Built transmission and shift time?

jkholder09

Jan 8, 2012
Maryland
If the tcm is looking at output speed and the tc is not locked and you are pushing the stall higher the engine rpm will be higher than normal for any given output shaft speed. I have dealt with this with 4r100's and 4l80's with the pcs controller.

I am not sure exactly how the tcm in these trucks is calculating stuff and how much consideration is given to engine rpm sent over the can bus.

I think it makes sense though that the tcm is biased to output speed based on known results in higher powered trucks with looser converters.

Does a lockup box help keeps the shifts consistent with the commanded shift points in the calibration?

Mike L.

Got Sheep?
Staff member
Vendor/Sponsor
Aug 12, 2006
Fullerton CA
If the tcm is looking at output speed and the tc is not locked and you are pushing the stall higher the engine rpm will be higher than normal for any given output shaft speed. I have dealt with this with 4r100's and 4l80's with the pcs controller.

I am not sure exactly how the tcm in these trucks is calculating stuff and how much consideration is given to engine rpm sent over the can bus.

I think it makes sense though that the tcm is biased to output speed based on known results in higher powered trucks with looser converters.

Does a lockup box help keeps the shifts consistent with the commanded shift points in the calibration?

You have it all wrong. Get the Allison book on how it operates.
I must say it's been nice not having you here for the last 3 months.

juddski88

Freedom Diesel
Jul 1, 2008
Chesterfield, Mass.
As stated above, there may be a disparity between when the tcm commands a shift at a given mph, and the mph at which the shift is actually occurring. In order to try and see if changing the shift speed (mph) helps your truck, you just have to log vss and commanded and actual gear selection to see if it matches what the values in those tables. If it doesn't, change the values to what you're seeing in the log and log again. If the actual shift mph is closer to what the tcm is commanding then you can guess which direction to go from there.

skintback

Take this one to church
Mar 5, 2007
Florida
Update: i went ahead and pulled the trans out and the c3's are deep fried they were set at .070 and c1's were shedding bad i set them to .090 and they were .153 not burt though everything else looked like new i have about 20k on the build about a year old all raybestos

Any ideas why this happened?

Mike L.

Got Sheep?
Staff member
Vendor/Sponsor
Aug 12, 2006
Fullerton CA
The early Raybestos C1's ( outside tooth only ) shed their lining quickly because they were not compressed at the factory properly IMO. My Raybestos C1's in my LML failed after 1 year ( 5K miles).

skintback

Take this one to church
Mar 5, 2007
Florida
Tim and Mike what do you think did in the c3's the piston is like new and i have no flares or tie ups in the tuning

Mike L.

Got Sheep?
Staff member
Vendor/Sponsor
Aug 12, 2006
Fullerton CA
Tim and Mike what do you think did in the c3's the piston is like new and i have no flares or tie ups in the tuning

If the C1's are not holding in 3rd you will lose the C3's in short time. Which C3 clutches were you using?

skintback

Take this one to church
Mar 5, 2007
Florida
raybestos c3's early ones light tan the c1's were brown new before you put them in oil

Last edited:

skintback

Take this one to church
Mar 5, 2007
Florida
Here is some pictures. The color difference in the c1's EX/IN were like that from new i didn't think anything of it. you can now rub clutch material off the EX spline with your fingers

Attachments

• image (1).jpg
    image (1).jpg
    90.2 KB · Views: 69
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    94 KB · Views: 66
Last edited:

juddski88

Freedom Diesel
Jul 1, 2008
Chesterfield, Mass.
I have only heard of their C1s delaminating in some cases, but luckily haven't had any do it myself. I'll bet if we went back and checked every pack we installed in their first 3yrs of use they would be loose like yours Sonny. Every one I have checked has been. They started shipping the updated pack late summer of last year if I remember right. For your truck, as I recommended before, I would use the Alto carbonite C1s. They are and have been a great clutch IMO

mike diesel

I'm alright.
Sep 6, 2012
SLC, Utah
I have only heard of their C1s delaminating in some cases, but luckily haven't had any do it myself. I'll bet if we went back and checked every pack we installed in their first 3yrs of use they would be loose like yours Sonny. Every one I have checked has been. They started shipping the updated pack late summer of last year if I remember right. For your truck, as I recommended before, I would use the Alto carbonite C1s. They are and have been a great clutch IMO

So my raybestos c1's I bought back in December of 2014 do not suffer from this issue?