Compatible Exhaust Housings for VGT Turbo

MAXX IT OUT

<<<IT WORKS
Mar 1, 2013
Des Moines, Iowa
On my C10 Build I am thinking about remote mounting my turbo to help with a couple of things. Is there any other exhaust housings that will bolt on to the duramax VGTs without a weird flange or housing. I know that 6.0 powerstroke turbos are pretty similar, but not sure if its the same housing and if its vband flange flows similar to normal flange.

Bdsankey

Vendor
Vendor/Sponsor
Feb 1, 2018
Neenah, Wisconsin
If you're going to remote mount the turbo why even mess with the OEM turbocharger? If spoolup is the concern you can go with a small S300 SXE if your goal isn't to make a ton of power.

MAXX IT OUT

<<<IT WORKS
Mar 1, 2013
Des Moines, Iowa
If you're going to remote mount the turbo why even mess with the OEM turbocharger? If spoolup is the concern you can go with a small S300 SXE if your goal isn't to make a ton of power.
The main reason I want to keep the vgt beside the quick spooling is for the exhaust brake. I am planning on autocrossing and maybe doing track day stuff and think that it might give me some advantage over just using brakes. The Power goal is about 600HP, but I want to beable to rev to at-least 4500RPM and still make desent power without drive pressure being threw the room.

Bdsankey

Vendor
Vendor/Sponsor
Feb 1, 2018
Neenah, Wisconsin
The main reason I want to keep the vgt beside the quick spooling is for the exhaust brake. I am planning on autocrossing and maybe doing track day stuff and think that it might give me some advantage over just using brakes. The Power goal is about 600HP, but I want to beable to rev to at-least 4500RPM and still make desent power without drive pressure being threw the room.

Then a VGT without a wastegate is probably not going to meet your RPM goals without a massive turbine VGT. As for housings, that I cannot help with. I do not have any experience with what housings are compatible. That may be a Danville or similar turbo builder question.

Chevy1925

don't know sh!t about IFS
Staff member
Oct 21, 2009
Phoenix Az

your going to want one of those banks turbo brakes or something like them and run it off CO2. i dont see the VGT giving you everything you want but maybe? its hard to say the 600hp and 4500rpm will work as we dont really have turbo maps to look at. if you gate around the VGT for the upper rpm, add the banks turbo brake on CO2 and then see how fast the vanes react from 0-100% position, that might be a very viable option. im saying using the two "turbo brakes" as the two combined will really make a difference.

JoshH

Daggum farm truck
Staff member
Vendor/Sponsor
Feb 14, 2007
Texas!!!
I would not want to use an exhaust brake for a race track. It would be inconsistent and unpredictable which are two very important aspects of braking on a track when you are pushing the limits.

Reactions: Bdsankey

darkness

Jul 15, 2009
vegas
I would think you’d be better off focusing on your brakes. The Turbo brake is slow especially between gear changes. And it would need to be set to your lowest (slowest) corner which could hurt some of your higher speed ones. JMO.

Reactions: Bdsankey

gmduramax

Shits broke
Jun 12, 2008
Nor cal
I get what you’re trying to do, but a Diesel engine at 4500-4800 rpm should create a lot of engine braking on its own from the high compression. I wouldn’t worry so much about using a turbo brake, but gearing it correctly to be 4800rpm at the top of your auto cross top speed in second gear. That’ll still give you plenty of engine braking to get the rear end to rotate around tight corners.
It might be beneficial to get a turbo that runs close to 1:1 up to 4200rpm and push it a little past that for auto cross to help with engine braking. But on a road course keep that turbo 1:1 to reduce heat you’re going to want all the power so you could shift at 4200rpm

MAXX IT OUT

<<<IT WORKS
Mar 1, 2013
Des Moines, Iowa
I am not planning on skimping on brakes, since i have a set of 14.5 inch Brembo's brakes with 6 pots in the front and 4 in the rear. The rear gear is 3.07, so it should give a speed of about 50 in first, 85 in second, and 125 in thirds at 4500RPM, which should be fine for any tracks around here.. The whole reason behind wanting to remote mount it, is to put all the heat some were i can vent it, plus being able to set the engine back further will not hurt anything. If the exhaust brake doesn't work, no big deal, and will make it really easy to swap turbos if that need comes up.

monster50iii

Dec 5, 2014
Drive pressure will be fairly high compared to a fixed vane. A gated fixed vane would be ideal.

I experimented with a 68stg2r and found on a 500hp tune, the vgt had nearly 20psi more drive pressure than my s369sxe making the same boost pressure. Plus the fixed vane was 1:1 until rpms crept past 2400, whereas the vgt was always 1.5:1 and 2:1. I tried opening the vanes more to help with this but then the charger just got lazy. Id spend the extra dough and get a small gated s300sxe. To be honest I was pretty surprised how lazy the 68 was below 1800rpms. It's a bigger charger, and it did pick up boost quicker than my s369, but not by alot. The trade offs weren't worth it in my opinion as far as drive pressure is concerned. Fixed vane ftw