Casper

jlawles2

Jan 28, 2010
Danbury, TX
Ganging up on me Anthony?:(

Don't know if they are ganging up on you, but I can only guess at 200+ transmissions per year for 10+ years its hard to remember what clutches and other "MIKE MAGIC' you put in every transmission. Back in the earlier days of performance allison clutches, you probably put so many different types in to test them it would not surprise me if someone would find a different type/brand/friction material in every clutch pack of one you built. Whatever it takes to make them hold up, you have one of the best combinations. Love my built allison in the 04 LLY and my nephew loves the build trans in his dodge that you did for him. Keep up the beyond excellent work.

duramaxnate

Professional Amateur
Feb 18, 2014
Norco, CA
www.mcfooracing.com
Gave Casper some love before NHRDA next week. Added the La-Z-Boy for the nitrous bottle, no plumbing yet, I have to get longer bolts for the front of the mount since where I put it there happens to be a bed cross member where the holes are drilled for it, but no biggie. Took the batteries out of the bed and moved one in the normal reroute (under the passenger door) and one back in the driver side tray. He is much happier that way. (he talks to me like all my vehicles do lol). Casper has an isspro datalogger in the front seat area already hooked up to a lot of things. Going to get that to work maybe this weekend if I have time. Getting detailed before we go so he looks nice and shiny. Not much left to do before we test hopefully this week. We will see what happens. I have to do an engine and trans replacement on a Kodiak this week but I want my track time!! lol "work first then we go play with our toys"

c62f72b41d60a0baa64f87d359060895.jpg

d799413736ee5a4b243fe5ee3473728f.jpg

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

duramaxnate

Professional Amateur
Feb 18, 2014
Norco, CA
www.mcfooracing.com
Whoa....thats kinda impressive, Nate. So what's the story on that?

The tank on the side of the radiator blew off from looks like it getting eaten away at the bottom. BUT I didn't put my t stat delete washers in before I left like I was going to, but the piece I pulled off was pretty brittle so I don't think that would have helped prevent this. Nothing major broke so I am not mad, stuff happens. Putting in my home made washers in when I put a new rad in, I know that excess coolant pressure didn't help either, lost the upper hose the pass before. But easy stuff. Still had a blast with everyone up here.

Dozerboy

Jun 23, 2009
TX of course
Tstat delete washers? What do you get excessive pressure in radiator when you delete the T-Stat if you don’t restrict the flow?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

duramaxnate

Professional Amateur
Feb 18, 2014
Norco, CA
www.mcfooracing.com
Got the radiator and intake replaced finally. Just need to shorten the ducting a tad and it's good.

Fixed some wiring issues he had, he always hated to start with the Bonneville battery cable configuration, never new why. Did some poking around and where the block ground was mounted to the frame, it wasn't making a great connection. Re routed the block ground back to the driver side ground terminal and made a huge difference. Now I'm going to be ordering all new oem battery cables from gm and put it back to the stock configuration.

Still got more minor things I want to change. But that's later down the road.
Possibly pulling the engine out around the end of the year to reseal the top end, replace all the radiator hoses and re do some stuff that will be easier with the motor out. Start permanently mounting stuff where I want it. Right now it's been just lay it here for now.. . At some point the Bonneville turbo setup will go back on with either 100s or 250s, probably 100s to drive easier. But I want to copy Dan @ppes standard cabs setup and see if I can beat him .

Going to make it start with the key instead of the additional switch. But putting a very well hidden kill switch. Gonna be putting some of the interior pieces back in to clean it up a bit (not worried too much about weight).

Still keeping it retro (easy for me to work on) then I'll make him comfortable to drive in the winter, like change the Bonneville seat out, I look funky siting in it.. Lol. At which time Betty's coming in and getting her motor yanked and getting a bunch more stuff fixed.
Then start hitting the track more often. Now that my work schedule is easier not being full time mechanic anymore.

Comparison startup videos

Bonneville configuration
https://youtu.be/AnkGzP92TMg

Oem configuration removed battery kill switch from equation
https://youtu.be/IHJpHo69m2I

18133997787c3cc09c8af2897ac9d703.jpg
d0bf49f6c367b23220f6711aed068491.jpg

Sent from my XT1650 using Tapatalk

duramaxnate

Professional Amateur
Feb 18, 2014
Norco, CA
www.mcfooracing.com
Wow huge difference in cranking speed, nice.
Right? I'm happy. I can drive him on the street and be worried about it not starting. But good news is all glow plugs work.. . With the Bonneville setup casper would kill batteries like it was going out of style. By moving the driver side block ground to the driver battery, both batteries stay up and don't need a trickle charger. I still put him on one that I built into the truck.

TheBac

Why do I keep doing this?
Staff member
Apr 19, 2008
Mid Michigan
You are running very low pressure in those radials, arent you? Not sure thats such a good idea.
Good luck. Be safe. Have fun. :)

duramaxnate

Professional Amateur
Feb 18, 2014
Norco, CA
www.mcfooracing.com
They do look low but I run them at 22ish. Tracks getting busy so there's good competition here. Can't really tune it as my laptop gave up the ghost at the track.

I'm having fun, a hell cat almost ate the wall but that's the most action so far.
You are running very low pressure in those radials, arent you? Not sure thats such a good idea.
Good luck. Be safe. Have fun. :)