Chevrolet cruze diesel

Blackmax123

Aug 2, 2014
central Pennsylvania
Not sure what thread to post this. Please move if needed.

To start vw is buying back my jetta tdi. So I'm looking to purchase a 2014 chevrolet cruze diesel with 10,190 on the odometer. But I've read some bad reviews of a lot of people having emission problems and regen issues. The guys on here with them, please chime in and let me know how yours have been.

Also dealer price I think seems decent, but going by KBB and Nada guide they're about $500 over what it's worth high retail value. So I'd basically like to know if they're worth the money or if I should just buy a 16 passat gasser I found at a dealer local to me that has 8,900 miles and is the same price.

TheBac

Why do I keep doing this?
Staff member
Apr 19, 2008
Mid Michigan
Moved into Smoke Signals for the time being, since we dont have a dedicated Cruze section (never needed it before -- who races them? :hehe:)

I think I read once that there are deletes for them, and they can be tuned. I 100% sure, though.
Actually got a crazy idea to trade the Aurora in at a local dealer for one, but really like not having a car payment.

Blackmax123

Aug 2, 2014
central Pennsylvania
I like not having a payment also especiallyfor a car. But since vw is buying my jetta back and it's not worth keeping I need a work car since I commute 70 miles a day. The money I'll save in fuel over driving my lml would make the payment.

I have heard they are efi live supported and duramaxtuner offers emission in tact tusing for them. But I have also read fleece has good tuning and downpipe for them. I also seen a YouTube video of fleece having theirs set up with compounds and 45 over injectors. I know exergy has/at least had one they were testing with.

In my case though I just want a dependable work car that get good mpg. I haven't owned a gas vehicle since 07 so it kinda makes it hard for me to wanna go back to one again. But I'm a mechanic for a licing and deal with the new diesel emissions daily and with the reviews I've read on the cruze seems there is a lot of people that have had issues with sensors, turbos and the car not regenerating on its own. But it is under warranty for 3 more years or 89k miles.

henery97

Apr 4, 2011
Nebraska
My girlfriend has had one since new. It's been decent I guess, has taken 2 sets of nox sensors since she bought it 14. This last set of sensors has lasted far longer than the first 2 so maybe gm figured something out. Both sets have been under warranty so I haven't been too concerned about it yet.

matt78

Finally boosted launches
Sep 10, 2012
texas
Old lady has a 2014. Had to replace the def tank heater once. Fuel filters are expensive but don't have to be done often. They are easy to change. Combined mileage is 35-39,open highway is 45-52 depending on speed. That car has 72000 on it now.

hondarider552

Getting faster
May 28, 2008
Arizona
I think Hondarider ( Brian ) ran 14's in his Cruze using Nox.

15.8 compared to a stock 16.4, little baby jet of nitrous post intercooler on a stock tune haha.

I had one, bought it new, loved the dang car, put 35k miles on it in 1.5 years.

I moved up north and I think that's what killed it, DEF froze and that was the start of my issues, DEF tank/heater/sensors replaced, then DPF didn't go into regen, exhaust system replaced, EGR motor replaced and 3 of the NOX sensors. It left me stranded twice due to the DEF level not reading correctly (same issues the LML has with the level sensor) so I had the dealer fix it, again, and I traded it in on my Cummins.

It consistently got 40+mpg. Damn good engine, just the emissions BS is what turned me off on it. At the time, there was no efilive support for it, and when there was, Fleece was the only one who would delete it, for a premium, and only in person. I would have kept the car if tuning was more available like it is now.

KyleC4

Tech
Dec 30, 2016
Bay Area
I actually like them. The most I've done with them at the dealer is nox sensors and def tank reservoir heater. But all have received special coverages on these components I believe outside of normal warranty range due to common issue. Also they recently got an ECM update and #1 nox sensor. Co-worker owns one and we made 750 mile round trip on single tank. The Aisin trans that's in them is pretty good as well.

Blackmax123

Aug 2, 2014
central Pennsylvania
I've read a lot about the def heaters and the nox sensors. The one I made a deal on today is a 14 has 10,350 miles. Has had aftertreatment nox sensor #1 replaced under warranty and the ecm updated. I'm gonna pick the car up Friday and hope for the best. Over all the car is way nicer than my 09 vw jetta tdi is.. I just hope it's as good of a car as the vw has been.

TheBac

Why do I keep doing this?
Staff member
Apr 19, 2008
Mid Michigan
Question: Is the emissions equipment on the Cruze warrantied to 100,000 miles/8 years or something like that?

KyleC4

Tech
Dec 30, 2016
Bay Area
They have a few different coverages for emissions. There's a 3/50, 7/70, and 8/80 coverages. And of course powertrain 5/100. But most emission parts that commonly fail on these cars are protected with special coverages that usually are 10 year 120k miles.

Blackmax123

Aug 2, 2014
central Pennsylvania
Yes, the dealer gave me a full break down of the warranty information. The separate the emission components into stages and each one has a different warranty as I understand it. I can post a picture of the warranty break down.

Only thing that's gets me is all my credit union wants to lend for the car. But looking around you'll never find one that meets their blue book requirements without putting money down. Even though I think I got a really good deal on the one I bought.

rmallen30

Aug 12, 2009
hillsboro ohio
I love mine we have two of them just recently purchased the second one about a week ago . The first one purchased New it now has 31k miles on it. Did have one sensor go bad. So just fully deleted it runs awesome now. The one we just picked up is stock with 41k miles on it. If any thing goes bad on it i will just delete it too .

Blackmax123

Aug 2, 2014
central Pennsylvania
I have seen yours on here before. I am going good Friday to pick mine up. I really like the interior and the looks of the car compared to my 09 vw jetta.. if it gives me any issues some parts will be falling off. Lol

What kind of mpg are you seeing with the fleece tunes? Will they email the tuning if you have a v2?

rmallen30

Aug 12, 2009
hillsboro ohio
At the time I did the white one I had to purchase their auto cal. And I already have a spare
One in the shop for the red one lol. My wife and I drove up to Michigan to pick a truck up
And we got 53 mpg on the way there. I was very impressed and that was hand figured not the dash mpg I think it read like 58 or so.

Blackmax123

Aug 2, 2014
central Pennsylvania
That's awesome. I'lly have to contact them after I pick it up and see if they can just email me a tune. I also seen a site the has a down pipe and egr delete kit, they also sell tunes also. I might get the stuff ready so if emissions issues appear I'll have a fix ready.

My jetta tdI is pretty consistent getting 39mpg per tank on my commute to work and back and the trips around on the weekends. I'll just be happy if the cruze can at least match it.