LML c tane rating

swaggerstick

Aug 10, 2014
Indana
Is there a way to tell at the pump what that particular Brand of fuel's c tane rating? Like gasoline is 87 octane for example.

mike diesel

I'm alright.
Sep 6, 2012
SLC, Utah
Not usually.

Just so everyone knows, cetane is the exact opposite of octane. The higher the octane, the harder it is to ignite (hence why high compression gas motors need high octane..to prevent detonation). The higher the cetane rating, the easier diesel fuel is to ignite. High cetane rating is great for winter fuel.

swaggerstick

Aug 10, 2014
Indana
In my reading about it. I think most are 40-55. If I remember what I read, California has a minimum of 53. The article said the higher the C-Tane rating, the better the Diesel performs. But I think that Bio-Diesel will have a higher c-tane rating. Correct me if I am wrong. Thanks

Last edited:

PureHybrid

Isuzu Shakes IT
Feb 15, 2012
Central OH
Biodiesel does have higher cetane, but not much. Higher cetane will help to an extent, but when cruising at low rpm a lower cetane can help fuel mileage.

Never heard about a minimum in CA???

x MadMAX DIESEL

<<<< No Horsepower
Dec 30, 2008
Lexington, Ky
You won't get a cetane higher then about 70 no matter what you mix up. And that is hard to get to. I wouldn't get caught up on it atall, you'll spend alot of money and find little gaibs

OregonDMAX

NOT IN OREGON, NO DURAMAX
Apr 28, 2013
Goodyear, AZ
Sometimes you have no choice, in my state every single brand of diesel comes from the exact same refinery. Either way its not worth worrying about.

swaggerstick

Aug 10, 2014
Indana
I really wasn't worried as much as I was curious. Logic tells me that if a company has to refine or put in additives to attain a higher c tane rating, then the cost of doing either/or would be less for a lower c tane rating, thereby allowing the Gasoline companies a larger profit if they just met the minimum. Just my thoughts.