Coilovers!!

Chevy1925

don't know sh!t about IFS
Staff member
Oct 21, 2009
Phoenix Az
So does no one make a kit for this yet? J/W

i would only suggest the viking and qa1's to a truck that sees more track time than street time. the few trucks ive seen with this setup and ran them on the street for a length of time had spherical bearing issues. they are just too small for our weight.

RPM Motorsports

smokinum
May 13, 2008
Central Valley Ca.
i would only suggest the viking and qa1's to a truck that sees more track time than street time. the few trucks ive seen with this setup and ran them on the street for a length of time had spherical bearing issues. they are just too small for our weight.

Double shocks, 1/2 the spring weight per shock, twice the bearing surface area to absorb the weight/abuse?

Chevy1925

Staff member
Oct 21, 2009
Phoenix Az
Double shocks, 1/2 the spring weight per shock, twice the bearing surface area to absorb the weight/abuse?

then there goes "bolt in ability" without the need for a new frame mount and control arm. pure performace did that and its a great way to get around the issues

RPM Motorsports

smokinum
May 13, 2008
Central Valley Ca.
A set of Cognito dual shock hoops wouldn't work, Shocks mounted to the UCA? That's about as bolt on as one could get I would think. I'll have to measure the shock separation between the two next chance I get.

Chevy1925

Staff member
Oct 21, 2009
Phoenix Az
A set of Cognito dual shock hoops wouldn't work, Shocks mounted to the UCA? That's about as bolt on as one could get I would think. I'll have to measure the shock separation between the two next chance I get.

No, no way i would run that. separation would be extremely tight and probably wouldnt work (OD of a 2.5ID spring is around 4.5" in an 800lbs spring IIRC). not to metion the deflection you would get from the shock hoop and the fact the UCA ball joints wear faster with shocks on them vs not having on them, add vehicle weight to it and they wont last long.

brokesmoke

Pick a lane...
Dec 13, 2012
Charleston, SC
Is there anyway around this? I'd rather go beefy the first time for longevity. I'm just not sure which way to go as mine is a weekend warrior and DD. I'm just kind of amazed there isn't a nice engineered kit for this yet.

Chevy1925

Staff member
Oct 21, 2009
Phoenix Az
Is there anyway around this? I'd rather go beefy the first time for longevity. I'm just not sure which way to go as mine is a weekend warrior and DD. I'm just kind of amazed there isn't a nice engineered kit for this yet.

popularity never was there. after all, its a 7-8k lbs truck made for hauling trailers around and daily work horse. most people are not after the little niche market of coilovers for these trucks.

leave the torsions and put dual adjustable shocks in the front if you daily it that much. the spring rate of a coilover is nice for a DD but at this point, there is no ''having your cake and eating it too".... yet. there wont be any way around the high amount of adjustablilty the torsion bars offer as far as adjusting vehicle height though.

WisconsinHick1

Mar 11, 2009
Minnesota
popularity never was there. after all, its a 7-8k lbs truck made for hauling trailers around and daily work horse. most people are not after the little niche market of coilovers for these trucks.

leave the torsions and put dual adjustable shocks in the front if you daily it that much. the spring rate of a coilover is nice for a DD but at this point, there is no ''having your cake and eating it too".... yet. there wont be any way around the high amount of adjustablilty the torsion bars offer as far as adjusting vehicle height though.

Listen to James he much more smarter then most when it comes to coilovers.

moparkxracer

Jun 25, 2010
Out and about
That's what we did on mine, the lower bearings where destroyed again. Only had a few rides on them. Should have it finished up tomorrow.

picture.php

c20elephant

C20ELEPHANT
Apr 25, 2013
Phoenix, Arizona
Reads as though it's time to call QA-1 or Viking to manufacture/update a dual adjustable shock for these trucks. If we were to all call/email and ask one of them they might step up and accommodate us. I just want a set of dual adjustable shocks for now leaving the torsion bars intact.

To date I have called and emailed information to 3 manufacturers to update/build parts for the Duramax/Silverado/Sierra/2500HD and within a 2 months parts were available on their website. One supplier we went through 2 sets and the 3rd we got it right...:thumb:

I would, just do not have the cash to for new shocks as other maintenance, repair items are staring me in the face....

Last edited: