Built Motor Questions??

DMAXchris

It’s only temporary!
Apr 28, 2009
Natrona Heights PA
Quick question, has this shop ever built a high performance duramax before?

I really can't think of what gasket set would add up to $600. The only major gaskets on the motor is the head gaskets. Pretty much everything else is Permatex.

DirtyMax97

Jul 2, 2012
I just replaced them 20k miles ago with brand new 45% over injectors I think they should be good

DirtyMax97

Jul 2, 2012
Do you think this would be reliable to daily drive at 700hp range and the big tune occasionally. If not I want this thing to be bulletproof I don't won't to have to take it apart and fix it

ikeG

Oughta Know Better
Apr 19, 2011
Western PA
www.facebook.com
I would do Merchant pushrods over the Hamiltons. We tried Hamiltons, and they would have worked, but were shorter than normal. So you had to run the adjusters way down, which created a weird angle where they contacted them. Cant beat Merchants price on a quality piece.

schulte

Jul 31, 2010
CT
Does the machine shop have a Duramax torque plate to hone the cylinders? Are they align honing the mains?

What are they using for a balancer? I assume the machine shop is keying the crank?

What oil pump is $250? Is it pinned?

Are the heads getting ported at all?

Socal diesel does a complete end to end for $15k or so, including ported heads and some other stuff. I would at least consider that option...

· Your core engine (or we can supply one for an additional charge) is disassembled and thermal cleaned. All components are mag tested (where appropriate) and visually inspected.

· ARP main studs are installed and the main journals are align honed.

· The block is set up in a CNC machining center where the head gasket surfaces are machined parallel to each other and square to the main journals, the cylinders are bored and blue printed for size and location.

· ARP head studs are installed and torque plates are used to simulate the distortion of the block that would normally occur when a cylinder head is torqued in place. This method insures that the finished cylinders will be round and true.

· The front (2) 5mm alignment pins are removed from the crank and slots are machined to accept 5mm alignment keys. This provides substantially more surface area for the oil pump drive and the harmonic damper. The crank, reluctor wheel, harmonic damper and flywheel are installed on the crank and the whole assembly is digitally balanced.

· The engine is assembled, valve covers to oil pan, flywheel to damper, using genuine GM gaskets and seals along with the following new components:

1) SoCal Diesel Cut And Coated Pistons.

2) Carrillo Forged Rods.

3) Mahle High Performance Main, Rod, Cam and Thrust Bearings.

4) ARP Head And Main Studs.

5) SoCal Diesel Stage 1 Cylinder Heads.

6) SoCal Diesel Super Damper.

7) SoCal Diesel Custom Camshaft.

8) New GM Water Pump With Welded Impeller/Gear.

$15,300.00

S Phinney

Aug 15, 2008
Quncy, Fl
Some prices maybe a little high and some may be even low depending on what they run into. The labor and machine work are a little low. Everything considered it is about the going rate turn key. Just make sure to specify items that are important to you like brand name cam spec piston spec erc...