Buying Used V2

dieselman4224

Jul 7, 2011
NoVA
I’ve got a line on a used Flashscan V2. It seems to be in the original box and has several cords. Other than registration card what else should I look for? Any way to test it prior to purchase? Thanks in advance.

1FastBrick

Dec 1, 2016
Junkyard
Yes, You can test it. See if it will read on any GM vehicle. If it will read, usually it will flash. Its free to read and you don't need to license the file.

As for the unit itself. Does it come with any available license's?
Do you know how many licenses were used on it?

dieselman4224

Jul 7, 2011
NoVA
The guy doesn’t know anything about it. Says the previous owner of his 08 used it. He’s since sold that truck and doesn’t want it. I know they have a limit of 221 or something like that. Anyway to check available spaces left?

And by read can I just use the scan dtc function? Or actually read the ecm on my truck?

1FastBrick

Dec 1, 2016
Junkyard
The guy doesn’t know anything about it. Says the previous owner of his 08 used it. He’s since sold that truck and doesn’t want it. I know they have a limit of 221 or something like that. Anyway to check available spaces left?

And by read can I just use the scan dtc function? Or actually read the ecm on my truck?

Yes you can check on the unit itself it will show what was used and what's available. I forget the exact screen's

By read I ment to read the ECM like on your truck.

Is it a black or a blue unit?

dieselman4224

Jul 7, 2011
NoVA
Oh I see. To sum up, assuming there’s at least one slot left and it will read my ecm, I’ll just have to grab a vin license off the website to start tuning correct? Also is the original registration card necessary (not sure if he has it). With the big tuners seemingly dropping like flies I fighter this is my best long term plan to accommodate future fueling and air upgrades.

1FastBrick

Dec 1, 2016
Junkyard
Oh I see. To sum up, assuming there’s at least one slot left and it will read my ecm, I’ll just have to grab a vin license off the website to start tuning correct? Also is the original registration card necessary (not sure if he has it). With the big tuners seemingly dropping like flies I fighter this is my best long term plan to accommodate future fueling and air upgrades.

You don't need a slot to read. only to flash it after making changes. :thumb:

See if this link opens up for you. it's from there knowledge base.
https://support.efilive.com/kb_cat.php?id=3&t=qanda#9817-YALX-6546

IMO it's always nice to have a V2 should you require changes that you can make on your own. in the diesel comunity, it seems alot of people lock there tunes to protect there intellectual property. some have developed access to additional tables and they don't want others to discover what they worked hard to achieve.

You don't need the card but you do need the info from the card . There is a serial number and an authorisation number I believe it is that you use to register it on the software in order to be able to read, modify, and purchase license for the unit.

It probably has 1 license left on it. Just wasn't sure where it came from or if it was used on multiple vehicles.

To me that adds value, also if it has the Dodge unlocked. Because the more that are used, they can be cashed in toward Streams on the older controllers.

dieselman4224

Jul 7, 2011
NoVA
Awesome. Thanks for the link. I was looking through their site earlier but was having some functionality issues with it. Prob just my phone. Really appreciate the help and quick responses.

Looks like the serial number and authorization code can be read via the scan and tune program. So hopefully if he doesn’t have the card I can still make it work. Thanks again!

1FastBrick

Dec 1, 2016
Junkyard
Awesome. Thanks for the link. I was looking through their site earlier but was having some functionality issues with it. Prob just my phone. Really appreciate the help and quick responses.

Looks like the serial number and authorization code can be read via the scan and tune program. So hopefully if he doesn’t have the card I can still make it work. Thanks again!

It usually can but even then the EFI team will help if it cant be seen and you need help to purchase a license. Just be patient as they are in New Zeland

Glad I could help. :thumb:

1FastBrick

Dec 1, 2016
Junkyard
On the V2 unit. Here is how you navigate it with out a computer hooked up to see what it looks like. If you plug in to an OBD port it will power up and you can navigate The V2 like this.

From the main option screen.
F4 Options
F3 About
F2 License Details
F1 Vin Licenses

This will show you a 10 digit Serial number of the controller it flashed and licensed to the unit. Only what was licensed and flashed, Not what was read out.

"Available" under Engine or Transmission means there is an open license slot that you can license a controler too.

Assuming your buying this for a GM and that it came from a GM but you never know and want to make sure you can use it. Follow this path.

From the main option screen.
F4 Options
F3 About
F2 License Details
F3 Tuning License

This will show if it has Either GM Tuning, Cummins Tuning, or Both tuning options "Active"...

Its $450 to add either the Dodge or the GM tuning option Should you want to do that. If it has Both and it's a good deal, Then Score for you!

Hope this helps! :thumb: