Can a Fixed Single be Fun and Clean on the street?

FSUwelder1212

Oct 18, 2012
Hey everyone, I have a 2013 LML and am at the point with it where its time to look at turbos to take it any further. I have bugged Jason Wehrli likely to the point of insanity about different options but am curious to hear from some guys on the tuning side. I am looking to have a fun street truck in the 600-650 hp range. I am looking for something with crazy low end response and smokeless ( I know they will all smoke a little at WOT until the turbo catches up) since this is my daily. I know a Twin or VGT set up are likely the best options, and Mark has some stuff coming out for the LMLs now. But I don't really want the added complexity and potential issues of a twin set up and I really hate the way VGT chargers sound. So I have been looking at either the S364.5sxe or S366sxe chargers with a pretty tight .83 AR T4 divided turbine housing. My question is, is it realistic that either of these turbos could be tuned reasonably smokeless while still retaining great low end response and being fun on the street? Any insight anyone has will be greatly appreciated!

diesel-max

Haisley Never heard of her
Oct 20, 2011
IN
465/83/.90

fast spool on the lml with 650hp worth of air. Can be tuned clean easily and you have the durability of a s400, not a small s300 being pushed in it's power capability range.

kiwilml

Nov 4, 2015
Yup, I had been running a 468 single and I just picked up a 463 from a member on here a little while ago to try out and so far I've been really impressed with how it spools.. I switched tuning also and it's not near as smokey as before (still trying to work out a couple little kinks with my cp3 pressure though)..

But like you know, it won't spool like a compound setup with a stock turbo will of course..

DangerousDuramax

Nov 3, 2006
Houston, Tx
Hey everyone, I have a 2013 LML and am at the point with it where its time to look at turbos to take it any further. I have bugged Jason Wehrli likely to the point of insanity about different options but am curious to hear from some guys on the tuning side. I am looking to have a fun street truck in the 600-650 hp range. I am looking for something with crazy low end response and smokeless ( I know they will all smoke a little at WOT until the turbo catches up) since this is my daily. I know a Twin or VGT set up are likely the best options, and Mark has some stuff coming out for the LMLs now. But I don't really want the added complexity and potential issues of a twin set up and I really hate the way VGT chargers sound. So I have been looking at either the S364.5sxe or S366sxe chargers with a pretty tight .83 AR T4 divided turbine housing. My question is, is it realistic that either of these turbos could be tuned reasonably smokeless while still retaining great low end response and being fun on the street? Any insight anyone has will be greatly appreciated!

There's no complexity or issues with twins. From what you described you're looking for its actually the way you should go or with a bigger VGT. Like everyone has already said...what you're asking for really isn't feasible. You're going to loose the bottom end and the bigger the turbo the slower the spool and lag. On top of it you want no smoke so its going to be even worse. Smokeless tune and good low end response don't go hand-in-hand unless you're shooting some nitrous. Plenty of big singles out there that will spool fairly quick and be "fun on the street" but smokeless and good low end response they will not have. If you're dead set on a single the S369SX-E is another good one to consider but with what you're wanting a VGT is your best option.

Last edited:

Antsdmax

Ameture Guy
Jan 21, 2016
Shame you don't like the VGT. Mark's 68mm stage 2r is a sweet sweet charger.

Im.pulling off the s369sxe and fitting marks 68mm stg2r on my built engine setup in my sig. For what i do the s369 is no good to sluggish down low and towing

Antsdmax

Ameture Guy
Jan 21, 2016
I know iv been told that by my tuner aswell :eek: but simple fact is its easier for me to change the turbo

FSUwelder1212

Oct 18, 2012
Thank you all. Like I said, I know VGT or twins are likely the best option for me, I just prefer the sound of a fixed charger. I see guys all the time on here that talk about how their s472 "spools just like stock" and are basically smokeless. I kind of figured it was mostly BS but was wondering if I was missing something and could have my cake and eat it too so to speak. I am currently planning on built trans w/ goerend R and getting the truck live tuned in the spring. Then I will go from there on figuring out if I really need more. Realistically, I just want a fun DD street truck and don't really care about top end numbers, the 600-650 hp goal would be just for bragging rights, so maybe I can get what I want out of the stock charger and just forget about bragging rights and dyno racing.

Kiwi, talk to Mark if you want to go back to VGT, he has some options for the LML now.

Dirtymaxx03

Aug 4, 2009
The single s472 i ran for a long time was a blast. Even with stock injectors and a stock cp3. Plus, large singles may save your bottom end compared to equal power from a compound setup.

Michigan_LMM

Nov 10, 2016
Mid Michigan
Im running a s468/83 1.0 a/r with a cast wheel from Danville with stock fuel on my LMM. On my lower tunes it still spools great and does not smoke much. Mine is tuned by PPEI, with good tuning/trans tuning I wouldnt hesitate to go with a smaller fixed vein on your LML.

kiwilml

Nov 4, 2015
Call mark, he has some options.
I hear you sounds good but I don't reckon I'll go back anymore.. If I do anything more it'll be bigger injectors and adding a 480 or something like that..

But I will say if I was to do it over again right now with the more options available, I'd go with a bigger vgt.. I think anyway lol.. I do love the sound of the single fixed vane.