Can you guess what this is going to be??

RickDLance

Feb 14, 2007
I thought I would try and lighten up things around here. I tend to build rather than buy. I designed and built my own home with some help from employees and friends. Most of what I paid to have done left a bad taste in my mouth. I tell people I can't tell you who to hire to help you build your house but I can definitely tell you who not to.

Anyway....This is something I've been playing with for a couple of years and this winter with the election slowing things down a little and a good group of employees it gave me time to hammer out the design.

Bear in mind I have never even seen one of these up close in person. Can anyone tell me specifically what I'm building?

Last edited:

RickDLance

Feb 14, 2007
Bingo!! I was hoping this would last longer. Here's a picture with one of the side rails sitting on it.

Last edited:

RickDLance

Feb 14, 2007
I'm trying to make mine sturdy and light. We'll see how that works out.

Shooting for less than a 6 degree load angle.

zf>allison

you never had your car.
Apr 30, 2013
elsberry mo
I knew trailer for sure, build them everyday. Tilts can be tricky. Alot of ours have cushion hydraulics to slow the tilt and need some tail weight to get things moving most of the time.

RickDLance

Feb 14, 2007
I like the idea of the new air bag trailers, but just couldn't see how you would open the door on the car after loading. With the style I am building the axles are completely out of the way.

six5creed

Jan 6, 2016
N.C.
How the hell did you know that? :rofl: Damn man!
I didn't know, I studied those pictures and knew it was something that moved because of the rollers. I didn't think it had anything to do with a boat since the rollers were out towards the axles so I guessed what I guessed :)

RickDLance

Feb 14, 2007
They're the real heavy channel. I was going to go with rectangular tubing but I thought a way to "lock" the axles on to the channel would be easier. That way the axle "sub-frame" won't come off when you jack up the trailer. At least not without removing some safety brackets.

Hoser

Jun 19, 2016
Farmington, MN
How do you plan on handling the wiring harness going to the axles for brakes and clearance lights (assuming it will have electric brakes)?

RickDLance

Feb 14, 2007
Yes it will. My thoughts are to suspend a small piece of tubing the length of the axle travel to the bottom of the frame. I would have a larger tube on it allowing it to slide as needed. The wire would be fastened to that. Pretty primitive but seems the simplest.