Question: CNG tuning LBZ

PureHybrid

Isuzu Shakes IT
Feb 15, 2012
Central OH
Have a friend that bought a 2007 Chevy with an LBZ. He also installed a CNG tank and got a module setup from Marc Deluca (sp?). I have been messing with the calibration a little bit, but I have a couple questions.

First, he took me for a ride with the "stock" tune. When lugging up a hill, it started rolling smoke pretty bad, and when WOT it never cleared up (this is also when injecting CNG). With the CNG off it still smoked more than a stock truck should, but not bad. I read the stock tune and compared it to a stock file from diesel place and all the tables appeared to be stock. I changed a few little things like timing in the cruise area, opened up the vanes at idle, speed limiter, turned egr off, and added a turbo brake.

I talked to him today at his place, he was having a small drivability issue down low (1400rpm or so) when the cng starts injecting it likes to take off on him. I changed the vane table a little so the turbo doesn't spool up so fast, and lowered the pw all over the table (made it similar to a stock LLY pw table since he has the cng for power) so the throttle wasn't as touchy, and up top he said it ran hot (1500F or so). These things helped the smoke output up top, still has plenty of power, but @50mph with the converter locked up it likes to roll smoke. Also when warmed up, it started to lope at an idle when in P/N, NOT in gear. I thought about changing the converter lockup/shift points but Ive never done this, where in the tune file is it? Do I need to read the TCM file along with the ECM?

Any insight you guys have at all would help. Sorry about the long read, and this will probably be a long process getting it figured out, our schedules only match up every other week or so.

Thanks in advance :thumb:

Jesse

PureHybrid

Isuzu Shakes IT
Feb 15, 2012
Central OH
Nobody? Not one person here has experience with cng on a diesel?

Well I did put the pw table back to stock and it quit loping, so I guess leave the pw alone in the sub 800rpm range to deal with the idle?

Suppose I'll have to do a few tune/test sessions. I'll post my results for future reference.

I also made sure all the post injection tables were zero, and also pilot #2. Engine still sounds quiet, I assume this is ok, wasnt sure if it was common with stockish lbz's.

PureHybrid

Isuzu Shakes IT
Feb 15, 2012
Central OH
I dont think I answered my own question... The regulators for the cng do take some time to get seated properly but hes been driving it for a few weeks. There isnt a "nozzle" size for the inlet, you just have to adjust the spring to change where it comes on at different rpm ranges. Right now it starts at about 1400rpm. The flow restriction is just how big of line you are feeding the regulator with.

The truck does run fine with the cng turned off, it has fresh fuel/air filter and all fluids were changed. Its a lower mileage truck, no noises or boost leaks from what I can see/hear. I have a theory that the pilot injection is igniting the cng, and theres just not much air left for the main injection? The cng he gets tested @ 120 octane.

Stingpuller

The Pusher Man
Jan 11, 2007
central Ohio
Cng

You really shouldn't change anything when running cng in the tune. It sounds like your injecting to much cng without enough air. CNG is a fuel it's not like nitrous it doesn't bring the air with it. Marcs kit has a valve that you need to adjust the amount that is injected. I would assume it's a stock turbo? Just put a good performance tune and it will work fine.

PureHybrid

Isuzu Shakes IT
Feb 15, 2012
Central OH
Thanks Jeff, I know you have ran cng before in the dpc right?

Stock turbo/intake, straight piped exhaust.

The first tune was basically stock but it was getting hot and it was touchy. I know its just another fuel source, but he gets his cng for next to nothing so he has the regulator set pretty "loose" so to speak to use as much as possible instead of diesel. Marc told Kasey that he should see 30-50mpg but I have a feeling hes running it harder than need be. Last I talked to Kasey its only getting 22.

Stingpuller

The Pusher Man
Jan 11, 2007
central Ohio
Cng

If he is only getting 22 something is wrong. I was getting 40 to 60 with CNG. I was running 2 to 1. At 60 mpg I was using 2 gal. cng to 1 gallon of diesel. He should see a lot better than he is.

PureHybrid

Isuzu Shakes IT
Feb 15, 2012
Central OH
I suppose I should add some info to this.

We ended up cutting the pulse way back at WOT to keep the temps in check (the controller will turn CNG off at a set egt).

Also some of the problems he was having are resolved. He took the low pressure regulator apart, and found a stainless chip from where the tubing was reamed and wasn't cleaned 100%. Also had some chaffed wires on the truck side of things.

Setup seems to be working good, he took a trip to KY and peaked 46mpg on diesel.

He added a dsp5 switch so he could test multiple tunes for cutting fuel without me having to flash it constantly.

PureHybrid

Isuzu Shakes IT
Feb 15, 2012
Central OH
Well, haven't updated this in a while! Truck became a victim of a cracked piston over a year ago, messed the block up as he kept it running to try and get his grain wagon off the road. He went +.040" bore I think. Truck has almost 200k on it now, ended up taking the CNG kit off after the rebuild. I feel he kind of blamed the CNG, but he ran the dog piss out of it according to his dad (which I work with, and trust more LOL. Claims his son could break an anvil with a rubber mallet) and we all know these things have cracked with pretty mild tunes.

More than a few occasions his dad recalls of running it on a hot street tune that I setup incase he wanted power but was out of cng, and he left the cng turned on "just to see what it would do"