BT DieselWorks 2001-2005 Allison tap-shift kit

duratothemax

<--- slippery roads
Aug 28, 2006
Wyoming
Well guys ive been super busy with things, but I finally got around to getting this into a finalized production-ready easy-to-install kit.

I started this project way back in 2006, way before anyone else had figured it out. Admittedly those first tap-shift modules from years ago had some bugs/quirks, but it was proof that you could infact do something that people had been wondering since the 6-speed came out....can you add the tap-shift feature to a 2001-2005 5-speed.

Ive had the original 'basic' prototype working in my truck for a couple years, but it wasnt until the past year that I really started to get it together into a complete, easy to install kit that is reasonably priced.

The module itself is very small (about the size of a credit card) and easily mounts under the dash. I decided to do it this way because if I mounted the box in the engine bay, I was worried about water intrusion and did not want to risk destroying the components because the module was not weather-tight.

Once the module is mounted under the dash, the installation is simple; you unplug your existing 5-speed shifter, remove the shifter, bolt in the 6-speed shifter, and plug it in. Factory connectors are used to make installation quick and easy.

Under the hood, the installation is simple as well. No wires are cut, so its easy to go back to factory/stock at any time. All you have to do is remove the red TCM connector shield and insert the Tap-Shift module pins into the connector. Just like installing a DSP switch.

The other unique feature of the BT DieselWorks tap-shift module is that you can have a toggle switch to flip between "manual" and "auto". When the switch in "auto", the shifter functions work normally, just like factory. The up/down tap-shift buttons have no effect. Only when you flip the auto/manual switch does it go into tap-shift mode and let you select gears manually with the up/down buttons on the shifter. This way you can keep the truck in "auto" mode and lock-out the manual shifting even if you accidentally hit the up/down buttons. Of course there is a safety lock-out too; if you are in manual mode and shift to neutral, reverse, or park, it will override the Tap-Shift module regardless of what gear you have selected manually.

Complete kit (shifter included) with module that mounts under the dash
IMG_0909Large.jpg

Factory connectors
IMG_0910Large.jpg

IMG_0911Large.jpg

Factory pins to add to the TCM C2 (red) connector
IMG_0912Small.jpg

IMG_0917Large.jpg

It will be just a little while longer until I actually have them ready to ship out, but please email me ([email protected]) or PM me if you are interested and I will put you on the list. If you email me, be sure to include your forum screen-name. The tap-shift module for the 2003-2005 trucks will be available first, followed shortly after by the module for the 2001-2002 trucks.

I have not finalized pricing yet, but the kit will be priced similarly to or slightly less than my Allison TCC lockup controllers.

thanks
Ben

duratothemax

<--- slippery roads
Aug 28, 2006
Wyoming
Will you be able to start off in 2nd 3rd 4th 5th or will it still only allow 1st gear starts?

No, 1st gear starts only. Basically the same as if you moved the shift lever up and down. Only now, instead of moving the shift lever up and down, you're pressing two buttons.

Sledheadxp800r

That was only my tow tune
Dec 13, 2010
CT
No, 1st gear starts only. Basically the same as if you moved the shift lever up and down. Only now, instead of moving the shift lever up and down, you're pressing two buttons.

Any way this can be done without an efilive tuned ECM?

Last edited:

duratothemax

<--- slippery roads
Aug 28, 2006
Wyoming
These are ready to go as of today! Pricing is $399.00 plus shipping. (and 3% for paypal fees if you pay with paypal)

This kit includes everything, the shifter, module, connectors etc. The kit includes the proper pins to go into the TCM connector so you dont have to cut any wires. This makes it easy to go back to stock if you wish to do so.

As with all of my products, these have a lifetime warranty.

If you already have a 6-speed shifter, you can order the kit without the shifter for $359.00

Note: If you buy the kit without the shifter, the shifter must be from an 06 LLY or LBZ truck. An LMM shifter will not work with this kit, as the connector is different. Also, you will have to bend the shifter slightly. If you buy the complete kit, the shifter is pre-bent to work properly and bolt right in to a 2001-2005 column.

Please send me an email with your shipping address (and include your forum screen-name as well) to place an order. btdieselworks "at" gmail.com

thanks
Ben

The Neens

BFD
Staff member
Aug 10, 2006
Monrovia, Ca.
I've verified the wiring at the harness is correct, 12V+ and ground are good, T/H works, Tap Shifter DOES NOT...2 emails to you so far, any ideas Ben?

The Neens

BFD
Staff member
Aug 10, 2006
Monrovia, Ca.
I've verified the wiring at the harness is correct, 12V+ and ground are good, T/H works, Tap Shifter DOES NOT...2 emails to you so far, any ideas Ben?

Update...Turns out that our '02 had an interference issue with the aftermarket Alpine head unit...Ben sent me another module, that had been tested in 2 trucks, to try and it had similar issues...I ended up using a ground loop isolator for the stereo, and the problem (static thru the speakers when tap shifting) went away...

A thanks to Ben for shipping out the 2nd module and help with the troubleshooting...

super diesel

<<<< Under Pressure
I hope you have one ready for me this spring Ben. Driving these mountains with 13K to 23K with this Garrett I run is a challenge unless manually shifting to avoid EXTREME egts. Sweet spots must be maintained. I run up the west and east sides of the Eisenhower tunnel all the time.

Question. Will it show on the dash what gear it's in? No big deal if it doesn't, just curious.