Mike L.

Got Sheep?
Staff member
Vendor/Sponsor
Aug 12, 2006
Fullerton CA
Ya'll need to calm down and quit getting James worked up. He's liable to slap me next time he visits.:roflmao::hug::D

TheBac

Why do I keep doing this?
Staff member
Apr 19, 2008
Mid Michigan
So far so good, Jimmy, old boy! Thar's lots o' steps when rebuildin' a Dur-e-max, ain't thar?

:rofl:

Chevy1925

don't know sh!t about IFS
Staff member
Oct 21, 2009
Phoenix Az
He probably forgot the head dowels :rofl:

No need for them, hell I don’t even use gaskets. RTV does the job juuuuuust fine!

c9aec0fcb1d549e70f849fdc94e21bd4.jpg

Ya'll need to calm down and quit getting James worked up. He's liable to slap me next time he visits.:roflmao::hug::D

It’s a good thing you said something cause I checked the trans today and it wasn’t there like I thought it was. No damn idea where it went so I made another on the lathe :hug:

So far so good, Jimmy, old boy! Thar's lots o' steps when rebuildin' a Dur-e-max, ain't thar?

:rofl:

Ya know, with the engine outside the truck, I can play with them all day long and I’ve got them pretty well memorized on install order for parts, torque specs, orientation, and so on. Specially my junk. My issue is complacency. I have to stop myself sometimes and run back through what I did to verify it was right because I find myself kinda zinging through. I created a double check system just for that lol.

In other news, finished the engine, dropped it in and started bolting things down..... that’s when things didn’t go so well. The top left bell housing bolt decided it didn’t want to stay tight no more. While I was under there, buddy of mine was putting the converter bolts in. I only had him getting them started in their holes and I’d torque them. Well in my fun of the bell housing bolt, I figured I’d just leave it and pull the trans at my dads place after I got it running (he has a/c and a lift). I start running the converter bolts the rest of the way by hand and then torque them. Start clicking them off to 45ft lbs and 3rd one in starts bringing up torque and then goes loose..... lots of choice words said followed by me looking for a lighter :rofl:. Calmed down a bit and tried to get the bolt out. No dice, does not want to come out. So I threw my tools back on the bench and jammed the truck back inside. Really irritating when you ain’t even ramming shit home and this kind of stuff keeps screwing up. At this point I’m just attributing it to the fact the parts have been in and out of this thing many times and threads are getting worn, not the converter part but is what it is. I’ll pull the engine again either end of the week or some time this upcoming weekend and figure it out.

Burn Down

Hotrodder
Sep 14, 2008
Boise Idaho
It’s the heat brother... I almost lost my shit trying to get a cv axle out of the trailblazer ss today:mad: nothing seems to go right sometimes :rofl:

Chevy1925

Staff member
Oct 21, 2009
Phoenix Az
But it's a dry heat, right? :roflmao:

ill take it ANY day over humidity. my swamp cooler actually works right now and keeps the garage around 85 in 105* heat :D. just not when the garage is open with a truck 1/2 way in it as i stab the engine in.

Chevy1925

Staff member
Oct 21, 2009
Phoenix Az
Lol. You wouldn’t make it here then.

A couple times within the last few weeks we have had over 90% humidity by 10:00 am. Then the heat kicks in.

Nope, when we get into the 100s and 70%, I spend as much time up in flag as I can. 70s and 70% is way more bearable