Change all fluids

Magnus

Jun 22, 2013
Well, aren't you just a wealth of useful knowledge! Thanks. :thumb:

Hey Mitch this is a little off topic, but how's that K30 conversion going? I've got a CUCV waiting to be turned into a mean looking drag truck when I find a cheap enough donor, but I haven't really looked into the swap much at all. Is a dmax K30 easy enough to be worth it over a 6BT swap?

SmokeShow

Nov 30, 2006
Lawrenceburg, KY
A little off topic? :spit: Yeah, I'd say you jumped ship on that one. :rofl:

It's not coming along at all, sadly. :eek: If you'll get a good harness from someone or have the ability to pair one down yourself and have a little fab skill (engine mounts and fitting intercooler in the front stack) then it's not likely much more difficult than a cummins conversion because the V8 fits nicer front-to-back than the ol' inline 6 cummins. It'd be even easier if you lose the Allison. Otherwise the easiest way to incorporate it is with the dmax-based steering wheel et al. I can't find anything about the clocking spacing in a dmax column so I have no idea if an old square-body auto column could be made to work or not. Only other thing that'd have to fitted to the old is scoot the trans support back (and maybe spacer but not sure because I haven't made it that far but the mount is shaped the same) and either put the TPS on the old throttle pedal or mount the new pedal in there. I'm leaning towards the later.

And for mine, as of now, I still plan to do a body swap rather than an in-chassis powertrain conversion. That however would NOT be the ideal thing to do for a racing setup IMO. Modern frames and gear are far too heavy.

Magnus

Jun 22, 2013
I'll probably do a medium single with water/air setup and nitrous and move a lot of crap into the bed to allow space around the engine for maintenance and better weight distribution.

I was doing the math on your weight point... I'll stick with the K30 frame and convert the 14 bolt to disks for well under 6000lbs without even cutting weight. Plus keeping the solid axles front and rear really simplifies maintenance when you start doing some serious 4WD launches and breaking everything.

Sorry for the total derail... Everyone go back to bickering over oil brands.

Fiissel

May 4, 2014
Hay guys new to the forum bin on a lot of forums to find out the search sucks on these I'm curious to see what u guys think about oil in the transfer case how much? And what kind? Hearing lots about adding a extra quart hear lots about putting 5-30 in no burn off that way I really don't no what to believe the sterlershipdont know nothing thanks for any help

btfarm

you know
Nov 25, 2010
Sandwich, Illinois
Hay guys new to the forum bin on a lot of forums to find out the search sucks on these I'm curious to see what u guys think about oil in the transfer case how much? And what kind? Hearing lots about adding a extra quart hear lots about putting 5-30 in no burn off that way I really don't no what to believe the sterlershipdont know nothing thanks for any help
Mobil1 5w30 3 qts through the speed sensor at the top and change around every 50-75k. Been doing that since about 60k and have no sign of rub through since new. Obviously in my location I'm no stranger to running in 4x4