Cleaning the intercooler internally

J_Stone06

Wasn't me...🥴
Oct 13, 2012
Nowhere, KS
So I did some searching on here and couldn't really find anything on the topic so to speak. I'm about to change out my DS hot pipe and put an aftermarket one on with a PPE boot and was wondering if/how I could clean the intercooler internally. I have never taken the pipe or angled boot off before so I'm kinda clueless. Is it possible to get a shop vac with a clear hose and try to suck out any contaminants/oils? Thanks for any input.
On edit: without removing the intercooler

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

Last edited:

SSchmi5519

LLY Cult Leader
Oct 19, 2008
Arizona
Best way I found to do it is take it out of the truck and quick run some water through it to clear out any loose crap.

Then lay it down on a flat surface and fill it up with the degreaser of your choice (I like simple green and that purple power stuff) and let it sit for at least 2 beers.

After that I flush it out with the hose on full. make sure you don't do that part on the driveway...LOL. All kinds of crap comes out.

J_Stone06

Wasn't me...🥴
Oct 13, 2012
Nowhere, KS
Best way I found to do it is take it out of the truck and quick run some water through it to clear out any loose crap.

Then lay it down on a flat surface and fill it up with the degreaser of your choice (I like simple green and that purple power stuff) and let it sit for at least 2 beers.

After that I flush it out with the hose on full. make sure you don't do that part on the driveway...LOL. All kinds of crap comes out.
I was hoping you wouldn't say take it out of the truck, lol

SSchmi5519

LLY Cult Leader
Oct 19, 2008
Arizona
I was hoping you wouldn't say take it out of the truck, lol

Unfortunately with the way the inlet/outlet are positioned you can only clean like 15% of the cooler with it still in the rig. Plus side is that is the dirtiest part of the cooler.

J_Stone06

Wasn't me...🥴
Oct 13, 2012
Nowhere, KS
Unfortunately with the way the inlet/outlet are positioned you can only clean like 15% of the cooler with it still in the rig. Plus side is that is the dirtiest part of the cooler.
Is it channeled like an "S" or is it open throughout? I guess I mean, could I run a hose across the bottom without restrictions?

Robby Avery

GM TECH @ FENDER GMC
Jul 31, 2008
Norman Park, Georgia
I agree with sschmi5519 it will have to be removed merchant auto has a good cooling stack cleaning video on youtube. I use hvac foam brite coil/core cleaner not cheap but dang good stuff:thumb: