I’m with you. I think we all misunderstand each other sometimes.

diesel-max

Haisley Never heard of her
Oct 20, 2011
IN
Are you gated around the 65? I thought the 65 was to much of a restriction to get over 950hp.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Gates are required for drive pressure regulating. So sizing on compressors doesn’t really have much to do with that need.

But the 65, is what was determined to be a fleece cheetah that was acquired on the original junk yard motor. It’s a 4094 turbine wheel that’s been clipped into a lbz housing that has been bored out to make it fit, They also used a cast 4088 wheel in it, so I had my man Mark send me one of his vane packages and he has a 4088 billet compressor wheel so naturally it was a drop in replacement. I’m not sure how if even possible he would compare it to his line of chargers.

The atmosphere is a SD 5blade 85/96T-6 1.10

At 2250uS and 24* it made 1132hp at the tire on my dyno dynamics dual eddy chassis dyno.

I don’t have a switch, nor will I probably ever in any of my trucks and just this past week I hauled a buddies lbz on my gooseneck and it did great.

dordtrecht5

Regular Cabs Rock
Jul 21, 2009
Wherever I am working
Gates are required for drive pressure regulating. So sizing on compressors doesn’t really have much to do with that need.

But the 65, is what was determined to be a fleece cheetah that was acquired on the original junk yard motor. It’s a 4094 turbine wheel that’s been clipped into a lbz housing that has been bored out to make it fit, They also used a cast 4088 wheel in it, so I had my man Mark send me one of his vane packages and he has a 4088 billet compressor wheel so naturally it was a drop in replacement. I’m not sure how if even possible he would compare it to his line of chargers.

The atmosphere is a SD 5blade 85/96T-6 1.10

At 2250uS and 24* it made 1132hp at the tire on my dyno dynamics dual eddy chassis dyno.

I don’t have a switch, nor will I probably ever in any of my trucks and just this past week I hauled a buddies lbz on my gooseneck and it did great.
How did you like the 5blade from SD? I've been considering going that route, except with a 480 when the time is right. How do they sound?

Sent from my Moto Z (2) using Tapatalk