can't decide on turbocharger for build

pharoah95

Apr 30, 2014
alberta, Canada
alright so i've been upgrading my truck its my DD and i use it to tow, the turbos i've been looking at are the stealth 64, and been told about the bd supermax and i've heard about some other options, my goals are the truck that its currently going in i'm only looking to get around 5-600 hp and maybe get over 1000ftlbs but i have another engine i'm building up to swap into it that i want to get atleast 800 out of maybe reach 1000hp and still be able to daily driver and tow with it, so i would like to use the turbo i get for the first engine to be able to swap over and be the valley turbo and i would still like quick spool up being fairly important, the silver bullet 66m seems tempting to anyone have experience with any of these turbos

Last edited:

TheBac

Why do I keep doing this?
Staff member
Apr 19, 2008
Mid Michigan
Moved to Turbo Talk section. Id give Mark at Danville a call and ask his opinion.

dordtrecht5

Regular Cabs Rock
Jul 21, 2009
Wherever I am working
Compound it with an S475. Or...have your turbo worked by Russ (yellowchevy). He's a vendor here.

Later if you want to go big and get more power in a build, go with an S362 (or up to a 64) high pressure and a 480ish atmo.

These setups have been reliable platforms for quite a while now. Two of the things that you'll run into with a single is drive pressure and egts, especially if you pull in the hills.

I'm in the process of working through my build with the same max effort power goals as yourself. One of the things I've learned over the years Is "go with a proven Platform" unless you have bottomless pockets and a money tree. Builders know what they are talking about because they have seen most everything that's a failure and a proven system.

I'm going to go with a 362sxe or so (maybe up to a 64) and an 478, or up to an 83. Probably a little more cam and heads to get to 850 max effort, but be a very reliable towing truck in the 550 range. I haven't decided what make of turbos to go with yet, but you'll find the BW turbos are less expensive and more readily available. Garretts are proven, but you pay more for the technology and name.

Sent from my SM-N910V using Tapatalk

dordtrecht5

Regular Cabs Rock
Jul 21, 2009
Wherever I am working
I will not consider a Silver Bullet 66 as a high pressure turbo. FWIW

Adtermarket Up pipes on a stock or modified stock turbo would decrease drive pressure with good tuning and you'd get close to your immediate goal of 600. You could then go with a 478 with more fuel to get close to 800later.

I've seen this set up and it made 794 at the wheels.

pharoah95

Apr 30, 2014
alberta, Canada
nope its for a 2003 chevy 2500HD and i have done quite a bit of research for the big engine build currently have another 2003 lb7 i`m taking apart for that but am trying to save a little money on parts that will crossover to the other engine. the one big thing i`m having problems with is the turbos, and you would`t go with the silver bullet as the high pressure? why is that? and yea i've been seeing the yellowchevy guy alot on these forums alot of people seem to suggest him, so would you think the stealth 64 or modified stock?

DangerousDuramax

Nov 3, 2006
Houston, Tx
Go with a S480 BatMo or S488SX-E over stock which will take care of all your power and EGT needs now and give you plenty of room to upgrade the valley charger later for the 1000+hp build.

Chad006

Drag racer wannabe
Feb 12, 2015
Goodlow, B.C.
If it were me I would do a 480 over the stocker, then when you get engine built throw a bigger high pressure charger over it.

pharoah95

Apr 30, 2014
alberta, Canada
well i got a stock turbo right now with a big head wastegate and the ppe boost valve, it seems like alot of people are saying to twin it would it have alot of lag with the stock turbo or should it be fine for towing

DangerousDuramax

Nov 3, 2006
Houston, Tx
well i got a stock turbo right now with a big head wastegate and the ppe boost valve, it seems like alot of people are saying to twin it would it have alot of lag with the stock turbo or should it be fine for towing

Plenty of combinations that will let a twin setup spool close to stock. If you're towing the twins really shine because they drop your EGT's. If you plan to make 1000+hp you will have to have twins anyway.

Awenta

Sep 28, 2014
CT
Nothing will spool as fast as the stock turbo. Twins will take advantage of that. A stealth 64 or Danville 2.5 state 2 would be great too.

HTT made a nice drop in turbo too

I just realized why you asked that. ;) Tom this thread is in the wrong place.

It was throwing me off some

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Awenta

Sep 28, 2014
CT
Also a 64 in the valley is capable of making over 1000rwhp when twinned

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

roxyfever

Feb 11, 2016
terrell tx
Stealth 64 with a s488sxe with enough fuel makes 1000hp. Duramaxtuner has this in a burb. With a 14mm cp3 and 150 overs. Very streetable

dordtrecht5

Regular Cabs Rock
Jul 21, 2009
Wherever I am working
My opinion: I would do Russ's 63.5 modded IHI before a Stealth 64. The Stealth, IIRC is a 63.5 anyway. Plus, Russ will port and polish and (I think) you can select the wheel you'd prefer. I'd go with Wetzel. And, the Danville 2.5 is also a 63.5mm.

dordtrecht5

Regular Cabs Rock
Jul 21, 2009
Wherever I am working
The Fleece IHI 63 is another option. Its machined for an S300 cartridge. Not sure if Danville's 2.5 is an S300 cartridge, but the others are a stock IHI cartridge and turbine.

BlkMax

Sep 1, 2008
Wasilla, AK
I like the s366 as a primary. I have a gated HTT T3 S366 with a SS hot side, and an ungated S366 T4 on 2 different LB7's. The gated one is tripled on BlkMax.... bent rods and all. I have the ungated on Emma, and like how it works.

If $$ is your main issue, I would go with a T4 S366 74, 0.91 and get a gated pedestal with a block off plate until you want more HP.

I cannot speak to the SX-E's, never had one, but they sound cool...:thumb:

For me, I had to go to something else besides stock at the time because I had smoked my IHI.