Built Transmission Issues

eand28

Jun 7, 2015
I'm about at my whits end with my built trans. Had it built in March of 2022 and ever since I've been chasing a leak from the bellhousing area. Shop that built it had been great about trying to fix it under the warranty but it still leaks. They resealed the whole trans the last time they had the truck and it was fine for a few days and started leaking again. It's just a few drips but it should not leak. Someone on here mentioned that the vent on the case might not be working correctly and I was going to take a look at it.

The transmission is a 5 speed in a 05 LLY with a 60hp tow tune and is good for 750hp per the builder.

This morning I got a gear 2 incorrect ratio code. What are the chances that the c1 clutches are hurt vs it just being a bad solenoid or pressure switch assembly? I was under the impression that the rebuild included all new solenoids and pressure switch but I will check with the builder on Monday.

I would find it hard to believe I hurt the clutches with less than 5k miles on the built transmission with just a 60hp file. I do not beat on the truck or race it at all. The majority of those miles are just back and forth to work.

Trans has Alto/ Raybestos frictions with new steels, custom machined pressure plates, complete overhaul kit, Transgo and Ratiotek hydraulic upgrades, internal harness seal, pressure switch manifold and a Goerend triple disc converter.

Bdsankey

Vendor
Vendor/Sponsor
Feb 1, 2018
Neenah, Wisconsin
Where is it leaking from? That is some pretty important information in order for us to help you. I understand it is the bellhousing area but can you be more specific like is it coming from the front pump seal? Is it coming from one of the bolts holding the bellhousing to the main case?

eand28

Jun 7, 2015
They’ve been building them for at least 8-10 years. Leak is likely from the bolts that hold the housing to the case. The drips show up on the small round access cover
Where is it leaking from? That is some pretty important information in order for us to help you. I understand it is the bellhousing area but can you be more specific like is it coming from the front pump seal? Is it coming from one of the bolts holding the bellhousing to the main case?
Also, how many 5spd Allisons has the shop "built"?

juddski88

Freedom Diesel
Jul 1, 2008
Chesterfield, Mass.
He posted in another couple threads about his trans. I suggested to check the case vent. If he feels uncomfortable prying it out himself he should 100% be taking it back to the builder for them to do it. The areas in which he says it is leaking from are not pressurized by anything other than normal case pressure.

Reactions: eand28 and Bdsankey

Bdsankey

Vendor
Vendor/Sponsor
Feb 1, 2018
Neenah, Wisconsin
He posted in another couple threads about his trans. I suggested to check the case vent. If he feels uncomfortable prying it out himself he should 100% be taking it back to the builder for them to do it. The areas in which he says it is leaking from are not pressurized by anything other than normal case pressure.

10-4, gotta love the joys of having multiple threads for one issue as that certainly makes it hard for anyone to provide good info :(

Reactions: SheeB and eand28

eand28

Jun 7, 2015
10-4, gotta love the joys of having multiple threads for one issue as that certainly makes it hard for anyone to provide good info :(
I thought it was fixed after the last time they had it but apparently not. They’ve changed the pump seal 2-3x and have put new seals on the housing the case bolts.

Is the suggestion to remove the case vent and see if the leak stops? It’s not a severe leak but it will drip to the ground

Bdsankey

Vendor
Vendor/Sponsor
Feb 1, 2018
Neenah, Wisconsin
I thought it was fixed after the last time they had it but apparently not. They’ve changed the pump seal 2-3x and have put new seals on the housing the case bolts.

Is the suggestion to remove the case vent and see if the leak stops? It’s not a severe leak but it will drip to the ground
I mean I can't really recommend anything as this post really doesn't have any information as to where it is leaking from other than "the bellhousing area".

There's a lot of stuff to leak in that area, some passages are under pressure and others are not.

Bdsankey

Vendor
Vendor/Sponsor
Feb 1, 2018
Neenah, Wisconsin
I can tell this is not going anywhere productive.........

Telling us "it's leaking from the bell housing" doesn't give much information to go on. See my questions in my legitimate fist post. Is it leaking from the front pump seal? Is it leaking from one of the bell bolts?

To determine this you will need a camera. I get you want your issue resolved but c'mon buddy you have to give us some information to work with. You cannot spread your information out across multiple threads and expect us to go digging for it.

Reactions: eand28

Bdsankey

Vendor
Vendor/Sponsor
Feb 1, 2018
Neenah, Wisconsin
Why hasn't the shop pulled the transmission and gone back through it to verify it's "built" correctly?

Very valid question. If it isn't leaking upon initial installation I am guessing it's NOT a hard part issue and more of a sealing issue where say the bell housing or main case may be slightly warped or maybe the separator plate that bolts to the stator support may not be perfectly cleaned/may be pitted and is slowly letting fluid pass by the gaskets.

I wonder what color the bell housing gaskets are, some hold better than others.

Reactions: eand28

eand28

Jun 7, 2015
I’ll pull the covers and take a look tonight and update the thread with my findings.

I guess what I’m asking is if there is something internal that could be causing it to push fluid past either the housing bolts or the pump seal. I posted in the other thread someone else started since he was having the same issue I have.

Before the trans was built it didn’t leak a drop.

Brief history of my trans

March 2022 it was built

End of April noticed the drops in the pictures I posted and took truck back to shop where they pulled trans and changed the pump seal and put new seals on the housing to case bolts

Early June noticed drops again and truck went back to the shop again. I believe they changed the pump seal again.

Late/mid July and it went back again and they pulled the trans and resealed the whole thing.

They shop has been great about covering all this under the warranty.

The comment about the vent would possibly make sense if it isn’t working like it should and is causing the case to over-pressurize

Bdsankey

Vendor
Vendor/Sponsor
Feb 1, 2018
Neenah, Wisconsin
I’ll pull the covers and take a look tonight and update the thread with my findings.

I guess what I’m asking is if there is something internal that could be causing it to push fluid past either the housing bolts or the pump seal. I posted in the other thread someone else started since he was having the same issue I have.

Before the trans was built it didn’t leak a drop.

Brief history of my trans

March 2022 it was built

End of April noticed the drops in the pictures I posted and took truck back to shop where they pulled trans and changed the pump seal and put new seals on the housing to case bolts

Early June noticed drops again and truck went back to the shop again. I believe they changed the pump seal again.

Late/mid July and it went back again and they pulled the trans and resealed the whole thing.

They shop has been great about covering all this under the warranty.

The comment about the vent would possibly make sense if it isn’t working like it should and is causing the case to over-pressurize

Step 1: Determine where the leak is coming from. Like said above, a bore scope is 100% going to be needed here and they can be had pretty cheap off Amazon with actually quite good image quality.

Reactions: eand28 and BoiseRob

eand28

Jun 7, 2015
No updates on the leak but changed the fluid in the transfer case on Tuesday and it looked ok. No metal shavings or plastic chunks. I’m leaning towards it maybe being a speed sensor or a solenoid issue but I really am guessing. Will monitor speed sensor readings to narrow it down

Bdsankey

Vendor
Vendor/Sponsor
Feb 1, 2018
Neenah, Wisconsin
No updates on the leak but changed the fluid in the transfer case on Tuesday and it looked ok. No metal shavings or plastic chunks. I’m leaning towards it maybe being a speed sensor or a solenoid issue but I really am guessing. Will monitor speed sensor readings to narrow it down

The transfercase and transmission do not share fluid so I wouldn't expect one to show failure signs of the other UNLESS something catastrophic went down. As long as the transfercase input seal is intact fluid can not go into/out of the transfercase.

eand28

Jun 7, 2015
The transfercase and transmission do not share fluid so I wouldn't expect one to show failure signs of the other UNLESS something catastrophic went down. As long as the transfercase input seal is intact fluid can not go into/out of the transfercase.
I know but I wanted to check the tcase since the transmission builder thinks my p0732 code is due to something in the transfer case.