Cab Isolators

Jake707

Mar 30, 2020
Ok. Thanks. I’ll look around for stock replacements

Last edited by a moderator:

torqued2dmax

Mar 26, 2017
Brookville, PA
707 I just noticed you asked about installation of the sulastics , no the bed was not removed but the top bolts took some persuasion . We did it on a lift with tall adjustable jacks , be careful work safe !

Jake707

Mar 30, 2020
I’m not sure what pressure I’m at I’ll have to go out and look.

Here’s a dumb question I thought about last night. Truck came with helper air bags but not onboard compressor so I have to fill them with valves in each rear wheel well. I’m positive they are empty now and remember the guy telling me he tried to keep them around 10 psi.
Would that be affecting my ride quality or is it mainly only for towing?

Chevy1925

don't know sh!t about IFS
Staff member
Oct 21, 2009
Phoenix Az
I’m not sure what pressure I’m at I’ll have to go out and look.

Here’s a dumb question I thought about last night. Truck came with helper air bags but not onboard compressor so I have to fill them with valves in each rear wheel well. I’m positive they are empty now and remember the guy telling me he tried to keep them around 10 psi.
Would that be affecting my ride quality or is it mainly only for towing?

yes it would. remove them and see how it rides. should help some

Jake707

Mar 30, 2020
Ok thanks. Don’t know much about this air bag add ons. Looking to see if there is anyone around that does the re arching and what that would cost vs new springs. Springs themselves aren’t too bad but shipping almost doubles the price.

Jake707

Mar 30, 2020
Looks like a local shop could re arch the springs for $350, with new bushings and paint but a 3 day turnaround so the truck would be on stands awhile. That’s about the same price as two new ones minus the shipping which is averaging another $150.

If it’s the same either way I think I might shell out for the re arch and the sulastic shackles. If I can swing it money wise saves me time later doing them together.

My shocks I found out are Full Throttle Suspension brand shocks with a model number on the fronts of 126000SL, not sure on model number on the rears, if anyone knows about them? Was originally looking at the bilestein 5100s to smooth them out too but that’s easy to do later on if these shocks are stiff once everything else is corrected.

Tire pressures are 58-60 psi all around.

Also I’m wondering if I’m feeling this more now due to I removed and sold my Patriot 5th wheel hitch assembly last week and in one video saw a guy who rides around with two 50 lb sand bags behind his tail gate to help load the springs a bit. My hitch was probably doing the same so now that it’s gone I’m getting the full bounce of a 3/4 ton truck plus sagging leaf springs.

torqued2dmax

Mar 26, 2017
Brookville, PA
What makes you feel your springs are bad , how dose the truck set with the air bags removed ? Since you do not tow check with tire shop on your tires to see the lowest air pressure you can safely run and do that first ! Sulastics make a banging noise on real rough roads on bumps greater than about 3 in when they reach there travel limits , I just want you to be aware they are not a cure all ! Good shocks , alignment and reduced tire pressure might make you happy .

Bdsankey

Vendor
Vendor/Sponsor
Feb 1, 2018
Neenah, Wisconsin
What makes you feel your springs are bad , how dose the truck set with the air bags removed ? Since you do not tow check with tire shop on your tires to see the lowest air pressure you can safely run and do that first ! Sulastics make a banging noise on real rough roads on bumps greater than about 3 in when they reach there travel limits , I just want you to be aware they are not a cure all ! Good shocks , alignment and reduced tire pressure might make you happy .

His springs are worn/sagged based upon the measurement of the gap he took from the overload leaf to the rest of the pack. His spring pack is sitting physically lower and doesn't take much movement for them to engage the overload leaf. On a spring pack in good health, there is a much larger gap that allows the spring to flex the much more compliant leafs as opposed to the heavy/very stiff overload.

Chevy1925

don't know sh!t about IFS
Staff member
Oct 21, 2009
Phoenix Az
no one realizes how bad the rear springs get because its a gradual over time occurrence. the leafs on a 01-2020 2500hd are virtually unchanged in their overall design for ride height and overload clearance. 2011 they switched to a higher capacity leaf pack, made the change again in 2020 but the concept of having a linear spring rate as the suspension collapes onto the overload is still there and you MUST have decent clearance above the overload for it to actually work right and ride nice. its all designed together.

N2BRK

Dec 31, 2009
as mine are getting older, and rougher and rougher, I find myself thinking about "someday" seeing if I can get a lift spring from Deaver and mounting it under the axle to retain stock height :)

Jake707

Mar 30, 2020
Well I ordered the sulastic shackles and set up an appointment to bring my springs in to have them rebuilt. Then shit happens like it tends to do haha so shelling out $800+ for the two would hurt more than its worth right now. But it was too later to cancel the shackles order but I could return them once delivered for 20% restocking fee. So I’m thinking split the difference for now and running the shackles when they come in then in a month or two rebuilding the springs. Not ideal but it is what it is haha

Jake707

Mar 30, 2020
Update. I have the shackles but haven’t installed them yet. I also found a pair of springs off a low miles truck for $50. Guy took them off to run the 4” lift springs instead of lifter blocks. These look pretty good, at least better than mine haha and the overload spring gap measures 3” ( unloaded so it will probably drop some) compare that to mine at 3/4”. I figured I have to take the rear mounts out for the shackles so removing the fronts isn’t much more and at $50 it seems worth the risk of these are in much better shape than mine.

So I scrubbed them down with some purple power then went back over them with brake clean and used the compressor to blow dry them off. I was thinking I would paint them with some POR-15 I have before installing to make them look even better. Helll they even still have the original overload bump stops on and I have a set of those doughnut types sitting here so not sure if I’ll put them on or keep these.

Anything jumping out at you more experienced folks haha. While it wouldn’t be the first time, I try not to put lipstick on pigs when I can avoid it.

Jake707

Mar 30, 2020
Pics

Attachments

• B5C483D9-0E8C-465F-BE8F-3B63488A6547.jpg
    B5C483D9-0E8C-465F-BE8F-3B63488A6547.jpg
    92.1 KB · Views: 35
  • 0F6E462D-7ACA-4398-8AB2-71CC0663C004.jpg
    0F6E462D-7ACA-4398-8AB2-71CC0663C004.jpg
    91.6 KB · Views: 34
  • 2669A270-8FB5-4F58-94AD-11DE80FB25F9.jpg
    2669A270-8FB5-4F58-94AD-11DE80FB25F9.jpg
    91.2 KB · Views: 34
  • 5E747FEB-BCA7-447A-ADC2-11ED71D0DB06.jpg
    5E747FEB-BCA7-447A-ADC2-11ED71D0DB06.jpg
    92.3 KB · Views: 34

PureHybrid

Isuzu Shakes IT
Feb 15, 2012
Central OH
If you want to Por-15 the springs you'll need to pull them apart. Otherwise it'll peel on the edges where you can't get to. And use their cleaner / metal prep