Cam timing?

Racer

Racer
Feb 16, 2014
Charlotte NC
Assuming the stock GM cam install is at 106° CL has anyone measured lift at TDC and valve to piston clearance? (Intake and exhaust)

Fahlin Racing

Aug 22, 2012
NE Ohio
Put clay on your piston crown with some non sticky spray on the valves and rotate the engine through a couple cycles of induction and exhaust. Take your dial caliper and use the depth gauge after you cut away half of the clay to show what you are measuring. Get a nice degree wheel too and you can watch your lift by crankshaft degree of rotation.

PureHybrid

Isuzu Shakes IT
Feb 15, 2012
Central OH
A set of checker springs and a dial indicator work wonders also. I'm sure lots of people measure factory valve to piston clearance, but it sounds as though you want to know what the specs are ahead of time?

Racer

Racer
Feb 16, 2014
Charlotte NC
PureHybrid you are correct, I have measured a stock cam and have a program that will tell me lift at TDC and I wanted to check if calculated and measured are the same. Also I notice that when some of the members purchase after market cams they have to cut deeper pockets. This makes no sense to me because especially if they have increased boost they would want less overlap. Overlap is a tool NA engines use to help the gas exchange at lower speeds. forced induction does this for you, perhaps there is some tuning advantage I do not understand. Thanks