LB7: Clean power cap to save injectors

WolfLMM

Making Chips
Nov 21, 2006
AL
really? what changed? Cause the LLY FICM still works on the earlier electrical system. Injectors rails and heads are different, but the controller swaps over IIRC.

Still works with the 03 electrical sysetem but not the 01-02s.

KEVINL

Jul 4, 2008
Phoenix, AZ
But the 03 and 04 are not doing any better with the injectors

I don't know about that my 04 made it to 165k
I have see 01's with four sets of injectors by then

I don't think it has anything to do with the electrical though probably better filtration

How many times have they redesigned the Duramax fuel filter?

1chevy02

Jun 23, 2009
I don't know about that my 04 made it to 165k
I have see 01's with four sets of injectors by then

I don't think it has anything to do with the electrical though probably better filtration

How many times have they redesigned the Duramax fuel filter?

I made 165k on my original set also, If it was filtration why are the llys not having this issue. Same filter:confused:

rcr1978

Apr 1, 2007
Spring Creek, NV
My dads 02 is at 215,000 miles on its original set, smokes at idle a little but he keeps drivin it. Has had a 95hp tune in it for at least 180,000 miles and still runs strong and holds rail pressure.

Last edited:

DIESELMAFIAPER.LB7

<----new hotness
Jan 17, 2010
idaho
shop.dieselmafiaperformance.com
Interesting that with all of his secondary filtration systems and whatnot a friend of mine has replaced his injectors twice. Still runnin on one good battery and one bad one...and nasty dirty battery connections. Also curious why GM re-vamped the electrical system on '03-'04 LB7's.

you aren't talking bout me are you?:hello: i have only replaced mine once? they need new ones stock ones just arent cutting it:thumb:

TheBac

Why do I keep doing this?
Staff member
Apr 19, 2008
Mid Michigan
We've gone round and round and round about LB7 injectors for a long long time.. Some of the things Ive learned over the years:

1) Better filtering doesnt really help. But it doesnt hurt, either....
2) Fuel quality isnt really the issue, as that should be taken care of by the better filtering. BUT, as a rule, you should try to fill at high-volume stations anyways. Just to be safe.
3) Additives dont really help, but they dont hurt...same as filtering.
4) Electrical signal could have been something, but nobody will say for sure what facts/information have been found out from that. So thats probably a dead end.
5) It may be a voltage issue, but the gentleman running the LLY head/injectors setup with the LB7 FICM is proving that to be a dead end.
6) It may actually be in the ground side of the electrical system, instead of the feed side, but there is no hard evidence to back up my thoughts on this.
6) Cole (yes, Cole) has stated that the design of the head, with the separate cups, could have something to do with it. Something about different properties of the stainless steel vs aluminum in dealing with cooling. Sounds interesting, but have no idea how one would test it.

Bottom line is, nobody, not even Bosch, really knows why the LB7 injectors fail. Some trucks run them "forever", others get replaced multiple times.

I have 156,000 miles on my original injectors before I had to tear the engine apart. Two showed +/- 4, but the others were all fine. NO regular additives, no extra filtering, fueled at FlyingJ regularly. They should be heading off to Exergy to be tested sometime in the future.