Common issues with the 2015+ trucks?

Dozerboy

Jun 23, 2009
TX of course
I’m looking to replace my gas work truck with a newer one. I want to 2015 or newer. I’m just curious if there is any common issues amongst that body style. I’m getting ready to go look at a fully loaded one that has a pretty good price, but I’m a little concerned about all those extra gizmos will be giving me a lot of headaches down the road. I know they are going to increase the chance of something going wrong, but I don’t wanna find out that loaded trucks are having constant stupid issues. One thing in particular that irritates me about my 08 is a crappy body. I have stress cracks and torn spot weld all over the bed.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:

prostreeter600

Street rodder
Jul 18, 2010
Dallas Tx
I had a 2015 High Country and now a 2018 High Countrwith 23K on it already 0 problems. Keep in mind I have left both of them 100% bone stock .

036.6turbo

Jan 17, 2014
I am driving a 2015.5 Denali I built from a wreck, only issue I have is P21DD MIL, def tank heater code.

I will obviously address that, other than that I love it.

Building another one for my son.

Dozerboy

Jun 23, 2009
TX of course
I should have said I will probably stick with a gas engine. I’m pretty familiar with all the issues on the diesel trucks powertrain, so my concern is more the rest of the truck. Truck will stay stock unless some sort of improvement is necessary due to the failure of a factory part.

Ne-max

I like turtles
Nov 15, 2011
Lincoln, Ne
Most issues we see are emissions related. Lots of urea heaters and nox sensors. For some reason we have had a handful of 15s we had to replace drivers side fuel rail cause of fpr issues. Only 15s though. Biggest thing I hate about them is the carpet fender liners with metal screws.

snowman22

Jan 30, 2018
SoCal
My denali is chipping on the color matched front bumper so bad my wife calls it "pepper white." It does have 90k+ on the clock though.

The factory side steps covers (part you step on) are made of plastic and mine broke pretty easy.

The stupid seat vibrators keep breaking the wires right at the vibrator causing a "service driver alert system" warning. I'm on my 4th sensor, but it's an easy change.

My factory bed liner is de-lamenting in a few spots, but I'm not nice to it either. At the end of the day, it's a truck for me that needs to hold whatever I throw in it. I think I throw more things than I set down...

Other than that my 15.5 has been great and I would buy another in a second.

matt78

Finally boosted launches
Sep 10, 2012
texas
Work truck is a 2016 crewcab 6.0 vortech with a service body. 97,600 miles. No issues ,well non yet. We bought it new when we started our company. Towed heavy maybe 10 times. Im not easy on it ,alot of Dallas traffic and such. Im happy with it. Only oil changes and tires. Hope that helps

Mike L.

Got Sheep?
Staff member
Vendor/Sponsor
Aug 12, 2006
Fullerton CA
I should have said I will probably stick with a gas engine. I’m pretty familiar with all the issues on the diesel trucks powertrain, so my concern is more the rest of the truck. Truck will stay stock unless some sort of improvement is necessary due to the failure of a factory part.

Mine is a gas engine 6.2 L86.

CarolinaHD

Feb 8, 2011
NC
All the differential bearings and u joints are made in China now. Dad's 2017 2500 6.0 is getting the rear axle replaced right now with 10k miles on it. Passenger side wheel bearing disintegrated.

ikeG

Oughta Know Better
Apr 19, 2011
Western PA
www.facebook.com
Front rotors seem to warp quickly, particularly duallys. If you live in the rust belt, the brake caliper slides can guald up and ruin the rotors. The slide pins are sealed from the elements with a rubber plug but a lot of the ones we get in are rusted tight anyhow.

We've also just had a TSB done on a 15 where the steering box nut on top backs off and makes the truck steer extremely sloppy. This one was so bad you could turn the steering wheel several inches either way before the wheels turned at all.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk