Colorado emissions

hipp11B

Apr 1, 2015
Georgia
Hello everyone! So I am going to be getting out of the army in about 5 months being medically retired for 4 herniated discs, and a rare kidney disorder, as well as some other b.s however the wife and I have been seriously considering Colorado as our new permanent home, I'm originally from Pa I've lived in MD and WV and am currently stationed in Ga. I think Co is a beautiful state and as far as freedom and liberty it seems to me that your state has there shit together a little bit more than my previous states. With that being said, I'm a little bit concerned about the emissions; I had a friend awhile back tell me that Colorado had very strict emissions on diesels and that you couldn't even be strait piped or they would screw you? Not sure if this is accurate I tried doing some research and came up blank, I figured this would be an appropriate place as any to ask. Just wanting to know with the mods I have an I going to have an issue and what exactly are there requirements. Obviously I'm tracking that you can't straight pipe anywhere lol but my last states you could get away with pretty much any mod without being messed with. Thanks guys!

Lbz, built trans, efi by Eisenhart diesel, Danville 68, full egr delete, mbrp down pipe, 5" mbrp to 7" stack, ppe guages, custom traction bars, airdog2 165, ppe fuel rail mods, s&b, age blade runner, Arp head studs..died March 2015

Awenta

Sep 28, 2014
CT
On this topic I'm curious who's the most lenient.

They don't do visual inspections here even though they're supposed to. We do have opacity tests though.

Sent from my SM-N910V using Tapatalk

NinjaMax

WTF!
Oct 3, 2012
Severance, Colorado
Depends on the county, most rural counties only require emission's withen the city limit. Weld county were I live is like that, I live just outside a small town and there's no emissions. Maybe Dustin will chime in, his shop does the testing.

Lots of modded strait piped diesels in Colorado, most license out of city limits. Not bad at all in my experience, what part are you looking at?

hipp11B

Apr 1, 2015
Georgia
We are looking at a few different locations Colorado Springs area, castle rock area, maybe del Norte, but in any case we will be outside town and city limits we are outdoorsy people that enjoy our privacy. Thanks for the info

Lbz, built trans, efi by Eisenhart diesel, Danville 68, full egr delete, mbrp down pipe, 5" mbrp to 7" stack, ppe guages, custom traction bars, airdog2 165, ppe fuel rail mods, s&b, age blade runner, Arp head studs..died March 2015

chevyburnout1

Fixing it till it breaks
Aug 25, 2008
Berthoud, CO
Wade basically hit it on the head. It all depends on the address where your vehicle is registered. I'm a certified tester here in northern Colorado and trust me the testing is a joke. It's like gun control laws, it only screws the innocent uneducated person. The requirements to pass are only a visible inspection of the original installed emissions equipment (whether it works or not), and the truck has to blow 35% or less opacity from a 30 second dyno pull that runs from 60mph down to 40mph. 500hp Duramax's with hollowed cats and blocked egr valves can still easily pass whether they run a stock or cranked up tune.

c20elephant

C20ELEPHANT
Apr 25, 2013
Phoenix, Arizona
Wherever you move don't be surprised if they have emissions now that at some point if the equipment is upgraded it'll be an OBD-2 test used and being tested in California (STAR) and random enforcement on the highways.

All new programs the EPA forces on the states and counties will be CARB, straight from the land of fruits and nuts. You can go to EPA.gov or the states air quality website and see what is filed with the EPA for the 10 year air quality plan..

Mine passes, IF the equipment and test are upgraded I doubt it will pass the new STAR system being tested in California.

This happens in California

sounds good, but like I said, I know first hand and was sent to the BAR by one for getting on the freeway in front of him, knew he was there so being stupid was not an issue.

Once pulled over, he crawled under the truck, did a visual for a cat.. it was there.. opened the hood did a visual and then said, looks pretty good but unfortunate for you, you will be required to go to the BAR to get it cleared. So I got a fix it ticket and a summons to appear in court, if I did not get signed off by bar and then present to CHP with in a time frame.

So I know.

Recently, like in the last month, we had a customer with the same issue come in and had to do the same. He was at the shop because of the results of the BAR inspection.

Never ever say it can not happen

The CHP Scale Tech do represent commercial and private diesel applications and do do random freeway stops and have a beat to patrol, not just working the scales.

My last and previous inspection in Maricopa:

Shut down the truck in the building tail end partially outside

Open the hood and do a visual on the engine along with a mirror check of the cat

Start the truck and the inspector looks on the dash for a CEL

Governor test, throttle to floor once hold then release, shut down truck

Opacity test, hook up sniffer tube to exhaust, watch the inspector for directions

Throttle up to governor 3 times as directed

Shut down truck, pay money, pass or fail papers......

Fail=no registration tags for the year

RosWell

May 30, 2008
I live in northern El Paso County. I get tested/inspected every year. I had to put a cat back in and remove the EGR blocker to pass. They don't know that the EGR is disabled via EFI live and still passes.

Denver failed EPA air quality tests this year. Expect it to get worse, not better.
https://www.denverpost.com/2019/03/22/colorado-air-quality-violations/

On the plus side, the aftermarket cat makes no noticable difference in performance or efficiency.

Roswell

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

Columbus450

Aug 24, 2017
Louisiana
Colorado is a beautiful state I used to live in Westminster,arvada,wheatridge all close to denver.. Sadly enough I would never move back I have been gone 7 years and the state has changed so much in that short amount time for the worse mainly around the Denver area , So many homeless people and lots of crime they can't keep any of it in control

people legally could basically pitch A-tent in front of your house and take a crap in your yard and get away with
They're trying to ban guns also , And don't get me started on the gay parades and all the homosexuals, I know people that live in Denver that Lives there their whole lives and are moving out of the city because it has Gotten out of control

Suggest if you move ther stay FAR from the city

Good luck on the move there is much more beautiful States that haven't been corrupted by a bunch of libs , like Montana/Idaho/Oregon

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

suavecito1177

Duranewb
Oct 27, 2014
Denver
I live in Morrison and drive my LMM daily. I now have to pass emissions annually, which is a task because I have to remove my straight pipe and reinstall the stock exhaust, remove blocker plate and reprogram stock tune. Then I can take her down for testing. Trying to find some vacant land in Park County which doesnt require emissions so I can register my truck there. I do alot of camping so having some land in hills would be nice anyways.