Building a "Local" pull truck

smokinblack

Jun 14, 2010
Hamilton,Ont
Hey guys Im new to pulling, pulled a couple times with my LMM and LLY, got addicted and decided to build a dedicated truck to pull this year In Southern Ontario. I bought a CCSB LB7 for cheap, Ive done a decent amount of work to it so far, just curious if theres any little things I should do to the truck to help me succeed? The class limits a 66mm turbo charger but I want to see how far I can go with stock charger and trans for the first bit. I already have exhaust, intake, have a V2 on its way FASS 150, I have ppe boost valve, gauges, front end is braced and sleeved, have merchant auto suspension stops also. This truck is going to be a dedicated puller for the most part, I also have a 05 LLY that I will be daily driving so I want to push this LB7 to its limits. Just wondering any little things I should be doing? Was thinking of making a 2nd gear launch tune? should I spring clamp as well as traction bars? I am going to be running H2 wheels on 305/65/17 BFG ats also I believe if that's a good choice? I would really appreciate any help I could get as I am a rookie and I know I have to figure out a lot on my own but any insight would be great!

2005LLY

Sep 18, 2011
Steel driveshaft, locker for the front end, weight bracket, I'd do a 2nd gear start and let it shift to 3rd and make sure to run 4Lo. I'd run twin cp3s or a modded pump

smokinblack

Jun 14, 2010
Hamilton,Ont
forgot to mention we aren't aloud to hang weight or dual cp3s. It would be a novel if I were to tell you guys all the rules we have for a stinkin local class though haha.

95 z71

SUDDEN IMPACT
Aug 11, 2009
Cavan, Ontario
You will have to adjust your tire pressures to find what works best for your setup and the track conditions. Place the weight as far forward in the box as possible and be at the max weight limit and hitch height.
Good luck and have fun with it.

JD Dave

In way over my head
May 19, 2008
Caledon, Ontario
Talk to Mark at Danvill Performance, he will get you taken of.

Yep Marks the man. Not sure what the rules are on blocks or spring clamps. Keeping your hitch height is very important. Might want to run air bags and spring clamps if you can't run blocks.

smokinblack

Jun 14, 2010
Hamilton,Ont
I was between Danville and kory Willis but figured mark bro vial would have more sled pulling experience so il talk to him. Also any rear suspension is aloud this year so I plan on using my merchant auto suspension stops and clamping springs too. I have some tractor weights but these trucks are so light I think I will need a lot

07metallicgreen

Nov 24, 2011
Smicksburg, PA
lockers and a custom hitch would help. you could do bigger injectors also. around here the bfg's and sts's are the best choices for tires. usually with the bfgs you have to get a little taller and spin faster to get them to bit as good it seems

smokinblack

Jun 14, 2010
Hamilton,Ont
We are only allowed weight in the box, I built a box at the front of the truck box to put all my weight in that way its as forward as it can be. Id like to do a front e-locker but Im going to wait and see what happens and how many guys are even willing to do all the work to their trucks for a local class. Im worried there will only be a few of us and then they end up having to change the rules to make it more friendly for other people to join. Then a lot of work il be doing will be wasted time if that's the case.

smokinblack

Jun 14, 2010
Hamilton,Ont
Yes lockers are aloud, it's the air kill,cross bolts, driveshaft shields for every u joint and lots more for just a local class is the rediculous part. I plan on 2nd gear launch trans tune also

fast03

Jun 15, 2008
Rancho Cucamonga
Clamp the springs, trac bars, get to max allowed weight. I ran 33" BFGs and never ran my max effort tune. I usually ran a tune that would fuel hard at midrange and competed well against trucks that spent too much time spinning tires and not building ground speed.