Changing setup, need opinions.

ZeroGravity58

Mar 23, 2008
Maryland
I did a bunch of work to my lmm in the spring. Trans refreshed with goerend R, 200 overs, dual fuelers and a couple other odds and ends. I started a motor build and life has got in the way. Want to make the truck more of a DD then a weekend warrior. Won't tow with it at all. Thinking about dropping the dual fuelers and run the single 10mm in the valley, also drop back down to the 100 over injectors. I can't figure out what to do for a turbo setup. Currently has 68vgt/s480 twins. I like them but I like the simplicity of a single. Would you keep the twins, run the 68vgt as a single, or run a fixed s300 or s400? I want to stick with the same converter

PureHybrid

Isuzu Shakes IT
Feb 15, 2012
Central OH
Is the motor currently out of the truck? You're just gathering parts until it blows? I'd keep the dual fuelers if you've got em, maybe drop injector size if you can do so without losing $, and just run the twins unless you're looking to make a buck selling the twin kit.

ZeroGravity58

Mar 23, 2008
Maryland
I have 90% of the parts to build a motor but thinking about selling everything. I thought id make more events these last few years and I haven't made one and doesn't seem like I will make any at all. Truck sits to much and I want to drive it more. I want to drop back and make it a fun DD, reliable SBE truck. Looking to make 700-750 without building it. I'm looking at keeping the 10mm which is currently in the valley, swapping to 200s for 100s, turbo setup is down to keeping the 68/480 combo, or run the 68 as a single. If and when it does break it would get a budget build, stock crank, so cal rods, mahle race cast. Just can decide on turbo setup, would a single 68vgt get me close?

Lparrill

And here we go again
Jul 30, 2010
Lander, WY
A 68vgt should get you right at or super near 700 whp fairly easily. My old duramax did 783 with a 72vgt at 7k elevation so I can’t see 700 being too out of spec for a 68vgt.

But I feel your pain on the truck. I sold my built motor truck because all it did was sit around too.

Also shameless plug, I’d be interested in your compound kit if you do decide to part ways with it.

ZeroGravity58

Mar 23, 2008
Maryland
Awesome. I thought about selling everything and throwing a 72mm in the valley as a single also. For now I'll prob stick with the 68 and it's easy enough to change down the road. I'll let you know on the kit. I'm going to pull everything off first and list it all for sale.

Chevy1925

don't know sh!t about IFS
Staff member
Oct 21, 2009
Phoenix Az
the 68 and little giggle gas will get you the power you want. id stick with the 200s though, you will need to drive that 68 pretty hard and keeping uS low will just make it more efficent.

if it were me, get it running and make sure you like it before selling it. if you aint hurting for the cash, it will just re-affirm if you like what you did. if not, you have options.

Reactions: gmduramax

KRODMAX/KS

It'll be alright
Jul 27, 2017
Oz
I run a 68 with 45% and had a 10mm 750/1450, changed to a 12mm 750/1537. I also run a K convertor from the R. It's a blast as a single turbo truck.
I've as always wanted to compound over the 68.
I would run what you've got n call it good. And have Mark tune it.
Good luck w your decision!

ZeroGravity58

Mar 23, 2008
Maryland
Thanks for the replies guys. I was making my decision off my daily. It's a 66, 60 overs, stock cp3 and Its a blast to drive. I figure it's somewhere from 550-600hp. If I do the 68, 100 overs, 10mm pump it should almost drive close but make roughly 100hp more and be dependable and reliable. Am I way off here? I thought about keeping the 200 but they are more smokey then I would like for a DD

ZeroGravity58

Mar 23, 2008
Maryland
the 68 and little giggle gas will get you the power you want. id stick with the 200s though, you will need to drive that 68 pretty hard and keeping uS low will just make it more efficent.

if it were me, get it running and make sure you like it before selling it. if you aint hurting for the cash, it will just re-affirm if you like what you did. if not, you have options.
Tha only thing I'm not sure about is the turbo setup. I'm gonna swap the 100's back in with a single 10mm pump. I only need a intake to run the 68vgt as a single as I have everything else. If I like it I will sell the twins if not I'll bolt the twins back in and I'm only out the cost of the intake. I'm not looking to make killer power anymore. Something reliable. If I run I'd prob run 7.70 class or try my hand and dirt drags

OleBlackyLBZ

May 22, 2020
I did a bunch of work to my lmm in the spring. Trans refreshed with goerend R, 200 overs, dual fuelers and a couple other odds and ends. I started a motor build and life has got in the way. Want to make the truck more of a DD then a weekend warrior. Won't tow with it at all. Thinking about dropping the dual fuelers and run the single 10mm in the valley, also drop back down to the 100 over injectors. I can't figure out what to do for a turbo setup. Currently has 68vgt/s480 twins. I like them but I like the simplicity of a single. Would you keep the twins, run the 68vgt as a single, or run a fixed s300 or s400? I want to stick with the same converter
I'm not sure which 68 you have, if it's a box 4094 I probably wouldn't be happy with one as a single. But my vote is single vgt, single 10mm cp3, and the 100 overs, you should be able to top 700 no problem and be fun and clean.
I run a 68 with 45% and had a 10mm 750/1450, changed to a 12mm 750/1537. I also run a K convertor from the R. It's a blast as a single turbo truck.
I've as always wanted to compound over the 68.
I would run what you've got n call it good. And have Mark tune it.
Good luck w your decision!
Nice set-up. I'm similar but with a 65 and sportsman cp3 and I'm 675/1250 on stock motor.
Never cared to run compounds though with how fast the 65 spools and then with all the extra piping and stuff, not a fan of the sound either.
I agree, make use of the parts you got. And nobody would tune my truck with a vgt except Mark period.

Bdsankey

Vendor
Vendor/Sponsor
Feb 1, 2018
Neenah, Wisconsin
Thanks for the replies guys. I was making my decision off my daily. It's a 66, 60 overs, stock cp3 and Its a blast to drive. I figure it's somewhere from 550-600hp. If I do the 68, 100 overs, 10mm pump it should almost drive close but make roughly 100hp more and be dependable and reliable. Am I way off here? I thought about keeping the 200 but they are more smokey then I would like for a DD

I personally think the 200s are a better choice, especially on the crack prone 06-10 pistons and stock rods. You'll want all the help you can get.

Reducing the pulse/timing are HUGE in regards to engine life (especially a stock bottom end at ~700whp), how do you think all the other guys keep their stock motors alive for so long?

Daddy Deezldoo

'06 LBZ CC/SB 2WD, MB Tuned
Aug 5, 2022
Thumb Area
Awesome. I thought about selling everything and throwing a 72mm in the valley as a single also. For now I'll prob stick with the 68 and it's easy enough to change down the road. I'll let you know on the kit. I'm going to pull everything off first and list it all for sale.
I have cash for that compound kit if you have it.