Question: Cognito 4-6 NTBD or Tuff Country 4"for stock height???

TowU4Free

#SecretSquirrel
Aug 27, 2011
Guys i want to order one or the other TODAY. Heres the kicker, I dont want my truck to sit any higher than it does not maybe an inch at the absolute most. I was dead set on the Tuff Country 4in system but the "REALIFTSUSP.com" Torsion bar relocators are no longer available and i really dont want to have to mess with the rear crossmember or have one hanging down for that matter if i dont have to . The Cognito 4-6 kit looks nice but how is it for Sled pulling/ Drag racing. And how low will it really go? The whole purpose of the lift is so i dont have to lower the torsion bars at the track. Also if any vendors want to jump in on quotes i am buying TODAY! Thanks guys.. heres the part numbers im looking at.

Tuff country : 14933
Cognito : FSLK100407

if this Cognito kit will sit as low as the tuff country be as strong and a decent deal it will probably suite my needs. Im not sure if it comes with a PISK system but i think i have one already. Also i DO NOT need the rear blocks/ubolts from either kit

RPM Motorsports

smokinum
May 13, 2008
Central Valley Ca.
Not a Cognito vendor on THIS site, but the Cognito kit will only go down 3.5" lift depending on truck. All lifts from Cognito direct will come with a PISK. Any Cognito dealer should be able to build you a custom package any way you like. Basically you would be ordering the "front box kit" with front shocks. Both kits will work fine racing/pulling, Cognito being better quality wise and with a higher price tag.

TowU4Free

#SecretSquirrel
Aug 27, 2011
I'm sorry I should've clarified I do not want to use the shocks either as I have brand-new adjustables upfront I can make my own bracket if need be to lengthen them 3.5 inches seems like it would be pretty much leveled height correct

RPM Motorsports

smokinum
May 13, 2008
Central Valley Ca.
2-2.5" would be level on most 2500 trucks, 3500's usually need keys to level completely. A leveling package will get you what you want, less work and cheaper. Just drop the front before you race/pull.

Hot COCOAL

May the farce be with you
Jun 9, 2012
Guys i want to order one or the other TODAY. Heres the kicker, I dont want my truck to sit any higher than it does not maybe an inch at the absolute most. I was dead set on the Tuff Country 4in system but the "REALIFTSUSP.com" Torsion bar relocators are no longer available and i really dont want to have to mess with the rear crossmember or have one hanging down for that matter if i dont have to . The Cognito 4-6 kit looks nice but how is it for Sled pulling/ Drag racing. And how low will it really go? The whole purpose of the lift is so i dont have to lower the torsion bars at the track. Also if any vendors want to jump in on quotes i am buying TODAY! Thanks guys.. heres the part numbers im looking at.

Tuff country : 14933
Cognito : FSLK100407

if this Cognito kit will sit as low as the tuff country be as strong and a decent deal it will probably suite my needs. Im not sure if it comes with a PISK system but i think i have one already. Also i DO NOT need the rear blocks/ubolts from either kit
I was pretty much in the same boat you are, as far as technical reasons for what/why I wanted a lift kit...

A 4-6" front kit from Cognito with Cognito UCA's installed and NO T-bar bolts will sit level to 1/4" taller than the stock rear height...it doesn't look right to my eyes. I didn't use blocks for the rear, I removed the overload and added a Deaver 2" mini pack and now with the front set as low as possible sits with a rake of 2"

The front will also have a static height of +/- 1" over a stock height truck with NO T-bar bolts installed. I like the 4-6" kit because when it is set low its a deceiving addition that I think looks like what GM would do if they offered a "ZR2" package for the Silverado

Here's .02
If I could do it again, I would not lift my truck. I would use the monies I "would've" spent on a kryptonite front end or a twin turbo kit or stroker/dual CP3 or a spare trans (I'm gunna need one soon, lol) etc...
Your truck looks perfect already

Last edited:

TowU4Free

#SecretSquirrel
Aug 27, 2011
Jason, thanks for the insight.. However i am so dang tired of lowering the torsion bars at the track dirt drags /sled pulls etc now my key bolts keep stripping so im done!! LOL

Hot COCOAL

Jun 9, 2012
Jason, thanks for the insight.. However i am so dang tired of lowering the torsion bars at the track dirt drags /sled pulls etc now my key bolts keep stripping so im done!! LOL

Well that sucks
Yeah, I get it. I had pretty much the same intentions as you and I just thought that I would throw it out there that I didnt and I don't think you'll like the results either...

Installing a new crossmember every so often is a heck of alot cheaper and easier tho?
You take a jack with you and are removing/installing the T-bar bolts with no weight in the front end?

TowU4Free

#SecretSquirrel
Aug 27, 2011
Yea, taking a heavy ass jack, laying in the corn field, then the bolts stripping the heads twice now all of a sudden, then when the night is done and i want to go home im tired i gotta crank it back up etc. just a pain

Hot COCOAL

Jun 9, 2012
I WONT even try to lie about it, its pretty sweet to run around ready to race...
It just took me more than the front kit to set it up like that and make it "right"

Hot COCOAL

Jun 9, 2012
Which, for me and what I want to do...and now in hindsight, is why I said I'd leave it stock and just use shackles and bags in the rear and adjustable shocks on all four...

Hot COCOAL

Jun 9, 2012
Save yourself now and just get another truck
LMAO

I've come to the realization that I "need" a lifted AND a lowered one...

dmax_ty

Aug 18, 2011
Utah
You will be right around 42.5-43" ground to fender height for the front with the t-bar bolts removed with the Cognito. I've had both the Tuff Country and the Cognito and would get the Cognito again if I had to.

TowU4Free

#SecretSquirrel
Aug 27, 2011
Ok, thanks! So would I be better off using lowering keys or a 1inch block in the rear to get it near level with front

dmax_ty

Aug 18, 2011
Utah
Clearance and angles wise I would get the lift, IMO. You have 20x10 rims on 33's right? Hard to tell from your avatar....I think you would be happy with the Cognito. You can set it once and not have to dick with it anymore at pulls. You will be damn close to level with the bolts all the way out.

TowU4Free

#SecretSquirrel
Aug 27, 2011
Sorry I'm confusing everybody today . I meant lowering keys with the lift. I ordered the cognito lift its on the way :thumb:

TowU4Free

#SecretSquirrel
Aug 27, 2011
Got everything installled, drove in for alignment today. does Anyone have pics of THIS Cognito lift with the stock keys turned all the way down? Id like to see the CV angles. I have lowering keys in it right now and i dont think they were necessary