Check engine light after stereo install

jscribn1

LBZ
Mar 11, 2011
I have an 06 LBZ that I installed a new Pioneer head unit in. I had to remove the gauge cluster to run the bluetooth mic up to the A pillar. Now all said and done my check engine light is on. I took the negative battery cables off for about 30 minutes and it's still on. It happened a couple weeks ago so it's been started and shut off about 30-40 times. There is nothing wrong with the truck as it runs great with no performance issues. Any ideas? I don't have a scanner and don't want to pay $50-80 to have it cleared. Thanks for any input or help.

jscribn1

LBZ
Mar 11, 2011
Yes I do but didn't buy the module to make them work. I didn't use them so I figured I'd save $80 bucks

Hot COCOAL

May the farce be with you
Jun 9, 2012
Iirc, the module also communicates or works (electronically) somehow with the ECM/diagnostic system of the truck, also, the ECM might have sensed it lost communication/connection with the controls....

Something like that

I do know, if you have steering wheel controls, you need the module to use an aftermarket stereo. I think they can be found for much less than $80 too, not sure though...

jscribn1

LBZ
Mar 11, 2011
I bought the one to control the Bose, Onstar stuff so all my door chimes etc.... work but just that damn check engine light.

Hot COCOAL

Jun 9, 2012
I've always been told to use the module, I've installed a couple stereos into our trucks and used the harness/module and never had an issue...

As for the issues that "not" using the harness cause, idk...

Good luck man, but I'd start with finding a harness, or make sure you have the proper one for that aftermarket stereo:thumb:

Last edited:

jscribn1

LBZ
Mar 11, 2011
I'm going to give Crutchfield a call. That's where I bought everything and see what they say. Thanks for the advice

Hot COCOAL

Jun 9, 2012
I'm going to give Crutchfield a call. That's where I bought everything and see what they say. Thanks for the advice

Anytime, hope it was helpful...

What is the exact year and model of your truck...

What controls are on the wheel?

I know there's a bunch of guys on the forum here that probably know the correct part number for the proper harness for your rig of the top of their head, give it a minute(tonight)

Polaris7x

Dec 25, 2011
loves park, ill
no you do not need to use that module, if you have the one that runs the bose and stuff like that then your fine, thats what runs the onstar and all that crap. and you can go to your local auto store and have them scan it and see what it brings up

jscribn1

LBZ
Mar 11, 2011
I checked with Kragen and Auto Zone. They no longer use the scan tools to diagnose the CEL. I found a guy next to my gym that will do it for $25. I think I'm going to check it tomorrow. I also called Crutchfield who I bough the stereo from and they have never heard of the CEL coming on without the steering control harness. The only thing I did was unplug the instrument cluster then reinstalled it. Its a 2006 LBZ LT3, has all the steering wheel controls, all are still functional with the exception of the stereo ones.

Kappa9012

MAN.... I Broke it again.
Aug 5, 2008
Peoria Il
where are you located? your profile pic looks warm, but it could be a glow plug if it's cold enough out to trip them.

jscribn1

LBZ
Mar 11, 2011
No my key was not even in the ignition. Can't see it being a glow plug issue as I had no problems with the truck until the stereo install. I still don't have any issues other than the damn light.

SteveLBZ06

Jan 6, 2013
Central MA
Post your location, maybe someone local has a scanner and could read your codes for you..its really the only way to figure out the problem. Otherwise buy yourself a cheap scan tool for $100. It almost pays for itself the first time if you're being charged 80 to readcodes

Kappa9012

MAN.... I Broke it again.
Aug 5, 2008
Peoria Il
looks like you better check the module and wiring for that head unit.

Condition/Concern:
The dealer may encounter a customer concern of a SES light with the Wait to Start Control Circuit DTC P0381 or P0650 Malfunction Indicator Lamp (MIL) Control Circuit found.

Recommendation/Instructions:
If the DTC P0381 code cannot be duplicated, and it's only found as a history code, clear the DTC and evaluate the concern.

Engineering has been involved and investigated P0381/P0650 codes.

In most cases DTCs P0381 and P0650 will occur after a repair, during a radio upfit, an add-on dash switch modification, or upfitting of other aftermarket components.

For GMT900 Light Duty Trucks:
If P0381 and P0650 have set together after some type of electrical or under-dash repair, clear the DTCs and verify they do not reset after cleared. If the PC is unplugged and the key is cycled once you will set P0650. If the key is cycled a second time P0381 will be set along with P0650. If the power feed to the IPC is lost both P0381 and P0650 may set.
If DTC P0381/P0650 was not set before initial repair/modification, and only starting setting after repairs were completed, the repair needs to be rechecked. Connections and wiring to IPC (instrument panel cluster) should be inspected and repaired. If modification was made to original wiring harness it needs to be removed and setting of DTCs evaluated.
If P0650 is set by itself and was the original vehicle concern, complete the current SI diagnostics. ECM replacement is not suggested for P0650 set by itself. ECMs returned and inspected by engineering have been found no trouble found. Most P0650 codes have been repaired by either a wiring or IPC repair.

jscribn1

LBZ
Mar 11, 2011
When I drive it this week I will see if the light comes back on and go from there. I'm hoping it was just from when I unplugged the dash cluster. I remembered that when I did the stereo install I didn't disconnect the battery so that may have been an issue as well. Thanks for all the help and I'll update if I have more issues.