Bug Deflectors - Are they worthwhile and which one ?

workin' diesel

factory tuned
Nov 13, 2010
Coalhust, AB Canada
I have a weather tech on the minivan. Looks good and has lasted through a few winters. I have an AVS on the Dmax and this winter it split from top to bottom right in line witha mounting screw. I do not know what casued it. I actually thought AVS was a good brand too. On my truck it really came in handy for protecting the front of the hood from stone chips. When I got the truck there were tons of chips. I filled and painted them and then put the bug deflector on. i also have a radiator screen from Fia. It came with a winter cover and the screen. That one has snaps that screw to the front of the grill. Some people do not like that style for asthetic reasons.

Utahski

Oct 20, 2008
Northern Utah
Bug deflectors are good for keeping stone chips off the hood, but they don't deflect bugs or anything else. My '94 has a bug deflector and driving at any speed through falling snow, even very light dry snow, you can watch it come right back onto the windshield.....the deflector has no effect on wind flow. Driving across the desert every bug in a 6' wide swath winds up in the radiator or on the windshield. Bug deflectors don't deflect bugs. And clearbra works just as well for stone chips.

Hoosier

Stock is Slow
Mar 27, 2012
Indiana
I have a weather tech on the minivan. Looks good and has lasted through a few winters. I have an AVS on the Dmax and this winter it split from top to bottom right in line witha mounting screw. I do not know what casued it. I actually thought AVS was a good brand too. On my truck it really came in handy for protecting the front of the hood from stone chips. When I got the truck there were tons of chips. I filled and painted them and then put the bug deflector on. i also have a radiator screen from Fia. It came with a winter cover and the screen. That one has snaps that screw to the front of the grill. Some people do not like that style for asthetic reasons.

My AVS did the exact same thing this winter!

Hoosier

Stock is Slow
Mar 27, 2012
Indiana
I don't know what it was. We did have some really cold temps this winter and I do go under the hood frequently after snow plowing. Don't know if I slammed the hood too hard or what?

I think a sheet of snow off the roof of the barn hit mine. That's the only thing I can think of.

PureHybrid

Isuzu Shakes IT
Feb 15, 2012
Central OH
I have an AVS on mine, it was on there when I bought it, still in good shape. Not sure if I would bother putting one on a new truck, but I like it on there. I just dont like washing/waxing behind it!

Grant67

Mar 3, 2016
If you're impatient and follow people close like me then they're worth it. My old hood got trashed with all the driving I was doing. The shield helps. I like this one. Autopartsguy