Allison 6sp: Coincidence or not??

xtremebikr04

Jan 17, 2011
Vermont
During the engine build process I pulled the transmission to put billet input, output, c2 hub (wanted to do p2 planet as well but mikes been out of them), ml pressure spring and put a longer spring in the converter flow valve to replace the current ball and spring to prevent pressure knockdown.

After this was all done the torque converter never acted right. It wouldnt lockup going down the road unless you were very very light on the throttle and then it seemed to only just barely engage but would immediately unlock/slip if any throttle was applied. It did throw a P0741 code. When the high idle wanted to come on in the cold weather as soon as it went to apply the torque converter, it would kick itself down and then try over. Mainly when the transmission was up to operating temp if you stopped and turned the truck off to go into a store you came back out to leave drive and reverse would barely work. You had to rev the truck up just to get it to move like the converter didnt want to work.

When I put the longer spring in I made sure it was the exact length as the ball and spring were, having both springs in your hand they felt the same (couldnt tell if one was stronger or weaker), when stroking the valve with both setups they again felt the same as each other that way too. Was this a coincidence my converter was on its way out or did I mess up the converter somehow with doing the longer spring or could something else have happened during the process? Transmission is a stage 5 ppe kit I built last year.

xtremebikr04

Jan 17, 2011
Vermont
Did you change over the sealing rings from one shaft to the next?

Just looked at the stock input to check and sure enough thats what I forgot to do. I can't believe id miss something like that but I guess thats what late nights will do to you. Thanks for your help mike:thumb:

Mike L.

Got Sheep?
Staff member
Vendor/Sponsor
Aug 12, 2006
Fullerton CA
Just looked at the stock input to check and sure enough thats what I forgot to do. I can't believe id miss something like that but I guess thats what late nights will do to you. Thanks for your help mike:thumb:

Don't feel like you're alone.:roflmao: